Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Cycling rule changes.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Been a bit in the news about i believe Saturday,s rule changes in road cycling and rule 5 appears to suggest cyclists have priority on either side of a vehicle that you could be driving and you are planning to turn L so a bike on your right can turn L the same time as you. Does it mean that a bike on your L can go either straight across our turn R whilst you want to make a simple L turn ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I didn't think cyclists had any road rules

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It’s just saying you should check your mirror before turning left. Because cycle lanes tend to be to the left side of a road. Basically priority goes to a bike if it’s on the left of you and moving forwards, because otherwise you will run them over. Seems pretty simple.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1485958901778550790[/tweet]

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'd like to see a more general campaign. Something like 'Don't be an ********!'

Motorists, cyclists, pedestrians too - people generally need to be reminded that getting back to normal doesn't mean doing your level best to beat whoever you can to the next traffic light or turning. Maybe remember a little of that good will we all so sincerely displayed by whacking saucepans for NHS workers and apply it to every day life. I'm certainly not seeing much of it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The rules are simple, sensible and easy to follow. They will make everyone safer, and the clickbait headlines of the more cerebrally challenged sections of the media should be treated with the contempt that they deserve.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-about-what-uk-highway-code-changes-will-mean

do think a lot of fuss was being made out of this, particularly with exaggerated claims of changes. one myth missed though, that this will make roads safer. cant see how any of the changes, as noted clarifications or common practice, will deter bad drivers from being bad.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How much room do cyclists give other cyclists when overtaking?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
do think a lot of fuss was being made out of this, particularly with exaggerated claims of changes. one myth missed though, that this will make roads safer. cant see how any of the changes, as noted clarifications or common practice, will deter bad drivers from being bad.

I think that when drivers are made aware of the way that they should drive when cyclists are about, it will register, and they will respond, whether consciously or subliminally. Perhaps they will notice that they have been getting angry over behaviour that is part of the Highway Code.

Obviously, not all of them.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Been a bit in the news about i believe Saturday,s rule changes in road cycling and rule 5 appears to suggest cyclists have priority on either side of a vehicle that you could be driving and you are planning to turn L so a bike on your right can turn L the same time as you. Does it mean that a bike on your L can go either straight across our turn R whilst you want to make a simple L turn ?

Don't think so. A bike on your left can turn left if you are turning or going straight on. If you're turning left then he can go left as well.
Even with these rule changes cyclists need to be aware of their own vulnerability and be aware that, with the intention to go straight on, going up the inside of a car/bus/lorry could get them knocked off; there's little to be gained from laying in the road with a broken leg and a broken bike but being "in the right".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't think so. A bike on your left can turn left if you are turning or going straight on. If you're turning left then he can go left as well.
Even with these rule changes cyclists need to be aware of their own vulnerability and be aware that, with the intention to go straight on, going up the inside of a car/bus/lorry could get them knocked off; there's little to be gained from laying in the road with a broken leg and a broken bike but being "in the right".

Odd to imply cyclists aren't aware of their own vulnerability.

I'll hazard a guess over 90% of rage incidents from 'lycra louts' stem from the fact all cyclists are acutely aware of the vulnerability, while those of us safely cocooned in our 1 tonne steel boxes don't have the faintest idea.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
“I’m not anti cyclist but” ........ as a professional driver I think the Highway Code has missed a trick here as they should put more emphasis on the legal requirement to be well lit after dark. If drivers are to give way left right and centre I’d like to see a high viz rule implemented and policed as well.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I think as driver, cyclist and pedestrian the new rules get it about right. The tricky ones are the giving way to pedestrians when turning left and the priority for cyclists going straight on when car is turning left. Hopefully we will all learn to be more aware of those around us.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Odd to imply cyclists aren't aware of their own vulnerability.

I'll hazard a guess over 90% of rage incidents from 'lycra louts' stem from the fact all cyclists are acutely aware of the vulnerability, while those of us safely cocooned in our 1 tonne steel boxes don't have the faintest idea.

Why odd ?
Only yesterday I was waiting at traffic lights indicating left, as they turned green a cyclist came barreling up the inside and went straight on; a seconds difference and he'd have ridden straight into the side of me.
I regularly see cyclists riding at night without lights/hi-vis/helmet too

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Why odd ?
Only yesterday I was waiting at traffic lights indicating left, as they turned green a cyclist came barreling up the inside and went straight on; a seconds difference and he'd have ridden straight into the side of me.
I regularly see cyclists riding at night without lights/hi-vis/helmet too

Under the new rules he has right of way so you need to check out for that kind of thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here