Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Mike O'Farrell comments.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sk...-confirm-an-endemic-racism-problem-in-cricket

Just been on SSN, apologising for his comments.
It's already out there, if not intended ???

Azeem Rafiq says Middlesex chair Mike O'Farrell's comments confirm an 'endemic' racism problem in cricket
Four cricket county chairs gave evidence to the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee on Tuesday; the DCMS committee are investigating the sport's governance following Azeem Rafiq's allegations of racial harassment and bullying at Yorkshire

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It seems the following has caused this issue.

The football and rugby world becomes much more attractive to the Afro-Caribbean community," O'Farrell said.

And in terms of the South Asian community, there is a moment where we're finding that they do not want necessarily to commit the same time that is necessary to go the next step because they prefer, not always saying they do it, they sometimes prefer to go into other educational fields and then cricket becomes secondary, and part of that is because it's a rather more time-consuming sport than some other

He was asked a question about the issue in cricket at the moment and answered honestly, the answer may not be great and it’s something to fix, but I’m not sure it’s racist to point it out?

Is he meant to lie about the problem? Who does that help?

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm struggling to see what he said wrong, maybe I'm misunderstanding the meaning (as my wife will often attest!)

So sometimes people from the South Asian community prefer academia over Cricket? so?

Apologies if I've misunderstood and the subtext is racist but I couldn't see it personally. his choice of words might have been poor but i understand what he is trying to say, I think!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm struggling to see what he said wrong, maybe I'm misunderstanding the meaning (as my wife will often attest!)

So sometimes people from the South Asian community prefer academia over Cricket? so?

Apologies if I've misunderstood and the subtext is racist but I couldn't see it personally. his choice of words might have been poor but i understand what he is trying to say, I think!

All Irish are stupid, all Scots are stingy, all Welsh are sheepshaggers etc. etc.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's just stereotyping and was a huge mistake.

And embarrassing. Not to mention displaying huge amounts of unconscious bias. Just in case anyone is uncomfortable going for the full racist accusation.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
why cant we accept this might be true. O'Farrell was being very careful with his wording, he says "we are finding", sounds like based on experience. it takes a lot of commitment to step up from gifted to potential pro, from the person and their parents. the long hours training and getting to matches, trials etc. if they have other priorities that commitment wont be made.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
And this is one of the reasons we have problems with racism

Nothing can be discussed as some people get uncomfortable and it’s easier to just be outraged and shout “racist”

Viscous circle all the time

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And this is one of the reasons we have problems with racism

Nothing can be discussed as some people get uncomfortable and it’s easier to just be outraged and shout “racist”

Viscous circle all the time

The reason we have "problems" with racism is that too many people don't think things through properly and prefer a cheap soundbite.

Sorry, wait, that's casual racism.

The reason we have "problems" with race is that the white person has spent centuries selling the black person as a commodity, keeping them in a separate township or shooting them for no real reason.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Exactly - but if you can pick up on a perceived generalisation, reclassify it as stereoyping (ergo, prejudice), jump to labelling it as a trope and use it to bully an old man on TV who's been trying to increase BAME paticipation in his cricket club - well, I guess that makes the world a better place, eh?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
why cant we accept this might be true.

Because it is purely anecdotal, stereotypes a race and smacks of unconscious bias.

No offence was meant, but it's statements can be hugely offensive to people if you've spent your whole life being stereotyped.

He has rightly apologised.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Exactly - but if you can pick up on a perceived generalisation, reclassify it as stereoyping (ergo, prejudice), jump to labelling it as a trope and use it to bully an old man on TV who's been trying to increase BAME paticipation in his cricket club - well, I guess that makes the world a better place, eh?

"The football and rugby world becomes much more attractive to the Afro-Caribbean community," O'Farrell said.

And in terms of the South Asian community, there is a moment where we're finding that they do not want necessarily to commit the same time that is necessary to go the next step because they prefer, not always saying they do it, they sometimes prefer to go into other educational fields and then cricket becomes secondary, and part of that is because it's a rather more time-consuming sport than some other"

These are not perceived generalisations. They are explicitly stated generalisations.

The football and rugby world becomes much more attractive to many non-afro-caribbeans, but not to ALL afro-caribbeans.
Many non-South Asians also do not want necessarily to commit the same time that is necessary. but not ALL South Asians feel that way.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Shame for him that he’s talking to the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee of Parliament. If he’d spoken those words to Boris he’d have had someone in agreement.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"The football and rugby world becomes much more attractive to the Afro-Caribbean community," O'Farrell said.

And in terms of the South Asian community, there is a moment where we're finding that they do not want necessarily to commit the same time that is necessary to go the next step because they prefer, not always saying they do it, they sometimes prefer to go into other educational fields and then cricket becomes secondary, and part of that is because it's a rather more time-consuming sport than some other"

These are not perceived generalisations. They are explicitly stated generalisations.

The football and rugby world becomes much more attractive to many non-afro-caribbeans, but not to ALL afro-caribbeans.
Many non-South Asians also do not want necessarily to commit the same time that is necessary. but not ALL South Asians feel that way.

Yes, I saw that, and I saw the Sky anchorman bullying th interviewee as hard as he could, while not acknowledging anything he didn't want to hear or didn't suit his agenda.

The generalisations, by the way, were perceived by the Middlesex cricket man, based on what he saw and experienced in his efforts to get more British Asians, or the Asian community (whichever terminology doesn't offend you on their behalf) involved in cricket. And no mention of 'ALL' - that's your addition. But no matter, if it doesn't suit the agenda, eh? Whatever, I can recognise bullying when I see it and the only bullying on TV this evening has been the bullying carried out by the Sky Sports News anchorman.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because it is purely anecdotal, stereotypes a race and smacks of unconscious bias.

No offence was meant, but it's statements can be hugely offensive to people if you've spent your whole life being stereotyped.

He has rightly apologised.

yep, lambasted, forced apology, debate closed. running a club he might be getting a view from those involved, dismissed out of hand. as he says in interview, 30 sec clip from hour and half session.
wasnt long ago there was a fuss about lack of new players coming through in West Indies, largely because kids prefer to play football. chap says the black kids arent taking up cricket, he's wrong to say so. my view is about the reaction the comment, no discussion or analysis to establish if its merited or a sterotype, its assumed to be bias and dismissed.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yes, I saw that, and I saw the Sky anchorman bullying th interviewee as hard as he could, while not acknowledging anything he didn't want to hear or didn't suit his agenda.

The generalisations, by the way, were perceived by the Middlesex cricket man, based on what he saw and experienced in his efforts to get more British Asians, or the Asian community (whichever terminology doesn't offend you on their behalf) involved in cricket. And no mention of 'ALL' - that's your addition. But no matter, if it doesn't suit the agenda, eh? Whatever, I can recognise bullying when I see it and the only bullying on TV this evening has been the bullying carried out by the Sky Sports News anchorman.

Yes, I added ALL to highlight his generalisations. I recognise he didn't say all or some or a few or one or two. He generalised and stereotyped the communities.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Ignoring any racist element what he's saying is that to be an elite sportsperson you can't have any significant interests outside sport.
While the "total dedication" model is parroted by many what research there is suggests that the best of the best are more likely to have a range of significant diverse interests they invest time in.
So whatever else he may or may not be he's wrong and he's a cock.

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021
why cant we accept this might be true. .

I think the popularity of people playing the sport across Asia probably suggest it’s not. And as for the the black suggestion living in South East London there is pretty much no attempt to create facilities for young black men to play cricket and the few clubs that do exist are vastly over subscribed to middle class white kids. If cricket wants to address why young black men go elsewhere it should address its grass roots issues which are also grounded in at best classism and worst racism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here