Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Barry Cryer - RIP

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I thought he died about 30 year ago then I realised I was thinking about Michael Bentine

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Probably his greatest skill was to adapt with the times and work with comedians in the here and now.

No sniping from the wings about modern "alternative comedy" etc..

That's puts in him in a very exclusive club, Bob Monkhouse and Ronnie Corbett spring to mind.

Also showed how incredibly adaptable he was. Often behind the scenes but easily one of the great comedy legends, end of.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You know about the guy who shot a golden eagle. He was in court in front of a magistrate.

The magistrate said: "This is a dreadful thing".

He said: "I never intended to. I was shooting pheasants and it flew into my line of fire."

The magistrate said, "Okay. Out of interest, what did you do with it?"

He said: "I ate it."

The magistrate said: "Good god, what did it taste like?"

He replied: "Rather like swan."

:lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
“A man drives down a country lane and runs over a cockerel. He knocks at a nearby farmhouse door and a woman answers.

“‘I appear to have killed your cockerel,’ he says. ‘I’d like to replace it.’ The woman replies: ‘Please yourself – the hens are round the back.’”

:lolol:

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Took my late dad to see him, knew he was a superb writer but I was blown away by his life story... the man was mesmerising, laughed so much. lovely memories of that for both men now gone... Barry Cryer - they dont make them like that anymore... he remained relevant. Been a pleasure.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Absolute comedy legend, who by all accounts was a lovely bloke too, which is always a bonus.
And was always happy to take the mick out of himself, too, which is why I feel it's only right to post this excellent number from the highly amusing Jay Foreman:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I was lucky enough to meet him once. I was hosting a corporate awards event at the Dorchester and we'd hired Barry as the turn. His fee was significantly lower than most other comics we used over the years.

Every other comic we hired would turn up just before we went on stage and would bugger off the moment their bit was done. Not Barry. He was there for the drinks reception, happily smoking on his own before I went up and introduced myself. He was charming and engaging and soon had a small group of us hanging on his every word as the anecdotes started to pour out. He must have told them all a million times before, but he still seemed to delight in sharing them.

On stage he was masterful. He did a very good routine, including material he'd customised for us. I'm sure it bore a resemblance to stuff he'd written for other corporates but you could tell he'd taken the trouble to do a bit of research.

After his bit was finished he sat down and enjoyed his meal with the rest of the guests – unheard of for us, as I say – and gave warm applause to all the winners.

A few days later, when we were all still buzzing from meeting him and so appreciative of the way he'd made the evening so memorable, we received a letter from him, thanking us for having him. Again, unheard of.

I was and remain a fan of Barry Cryer for all he achieved in his comedy career. But like so many others, I'll also remember him as an extremely nice and generous man.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This was in today's Times:

Another Cryer joke: a priest is sitting in the confessional and hears a person enter the box. After a couple of minutes they haven’t said anything so the priest knocks on the wall. No reply. A minute later he knocks again and a voice says: “Knock all you like, there’s no paper in here either.”

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was lucky enough to meet him once. I was hosting a corporate awards event at the Dorchester and we'd hired Barry as the turn. His fee was significantly lower than most other comics we used over the years.

Every other comic we hired would turn up just before we went on stage and would bugger off the moment their bit was done. Not Barry. He was there for the drinks reception, happily smoking on his own before I went up and introduced myself. He was charming and engaging and soon had a small group of us hanging on his every word as the anecdotes started to pour out. He must have told them all a million times before, but he still seemed to delight in sharing them.

On stage he was masterful. He did a very good routine, including material he'd customised for us. I'm sure it bore a resemblance to stuff he'd written for other corporates but you could tell he'd taken the trouble to do a bit of research.

After his bit was finished he sat down and enjoyed his meal with the rest of the guests – unheard of for us, as I say – and gave warm applause to all the winners.

A few days later, when we were all still buzzing from meeting him and so appreciative of the way he'd made the evening so memorable, we received a letter from him, thanking us for having him. Again, unheard of.

I was and remain a fan of Barry Cryer for all he achieved in his comedy career. But like so many others, I'll also remember him as an extremely nice and generous man.
What a marvellous tribute.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Nice words, and I'm delighted that someone lives up to the impression they give out. Always loved his work and could listen to him for hours. The recent podcasts with Danny Baker were lovely.

Great man.

RIP

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think he'd have liked this:
a759b5d8246a7efc279450f0d629ed1a.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here