Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Responder

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Bloody Hell.

On the back of this thread, we watched episode 1 last night. Brilliant, gripping TV, with Freeman predictably superb - he really is as good as it gets, isn't he?

We sat, open mouthed and silent, for a good two minutes at the end.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Responder review – Martin Freeman is magnificent in tour de police force;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....reeman-is-magnificent-in-tour-de-police-force

“The torque on the remaining four episodes (I looked ahead – I was unable to look away) is phenomenal, as is the blistering humanity and desperation of it all. In the therapist’s office, historical damage is revealed as the misery handed on from man to man is overlaid by new, more urgent problems.
The Responder is as fast and riveting as a thriller and as harrowing as a documentary. It says profound things about the toll frontline jobs can take on our compassion and our morals; how fragile every structure, from an individual’s psyche to society en masse, is without emotional, financial and political support; and what happens when we become uncoupled from each other and have nowhere to turn. If you are looking for a state-of-the-nation piece, it is here”.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks for pointing me in this direction. Enjoyed the first episode, dark and layered, just up my street. I know understand the Stephen Graham reference earlier in the thread. Top work! Coincidently I’m watching him in The Boardwalk Empire too.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thanks for pointing me in this direction. Enjoyed the first episode, dark and layered, just up my street. I know understand the Stephen Graham reference earlier in the thread. Top work! Coincidently I’m watching him in The Boardwalk Empire too.

The director of The Responder, Phillip Barantini has just directed Stephen Graham in Boiling Point which is rather good too. He’s also directed some ropey London Gangster pics with Craig Fairbrass. Done a fair bit of acting too. In late 90’s football drama Dream Team and Band of Brothers among others. He also appears in The Responder as the partner’s abusive boyfriend, Steve. Fact fans.

In fact here he is in BoB with SG…

E7BED556-F76F-410C-BDF8-1CF25F5DB816.jpeg

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
The director of The Responder, Phillip Barantini has just directed Stephen Graham in Boiling Point which is rather good too. He’s also directed some ropey London Gangster pics with Craig Fairbrass. Done a fair bit of acting too. In late 90’s football drama Dream Team and Band of Brothers among others. He also appears in The Responder as the partner’s abusive boyfriend, Steve. Fact fans.

In fact here he is in BoB with SG…

View attachment 144483

I revisited Band Of Brothers recently, it’s like a who’s who of British acting talent!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I revisited Band Of Brothers recently, it’s like a who’s who of British acting talent!

Virtually every actor who we know now was in it. I had my first ever uncredited stunt role on one of the episodes, was still training at the time so I was mainly stood around with a fire extinguisher.
True story. :smile: Jeebers! maybe 23 years ago? Dear oh dear!

Anyway we filmed in Ashdown Forest. In a big ditch mainly :)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Have to say thought it was brilliant - hard work, full on intensity with some brilliant one liners. Well worth a watch - don't bail out after 10 mins...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It seems plausible to me - I had to put subtitles on to understand the accent, lad. Minder type comedy.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just binge watched it, excellent but took some getting used to Martin Freeman with a Scouse accent

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
In fairness, anyone with a scouse accent takes some getting used too, frankly it grates me full stop.

That is a very ignorant comment and by that I do not mean to cause offence. It is akin to stating 'anyone with a southern accent...' when as we know there are many manifestations, some closer to standard and pretty inoffensive, and others such as cockney or the very recently emerged Multicultural London English, which personally I do not care for. Martin Freeman's accent is very north Liverpool and inner city, with a lot of harsh sounding words - see 'pick up a chicken from Breck Road' for example. However, there are some lovely soft Scouse accents which are a little more middle class and also older slower scouse such as Ringo Starr or George Harrison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here