Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans' Forum follow-up on the season ticket sharing scheme

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Thanks yes I agree it depends on the permission of the club in the Terms and Conditions. This is prohibited in the Ts & Cs for Brighton season tickets. However, Terms and Conditions have to be fair and reasonable. Is it fair and reasonable that if I have paid for a season ticket, I can't on occasion give it to a friend or family member. I am not sure how well this would stand up in court if challenged particularly as the club do allow the transfer of use of other types of tickets. I think that the arguments around cost to the club are a deliberate distraction here. No one is denying that Tony Bloom has put vast sums of money into the club or that in general the club is very well run. We are all very lucky. However, fundamentally, I think that if I buy something (at a considerable cost - this is not a minor purchase) I should within reason be able to use that purchase how I like. This includes letting a friend or family member occasionally use a season ticket.

Any challenge wouldn’t be against the club’s T&Cs regarding sharing/passing on/lending your season ticket but rather against a duly enacted law of the land that specifically states that to do so is a criminal offence.

Good luck with that.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Apart from the accidental year change you are confirming you want a benefit at no charge.

Yes I give away and receive tickets for Gigs, Theatre, Test Matches etc and think we should be able to do the same. Unlike guest tickets No problem if contact details required. Myself and mate very rarely miss a game and when we have it is because something has cropped up close to KO. Until this season ours and many round us have been empty because 1) none of us know an Albion member that does not attend and 2) not easy to ask somebody for £25 when you are sometimes trying to persuade them to come.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thanks yes I agree it depends on the permission of the club in the Terms and Conditions. This is prohibited in the Ts & Cs for Brighton season tickets. However, Terms and Conditions have to be fair and reasonable. Is it fair and reasonable that if I have paid for a season ticket, I can't on occasion give it to a friend or family member. I am not sure how well this would stand up in court if challenged particularly as the club do allow the transfer of use of other types of tickets. I think that the arguments around cost to the club are a deliberate distraction here. No one is denying that Tony Bloom has put vast sums of money into the club or that in general the club is very well run. We are all very lucky. However, fundamentally, I think that if I buy something (at a considerable cost - this is not a minor purchase) I should within reason be able to use that purchase how I like. This includes letting a friend or family member occasionally use a season ticket.

You don't own the seat. All you have purchased is the right to enter someone else's property subject to their terms and conditions, not your terms and conditions.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What’s utter tosh? That’s how Ltd companies work it’s a separate legal entity all the money in the Ltd company account belongs to the company. You can say we didn’t want to waste the companies money on Spurs tickets you can’t say we didn’t want to waste Tony Blooms money on Spurs tickets which they did say.

You’re right….it’s actually the shareholders of the limited company that are losing. It’s incredible, one of them has even lent the company over £300 million, and continues to lend more every year we lose more money (for clarity, the limited company doesn’t have ‘money in it’s account’ - it’s massively in debt).

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
You’re right….it’s actually the shareholders of the limited company that are losing. It’s incredible, one of them has even lent the company over £300 million, and continues to lend more every year we lose more money (for clarity, the limited company doesn’t have ‘money in it’s account’ - it’s massively in debt).

Understand your point. However when I look at the posts on here it is the ridiculous cost of PL football that is the problem. How very sad to have an income of 140/150m and still lose money. Goodness what we would do in championship on an income of 25/30m. Of course I enjoy seeing Albion play in PL but lets face it, it is a gravy train for all players and senior staff

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Q3 for me was Norwich - the have set out how they can exist and that means they are always going to struggle but they bring through a lot of their own players.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Really? The club cannot guarantee anything other than a third round tie and even then you can't budget for the income. You could be playing away at Tottenham in the third round or away at Blyth Spartans. Resulting in two very different levels of income. So on that basis, the cup is very much bonus money.

You think that the BHAFC Finance team and Paul Barber forecast using 'Bonus Money' then you are really still living in the Goldstone era !

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yes I give away and receive tickets for Gigs, Theatre, Test Matches etc and think we should be able to do the same. Unlike guest tickets No problem if contact details required. Myself and mate very rarely miss a game and when we have it is because something has cropped up close to KO. Until this season ours and many round us have been empty because 1) none of us know an Albion member that does not attend and 2) not easy to ask somebody for £25 when you are sometimes trying to persuade them to come.

But those events you refer to are one-off events. A ST sold at a discount from the regular price is another matter entirely. You seem to think you should be entitled to buy 19 discounted tickets, use the ones you want and then give away or sell the remainder to whomever you want.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Understand your point. However when I look at the posts on here it is the ridiculous cost of PL football that is the problem. How very sad to have an income of 140/150m and still lose money. Goodness what we would do in championship on an income of 25/30m. Of course I enjoy seeing Albion play in PL but lets face it, it is a gravy train for all players and senior staff

Agree, but nothing at all to do with the point I was responding to :shrug:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
But those events you refer to are one-off events. A ST sold at a discount from the regular price is another matter entirely. You seem to think you should be entitled to buy 19 discounted tickets, use the ones you want and then give away or sell the remainder to whomever you want.

So much is made of how fortunate we are that STs are discounted. Come of it. It is the reason we buy a ST. It is a guaranteed income for the club and a commitment by holder whether they attend or not, I love going to Albion but am sure if I didnt have a ST would likely miss several games and am sure that would be same for many. Friends and relatives know I have a ST and apart from odd exception am not available. I think we have in region of 20k ST holders now. How many do you think we would have if they were not discounted. ?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Do the hosts of these Gigs, theatre and test matches have a list of banning orders they need to cross reference?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You think that the BHAFC Finance team and Paul Barber forecast using 'Bonus Money' then you are really still living in the Goldstone era !

No I never said they forecast using bonus money! I'm just saying when they set out their budgets they're not going to do so on income they can't be reasonable sure of receiving.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So much is made of how fortunate we are that STs are discounted. Come of it. It is the reason we buy a ST. It is a guaranteed income for the club and a commitment by holder whether they attend or not, I love going to Albion but am sure if I didnt have a ST would likely miss several games and am sure that would be same for many. Friends and relatives know I have a ST and apart from odd exception am not available. I think we have in region of 20k ST holders now. How many do you think we would have if they were not discounted. ?

Not sure what point you're trying to make! The discounted price benefits both parties. The club discount your ticket almost on a 'buy 14 and get 5 free, a variation of BOGOF if you like. It's discounted for you, not you and your family and mates. If it were freely allowed then who's to stop someone buying a ST and then flogging the games at inflated prices. It also means the club know who's in their ground. In the past that's be nigh on impossible to control but the more digitalised things become the easier that is for the club.

Covid has had a big impact but once we are a few years down the road then, if the club continue on their current trajectory we'll get a waiting list for STs again and in that case why should friends and family benefit from discounted tickets ahead of those on a waiting list.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
You’re missing the bit that makes it illegal to pass on a football ticket without the permission of the club.

The club never gave permission in the past to share a season ticket.

Don’t think you read what I said correctly.

The club said we are allowed to share our ticket, so is that against the law?

Has there been a massive crackdown on the ‘sharing of season tickets’ by the government? Must’ve missed that in Boris’ latest speech. The next war on drugs.

Have all other clubs been clamping down this hard? For a club that prides itself on being fan/family/customer friendly, this seems like the opposite to me. It chips away at my love for the club.

I bet the Blackpool board sit there and think ‘We have this season ticket holder who goes to 22 home games a season, but has the tenacity to share his ticket with his brother for 1 other home game. So, what we’re going to do is charge him an extra £20 for a game he himself couldn’t attend, despite the club not actually losing any money because the ticket was already paid for.

I just want the club to do well, but I think this will lead to a lot of season ticket holders chucking it in, some might be ok with that. I don’t think this would be that much of an issue if it wasn’t for the games being moved.

Anyway, because of this

fallowfield32

Apr 22, 2016
Whilst I haven't got a massive problem with the ticket sharing system and charging for. Albion+ membership I do when they refuse to let me transfer my ticket to another season ticket holder for one match. I couldn't make a game and my son [sth] wanted his mate to go with him - he holds a st in another stand. The club totally refused saying their policies don't allow this and I would have to put my ticket on the exchange and he could buy it that way......taking the p*ss or what? From what I have read on this post I feel that the swap meets all of the legal guidelines and rules.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

So do you very rarely miss a game or is your seat empty ? On all these threads since the Summer you have been unable to make up your mind about the facts. I really can’t make you out.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I bet the Blackpool board sit there and think ‘We have this season ticket holder who goes to 22 home games a season, but has the tenacity to share his ticket with his brother for 1 other home game.

I just want the club to do well, but I think this will lead to a lot of season ticket holders chucking in.

Blackpools terms re: sharing and potential sanctions are if anything tougher than Brighton … https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/uploads/media/bfc_season_ticket_terms_and_conditions_2021_22_2.pdf

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here