Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Womens Ashes

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
My Mind has just been blown.
I have just found out that women play with a different size cricket ball to men.
I have played cricket all my life from a 8yr old boy to a 40yr old man & we always played with the same size ball.
I have also played with & against girls using the same ball.
We now live in a world where equality should not even be am issue.
So why are female cricketers not given the same equipment as male cricketers.
Maybe I am just behind the times but why can’t both Boys & Girls play together using the same equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
In youth cricket the ball is smaller and weighs less. That has always been the way.

Girls and boys DO play together using the same equipment.

In adult cricket, women are generally smaller and physiologically less powerful. So the ball is smaller and the boundaries are shorter.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
In youth cricket the ball is smaller and weighs less. That has always been the way.

In adult cricket, women are generally smaller and physiologically less powerful. So the ball is smaller and the boundaries are shorter.

Do female footballers play with a smaller. lighter ball on a smaller pitch? Do female rugby players play play with a smaller, lighter ball on a smaller pitch? Do female marathon runners run a shorter distance? Do female tennis players play with a lighter ball on a smaller court?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
The mens adult cricket ball has always been about 16% heavier and larger than a youth cricket ball. Same for ladies cricket, it’s smaller because physiologically their hands are smaller. Try getting a small hand to get spinning revs on a large ball, and it just doesn’t work. So it’s only natural.

Just rejoice in the knowledge that things look bigger in a woman’s hand than a man’s…

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
What I mean is, imagine Shane Warne trying to get revs on a cricket ball the size of a grapefruit, it just would not work. And spin would be lost from the game. And so, it should not be lost from the womens game.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Do female rugby players play play with a smaller, lighter ball on a smaller pitch?

This is an ongoing debate and there have been trials with smaller balls but most women prefer larger balls.

And as others have pointed out, it's not true that kids and men play with the same size balls. I have two bags of balls under my desk right now and there's a clear difference between them.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Do female footballers play with a smaller. lighter ball on a smaller pitch? Do female rugby players play play with a smaller, lighter ball on a smaller pitch? Do female marathon runners run a shorter distance? Do female tennis players play with a lighter ball on a smaller court?

As the post below yours explains, the reasons for the smaller ball are sensible and practical.

There is no need, physiologically, to change things in the other sports that you mention. They cannot be compared in a way that makes any sense.

Where it does make sense, there are variations. For example: shot put, discus.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good start by England - Healy for a quacker

EDIT And another. Perry in, get her out and we're laughing

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good start by England - Healy for a quacker

EDIT And another. Perry in, get her out and we're laughing
That went well then?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That went well then?

:lolol: I went to bed when Perry was out - I thought we'd got this. The commentators were saying it's a good bating track, once you see off the new ball, so we're not completely out of it. But it will be tough to win from here. Even if we draw, we need to win all three ODIs ... and Australia are awesome at ODI cricket

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
This is an ongoing debate....but most women prefer larger balls

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That was a shocking review - is she related to Stuart Broad?

Not looking good for England here

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just woken up and see that Knight is taking on the Aussies single handed - what a superb knock :clap::clap:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Exciting finish.

England need 21 from 23 balls, three wickets remain

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Cracking match that. The women really should play more test cricket. One game is not enough

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Now we smaller goals in the WPL so the young ladies can’t be lobbed so easily.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here