Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] County Mall Shopping Centre, Crawley - Opinions?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
This is one of those threads where being part of NSC is a cheeky little Gold Card you can rely on. I love it.

So....

I'm looking at a new business (a Franchise, in the Health and Beauty industry) which was going to based in Tunbridge Wells. I think they saw stars and prestige but I did say that the top end of Tunbridge Wells is now a ghost town, and I wasn't keen. They insist upon a high-footfall, central area with high visibility. A visit to Tunbridge Wells revealed there was indeed more life in a tramp's vest around the Royal Victoria Place, so it was canned for the moment.

Next in line was Crawley. A much larger population, and one I did suggest. Personally I'm not keen on the place, but it's a business decision at the end of the day. The perfect location would be the County Mall. Lots of parking, under cover, anchor stores and so on... (no, not stores which sell anchors before you start)

So my question is, before I go there myself and possibly see it at the wrong time or the wrong day... what's it like?

Is it full of hapless crackheads wandering around like extras on the 'Walking Dead' and a place to be avoided at all costs, is it somewhere the slack-jawed yoof go to eat fast food and keep warm and dry but spend no money, is it actually okay and a place where people actually go to shop and it has a decent reputation, or is it well past its prime and part of the decaying high street with little hope for the future?

All opinions welcome. Be as honest as you like.

If it all goes tits up I'll end up living in the bins out the back of the mall... Spare some change guv'nor, etc... :glare:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I go up north semi frequently, my take is, and this might just be a pandemic thing, there's considerably more foot traffic through the parade just outside.

I'd say the little parade of shops from County Mall down to Waterstones is THE place.
Then off to the left.
Beyond that it gets a little sketchy.

Dunno maybe that bit is a little narrower or its an optical thing but it always feels rammed.
Something the Mall never has done - on the few occasions we've bothered to go in.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I think a lot depends on the customer. Footfall is important if everyone will buy your product and you certainly have that at Crawley Mall. Crawley had a big Asian community with good income and they will spend money on quality products.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
20 yrs ago we used to go to CM all the time instead of Brighton...but last time we went up there (about 3 years ago, pre-pandemic) it was pretty deserted and quite a few empty places. Even outside where the other shops are it felt run down and tired.
We dont bother with either now...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
We took our daughter to the January Sales 2 years ago just before the Covid stuff hit and was quite shocked at how empty and 'dead' it felt. Was p1ssing it down so we didn't go outside.

They year before we went to Gunwharf in Pomoy and that was by far far the busiest.

Edit: Churchill Sq also felt fuller and busier

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I live here; the Mall has suffered due to Debenhams going under (like Churchill Sq has) and of course Covid has screwed everything, so the Mall is not currently what it was - is anywhere?

Its clean, its normally busy, it has security, its where people park to use Crawley shops (and so they walk thru CM to get to any of the town centre shops), and there are signs of improvement. I once looked at opening a franchise there myself when I was getting fed up working for faceless multinationals.

If it helps, HMV has just announced a big new shop just (30 yards) outside of CM, and a supermarket has also said theyre moving in (again just outside CM, about 60 yards?).

The shops outside the Mall and leading to the Mall seem to have good footfall and this is in part because thats the route to the Mall and to the secure, clean multi storey car park, and its busy Car Wash franchise.

"Under normal circumstances" CM is busy and a good place to shop. Unfortunately we're not yet in "normal circumstances", but there seems to be signs of optimism. There are a few empty units and so I'd guess there are deals to be made. There is also a reasonably big redevelopment project going on in and around Crawley Town Centre shops and buildings. The Marathon building is being refurbished, the Town Hall is being completely rebuilt, there are new apartment blocks going up within easy walk of the Mall, the quadrant in the shopping centre has been quite nicely improved. Theres inevitably an increasing number of coffee shops etc, so people tend to stay longer.

Any new biz is to some extent a gamble I guess, so come and have a look around CM yourself (to maybe state the obvious).

Please note that I am expressing personal opinions and I am not an expert in these matters - as may be obvious. UTA!

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
County Mall has had a bad few years. Lots of closed units, big name stores have gone by the wayside to be replaced by the usual mobile phone case and vape shops. The area immediately outside, as discussed above, is in better shape and seems to have more footfall.

In all honesty, have you thought about Horsham? Horsham town centre seems to have dealt with Covid and the high street shift from retail to leisure much better than Crawley, and still has decent footfall. Might be more attractive to the franchisors as its closer to the "glitz and glamour" of TW than Crawley is. Not sure what the unit rental prices are comparatively though.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
As others have said, with Debenhams gone, there is little reason for us now to travel to Crawley.

I would also recommend Horsham.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Whenever my wife and I need to visit 'town' for Christmas/holiday clothes etc.. we always travel to Crawley over Brighton, its much easier to get to, parking is reasonable and convenient and the mall is pretty clean etc.. We went there at the beginning of December.

As others have said it has suffered a bit in recent times, I suspect the massive reduction of flights out of Gatwick having a big impact on a lot of jobs in the town, but if things get back to normal there then who knows.

A good range of shops and decent food hall make it attractive. Still my preferred shopping centre.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Worked in Crawley for 10+ years - admittedly 10 years ago. CM was the place that everyone from Manor Royal popped out to in their lunch break to do some shopping. Partly because it was close and partly because there was loads of parking ( which might be a sign it's not that busy ! ). Never seemed that full when I went there but I guess you could pick up the trade from people working on the industrial estate. I doubt you'll get a lot from the locals. Seemed a soulless place compared to say Churchill Square.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We go there quite a bit….wouldn’t say it’s in the ‘slack jawed’ or ‘walking dead’ category at all really. Definitely quieter than it was but same everywhere atm - it remains clean and seems well-run compared to many similar malls (including Swan Walk in Horsham IMO). Think there are a few barbers and eyebrow places in there already along with the usual shops plus of course the few empty units (Debenhams was a big loss to the centre). As others have said the precinct immediately outside the centre always seems busy too.

We quite like it - mostly covered, cheap and easy parking, still a reasonable range of shops (mall and outside taken together) in a fairly tight area, plenty of cheap and simple food/coffee options…….it’s equi-distant for us to Brighton but we’re far more likely to go to Crawley.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
A couple of families I know local to me in Hove prefer driving to Crawley to go shipping than going into Brighton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A couple of families I know local to me in Hove prefer driving to Crawley to go shipping than going into Brighton.

Further away from open water?

Daft buggers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What Crawley really needs is either a Subway or Fried Chicken emporium.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’ve been to Crawley and it felt very chavy to me . Looking at the house prices , I don’t think it’s a place where people have a high level of disposable income . Not after they’ve bought their sports wear & has all their tats done !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve been to Crawley and it felt very chavy to me . Looking at the house prices , I don’t think it’s a place where people have a high level of disposable income . Not after they’ve bought their sports wear & has all their tats done !

...plus eyebrows, and fake tan....so a town where 'enhancements' are so popular maybe not such a bad place for something in the health and beauty line ??

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Thank you SO much for all your replies. I really appreciate them.

Very insightful and exactly what I was looking for, good and bad. I genuinely mean that.

Keep them coming! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here