Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Hive or other such products

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I bought one of these mid pandemic and have had two professionals in since (plumber and electrician) both didn’t want to touch it with a barge pole. Then I asked a mate who’s business is commercial electrician installations and he said it’s a nightmare…

So it still sits in its box gathering dust but I’m thinking after your efforts I might have a go!
I think they are reasonably straight forward but then I’m a super sparks :D

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I think they are reasonably straight forward but then I’m a super sparks :D

They are, if you know what you are doing tho.. and only a Gas Safe engineer can open the boiler case of course.. :p

For others on this thread here's my run down of thermostats that will save you money over old bi-metallic analogue stats: (largely C+P from an email i've previously sent to a client asking about these)

LC = Load comp; WC = Weather Comp, OT = Opentherm 12v language

Nest.
I like these but they do have faults.
They talk both Opentherm (OT) 12v and 240v switching, but it's being dropped by Alphabet very soon, as it doesn't 'talk' the new language that future Google products do.
Has a basic 'postcode' WC built in, plus LC
I've replaced 4 Heat links (the receiver part of the Nest) in past month, they fail a lot. Google will pay approx £100 for two visits of an installer to remove and replace it if in warranty.
Nest can often have a legionaires' setting which fires up in middle of night.
Nest forgets optimised CH settings and fires up CH in middle of night as it 'thinks' it 'might' take 4 hours to get to your desired CH temp... @bn9_bha [MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION]

Hive.
Mainly a BG product so i dont fit many - Only talks 240v switching, has LC and WC

Honeywell.
T3 and T4 are great cheap wireless stats. LC, OT and 240v. Not app based

T6 - very good, app based, takes a while to set up Honeywell home app. Can add smart TRV's, LC and WC built in. OT and 240v

Evo home - very good. As per T6

Tado - very good, UI isnt great, have to pay for some services now. WC and LC. Talks lots of languages - OT, 240v, Ebus, WB (i think)

Drayton Wiser - Cheap version of Tado/Evo. - Pretty good, but forgets my log in all the time, so not faultless, built down to a price (over quality). LC, WC, OT, 240v smart TRV's

HTH

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
[MENTION=230]Rowdey[/MENTION]
Good post above, you obviously know your heating controls.

The Nest has a setting called True Radiant, one we shut this off it switches on and off as the programme we have set, no more being too hot overnight.

272FFB81-75EA-4D48-9406-B778B8FE1E2E.jpeg

:lolol: These 2 are not impressed

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I love my Hive

With both me and Mrs SS being retired we don't have regular routines so we don't have heating on timer / schedule anymore - just boost to 20 degrees when it feels chilly, and you can select a 30 min to 5 hour duration for the boost.
So whatever time we wake up, from mobile phone whilst still in bed, put the heating on 20 mins before getting out of bed - whether that's 8am or 11am etc.
Also great if on a short away trip [couple of nights], can switch water off completely [esp if forgot to do it before leaving] and switch it back on when an hour from home on way back, same for heating.

One of my favourites is scheduling a plug to switch on a table lamp - I can make it come on at lighting-up time - i.e. around just after 4pm in December but then 10:30-ish in July - and always go off at, say 11:30pm - very clever ...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Nest.
I like these but they do have faults.
They talk both Opentherm (OT) 12v and 240v switching, but it's being dropped by Alphabet very soon, as it doesn't 'talk' the new language that future Google products do.

That is perhaps a little misleading. Google is developing 'Matter' along with Apple, Amazon and others in order that all smart home devices work seamlessly with one another - a great idea. However it only showed the newer, cheaper and less intelligent Nest Thermostat in its presentation and not the learning thermostat. This does not mean they won't add support in the future nor does it mean that it won't continue to work as a thermostat (I think), it just won't work straight from the box with an iphone for example.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
I want one of these Hive or Nest not bothered, just need something to replace my crappy vaillant thermostat that needs the batteries changing every few weeks or so
So does anyone on here fit these and work in and around Worthing? and if so how much ? ta

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
We've got Honeywell Evohome throughout the house. Independently controllable TRVs in each room, so we can set when the heating goes on and off in each individual room. That means we're only heating the rooms we're using (e.g. bedrooms off during the day while rooms we're actually in remain on). Can preset different schedules for each individual room. Works a treat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here