Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans' Forum follow-up on the season ticket sharing scheme

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
A great analysis from Bozza. So bottom line is, if the club had raised every ST price by 20 quid, we would have thought that was very reasonable.
And then the club announce the sharing scheme is now free, most would have claimed a victory.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The majority of people buy season tickets to see football at 3pm on a Saturday,.

Liverpool had a fanzine called When Sunday Comes in 1990 (a play on the still going magazine When Saturday Comes) - reflecting that their games were always moved for TV.
32 years ago...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It is still profiteering though IMO - it’s not the maximum level of profiteering that they can have implemented, however, that doesn’t change what it is.

The three season ticket holder to two one mentioned in the initial body is the exact reason it’s a daft policy. That won’t be an isolated case. Continuing as was would have made the club more money. I’m not sure this policy makes the issue covered in Bozza’s second post go away.

This club is many things but judging by the accounts a profiteer is not one of them.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
First things first - That announcement clearly isn't all bad by a long way. Price freezing again is great and they have avoided the obvious way round this of a 1% increase across the board and scrapping the £20. I get the point that not everyone wants to lend out an ST albeit I can't say I've ever met anyone who'd rather their seat was empty when they weren't there. Also, it's fair to say the club do think about these issues much more than I give them credit for reading what [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has posted and haven't taken any decisions lightly. I have a small gripe that some of the transfering of tickets was bought in under the guise of covid which we've moved on from. Fair enough on that point but some honesty up front might blunt the calls of bullshit from the beginning about why the scheme was introduced.

Its also good that you can lend out for a game a season for free. For example, I didn't bother with Everton at home this year as my mate was at a wedding. I'd normally borrow his ticket(s) in that scenario. ​It was the only game he has missed all season and we decided it really wasn't worth us coughing 90 quid between us for 1 game and 2 tickets. At least that scenario is avoided albeit you could argue 1 game is tight given it won't be long before we kick off at midnight to gain a better audience in Saudi but let's not go there.

Where I think we will still see loads of empty seats is the transfer to a MyAlbion+ member only bit. I've never been a fan of buying this as a non ST holder. The benefits for sales windows and the like are so negligible as to not worth bothering with. I aceept that If you want to borrow a ST it is a necessary evil now. For me and my youngest - we go to as many games we realistically can a year - I will reluctantly pay it. The wider picture is that I used to begrudgingly drag the wife and eldest along to a game a season. Sometimes my Dad who was a season ticket at the Goldstone. They don't want or need Albion+ and consequently aren't likely to go to anything anymore when spare seats crop up. 1901 members can still transfer to whoever they want (I'm pretty sure but happy to be corrected) , why the difference for "normal" fans? If you have a fan number they'd know who the tickets were going to. Surely it's worth trying to encourage the new fan?

Lastly, If the objective really is to find out whose going, this scheme to an extent will do the opposite. If I was a ST holder I'd insist on going back to paper or utilise a tech fix.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One thing that stands out from this is the very low profits made from fans. £100K here & £100K there plus £2.4 million for 5000 seats over a season.
Put these figures up against the £Millions we get to play at 8:15 Saturday night and you can see where the clubs priority is.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get this.

We are a Premier League club. The Premier League has a raft of high-paying media deals which means games are played at different times of the week. We enter the FA Cup, a competition that, again, has pre-arranged media deals for when selected games are going to be screened. Clubs have limited influence on these things, at least in the very short term.

However, despite this...

- The club did push for the Spurs game to be played earlier in order to give Albion fans more travel options. Spurs were happy with that and the FA were happy with that but the broadcaster, ITV in this instance, wanted to retain the 8pm kick-off.
- There was no detail provided, but it sounded like there was an attempt to move the kick-off time of the West Brom tie *after* Albion fans had already bought match tickets, but the club resisted that move.
- I might get in trouble for this bit, but I know for a fact that the postponement of the Manchester United league game was announced when it was - early Thursday afternoon - because our club pushed for the announcement to save fans from unnecesary travel. Many other games being postponed were announced far closer to kick-off than ours.

Clubs have their hands tied, to a degree on things like kick-off times, but I see more than enough evidence to honestly believe that our club works very hard on our behalf to give us the best of what is possible.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We are a PL club, not getting all this searching behind the sofa for lose change with this and the Spurs cup tickets.

A PL club which lost £67m for the season covered by the last published accounts.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for the clarification. There’s still a bit of a contradiction in the various options in my view - all of the issues he attributes arising when tickets can be shared by a simple passing in of a card also applies to ST Guest tickets, which are still flogged for every home game with no idea who is using them (away fans, banned fans and could easily be touted etc).

Still sense there’s a fair number (like me) a little frustrated that there’s no (legitimate) way at all of passing a single ticket to a non-member, even once a season, but what was clear from the forum - and reinforced in the response above - is the drive (and rationale in terms of relative conversion rate to STH) to get people to become members which makes sense from the club’s perspective (both in terms of revenue, and future marketing).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A great analysis from Bozza. So bottom line is, if the club had raised every ST price by 20 quid, we would have thought that was very reasonable.
And then the club announce the sharing scheme is now free, most would have claimed a victory.

That's the point I took away as well.

I've never thought the club was "profiteering" as such but have had an issue with the impact on people who want an ST but struggle to make ends meet. The bloke I travel to games with has 2 STs for him and his teenage son and was married when he got them and contracting. Now he has split up and is paying rent and mortgage and has also had to go permanent because of IR35. £20 has gone from easily affordable to something he has moaned about all season and, as a result, his seats have been empty for four home games this season.

But actually, had the club just increased his ST by £20 for him and £10 for his son and spread the cost by DD would he really have noticed or complained?

I'm coming at this from the lucky PoV of someone who could pay the £20 if I wanted without any real impact on my budget but then I try to get to most games. The obvious exception was Brentford and I certainly wasn't going to pay a one off £20 to miss that when I had exactly zero people asking me for the ticket.

The point about "unwanteds" though - I don't think the same rigor is applied to away tickets. ID isn't checked by the home club and with Covid I do wonder if there are Tier 1ers who aren't going away any more but racking up the points and passing the tickets to those in lower bands?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We are a PL club, not getting all this searching behind the sofa for lose change with this and the Spurs cup tickets.

Amazing isn't it that they have a chairman and board who aren't keen on them losing the odd 50K here and there. Oh well.

tonybloom.jpg

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Some good information in there Bozza, which does help give a different side of the story.

Not sure about this aspect though: The club have also seen a further knock-on effect of the scheme where some families who previously held, say, 3 season tickets, now hold just 2 as well as an additional club membership knowing that they can make do by legitimately sharing their 2 season tickets across the wider family at a reduced cost.

If people weren't bothered about seeing every game then previously they could have dropped to 2 tickets and shared them among themselves for free. I know there was a limit on how often this could be done 'officially' but seem to remember it was quite a few games, and that assumes the ST holders were being up front about who was actually using the ticket. So I can't see how paying for the privilege makes that more attractive.

A combination of COVID wariness and tough times for a lot of people's finances therefore seem a more likely explanation for ditching a season ticket, in which case the purchase of an additional club membership would be a bonus for the club, rather than money lost.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whilst I'd rather the sharing recipient didn't have to be a MyAlbion+ member after that fans' forum I've come round to the club's thinking on this. Clearly the club are trying to be responsive so they can offer a scheme that benefits both us STHs AND the club themselves. Having a once a season ability to share your season ticket as a STH guest ticket (meaning no MA+ membership) would be the ideal addition to the scheme for me; to be used if you are sick/ill at short notice and want to pass it on quickly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whilst I'd rather the sharing recipient didn't have to be a MyAlbion+ member after that fans' forum I've come round to the club's thinking on this. Clearly the club are trying to be responsive so they can offer a scheme that benefits both us STHs AND the club themselves. Having a once a season ability to share your season ticket as a STH guest ticket (meaning no MA+ membership) would be the ideal addition to the scheme for me; to be used if you are sick/ill at short notice and want to pass it on quickly.

Agreed…….policy and rationale is fully understandable from the club’s perspective and I doubt they’d ever please all of the people all of the time. Incidentally I suggested this to PB/JG months ago when the ST scheme came in (including potentially charging for doing it in the same way a concession can be upgraded)

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
What an over complicated mess. Just increase the season ticket price by 1.5% and make the sharing free to the season ticket holder, keeping the Albion membership requirement (but reducing the cost of it imo). Too much emphasis by the club on being able to promote "freezing" prices and then confusing all and sundry with the options. Keep it simple and a £8-12 rise is less likely to stop ST renewal than a perception of "too much palava/red tape/ control" by the club, imho.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
How are you losing with the cup tickets? Each club receives a share of the gate money.

The club have to buy all the tickets in advance and don't get refunds for tickets they don't sell. They projected that they wouldn't sell 9000.
In the forum they suggested the gap would be about £50K worth of tickets or the equivalent of 2 jobs or in your phrase "loose change".

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
What an over complicated mess. Just increase the season ticket price by 1.5% and make the sharing free to the season ticket holder, keeping the Albion membership requirement (but reducing the cost of it imo). Too much emphasis by the club on being able to promote "freezing" prices and then confusing all and sundry with the options. Keep it simple and a £8-12 rise is less likely to stop ST renewal than a perception of "too much palava/red tape/ control" by the club, imho.

This would of been so much easier but Brighton don’t do easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
You’re buying a product under terms and conditions provided by the seller and the use of which is further governed by legislation. It’s very different to buying a pencil.

Yes of course I understand but it’s just all part of the being just a customer and not a fan that just winds me up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here