Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are you indifferent…

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fight battles when there is a chance of winning.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
there is too much superficial bullshit in the media detracting attention from the issues mentioned by the journalist , civil liberties are being slowly eroded and there is conflict in many parts of the world , the masses are oblivious.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We have a vote to use every few years. Most of us just keep voting for the same.

We have power in the consumer choices we make, most of us make our choices based on little more than price and cost. The changes we do make are slow to take effect but changes nonetheless.

If we push our choices too quickly or forcefully we are accused of preaching or 'canceling' what we don't approve of.

We have allowed our power from unions to be eroded and seen our governments starting to outlaw protest (while they champion free speech).

Nothing will change much because we don't really want it to. I don't really know why? Is it the risk?

Yeah I am indifferent in a lot of ways because the frustration of trying and fighting is bad for the mental health. I still try to make better choices about stuff but those choices seem to be getting narrower and narrower.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Yes. It’s a necessary self-defence mechanism that allows me to continue to live in this world, when logic suggests that the sensible course of action would be to see if there’s anything after or have the peace of non-existence.

That what we have created as a world is what anyone, however sociopathic, would choose to create, frankly, makes me nauseous. We have every tool we need to ensure a basic level of health, education and human happiness across all of global society, but like toddlers that won’t share their toys, we withhold not just luxuries from each other, but the materials needed to make basic existence tolerable. We don’t tolerate such behaviour in our children, but glorify it in adulthood.

Besides, I want to hang on until we’ve had a 20 goal a season striker in the Premier League. I suspect I’ll die of old age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I think there's a sense of powerlessness that can be mistaken for indifference too. Protest seems to change nothing, and when facts and commonsense are secondary to emotion and opinion it can feel like the battles will never be won.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I woke up this morning and listened to Five Live's specials about the Qatar world cup and wondered how we are all going to react to the spin provided by the officials. I am disapointed to acknowledge that their is a good chance that I am going to turn a blind eye to the stuff I strongly disagree with and watch the World Cup with plastic enthusiasm covering my disappointment in myself and everyone else.

Yep, resigned indifference because looking at the wider world with anything else is enough to make you scream.

What a thoroughly depressing thread.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
there is too much superficial bullshit in the media detracting attention from the issues mentioned by the journalist , civil liberties are being slowly eroded and there is conflict in many parts of the world , the masses are oblivious.

There is a lot of wisdom and pragmatic realism in this thread. I like the above observation that our attention is diverted onto stories in the media that we would rather read about, the latest celebrity gossip, a cute animal story , or Boris’s birthday cake…..
The masses are oblivious because they want to be oblivious.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think there's a sense of powerlessness that can be mistaken for indifference too. Protest seems to change nothing, and when facts and commonsense are secondary to emotion and opinion it can feel like the battles will never be won.

We live in a world where we have 'had enough of experts". Emotion and opinion are king.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There is a lot of wisdom and pragmatic realism in this thread. I like the above observation that our attention is diverted onto stories in the media that we would rather read about, the latest celebrity gossip, a cute animal story , or Boris’s birthday cake…..

"The public wants what the public gets" - Paul Weller

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

What’s wrong with that ? We have lives to lead, personal issues to deal with, health, family etc etc. why would you want to sit around wringing your hands like a teenager about unsolvable problems. People aren’t oblivious. They just don’t make the same life choices as you might.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What’s wrong with that ? We have lives to lead, personal issues to deal with, health, family etc etc. why would you want to sit around wringing your hands like a teenager about unsolvable problems. People aren’t oblivious. They just don’t make the same life choices as you might.

I think this is the notion posed by the article posted by the OP.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

protesters , in general , are demonised by the media , and in Australia have been recorded , traced and arrested at home days after protesting.

Fritz the Cat

Jan 6, 2022
protesters , in general , are demonised by the media , and in Australia have been recorded , traced and arrested at home days after protesting.
Weren't they the ones breaking Covid lockdown though ? You know, the ones that think that Q-Anon had a monopoly on truth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here