Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Loan bans for non homegrown under 21s from next season

SAC

May 21, 2014
If it stops clubs hoarding players then it can only be a good thing.

It seems to have been on the cards for years now so clubs can't say they haven't been warned.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Pretty easy way around it - buy back clause - "sell" them to a club with a low buy back clause

Isn't that exactly what Chelsea have done with Livramento (though "low" on that one is £25 mill IIRC)?

Not sure what happens with wages and ability to play against "parent" club, both of which are factors in loan agreements but wouldn't be covered by a sale.,

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Isn't that exactly what Chelsea have done with Livramento (though "low" on that one is £25 mill IIRC)?

Not sure what happens with wages and ability to play against "parent" club, both of which are factors in loan agreements but wouldn't be covered by a sale.,

I guess that could be fiddled at the end of the loan not loan, signing on bonus to make up wages lost etc

If you are Chelsea are you overly bother that Livramento plays agaisnt you?

Seems plenty of ways to get around it

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I agree it's the right thing. My reading of it says it doesn't apply to under 21's at all.

If this is the case then they seem like good changes. We do loan out plenty of U21's and the odd U23's but it should mean less hoarding of talent and more Lamptey type players being available rather than stuck at a club unable to break through

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews....helsea-man-city-liverpool-players-1413714/amp

I see this was officially announced today.

Screws us right ? Bloody annoying when we are doing so well with loaning out youngsters.

Apart from U21s, who are excluded from these limits?

"The cap does not apply to players aged 21 and under, or players who are “club trained” – so those who have been with either their current club or another in the same national association for at least three years between the ages of 15-21. These are usually referred to in the Premier League as “homegrown” players".

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Oops I just read the athletic news on this and apparently FIFA have clarified the change and the exemption only applies if under 21 AND home grown! So more of a problem for us than I thought!

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Oops I just read the athletic news on this and apparently FIFA have clarified the change and the exemption only applies if under 21 AND home grown! So more of a problem for us than I thought!

Yeah this is very concerning. I'm interested to see what their definition of home grown is, that's the key. We would be over 8 players this season if the requirement is to be English and formally part of the u18 for example. But if just part of the u18 at some point, not so bad. If it's part of u23 aswell or been at the club since they were 18 say, then no problem.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I guess that could be fiddled at the end of the loan not loan, signing on bonus to make up wages lost etc

If you are Chelsea are you overly bother that Livramento plays agaisnt you?

Seems plenty of ways to get around it

Oh, there are always ways round everything. You could, for example, claim that a cheese and wine party held when such gatherings were not allowed was a "work meeting" :wink:

I bet Chelsea wish Lamptey hadn't played against them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here