Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Added Time

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There seems to be little logic to this and I just wondered whether, or not, it's time to have a better process. For example whenever play stops the time stops, i.e. a sub wants to take two minutes walking off the pitch then crack on Son, the watch is stopped. When a goalie wants to take the ball on a sponsored walk prior to a goal kick then crack on. It's a bit like Rugby, I accept, but it would remove the random number popping up and remove any incentive to jog up and down the six yard box wondering where to take the kick from.

Calling @DrNo

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There seems to be little logic to this and I just wondered whether, or not, it's time to have a better process. For example whenever play stops the time stops, i.e. a sub wants to take two minutes walking off the pitch then crack on Son, the watch is stopped. When a goalie wants to take the ball on a sponsored walk prior to a goal kick then crack on. It's a bit like Rugby, I accept, but it would remove the random number popping up and remove any incentive to jog up and down the six yard box wondering where to take the kick from.

Calling @DrNo

Edit to add: I am not the first person to suggest this, obviously.

I hope we'll get there one day, but I'd like it to end up like Rugby where there is an independently managed clock which stops whenever play does, so there is no 'stoppage' time.

I'm sure analysis has been performed as to the actual playing time on average, and they can set the playing time to a realistic value, say 70 minutes of ACTUAL football.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I like the idea. It obliterates time wasting at a stroke. The argument against is that games would take all night, which they would at the moment. But there would be no need for substitutions to take hours etc, because the timewasting isn't achieving anything.

We'd need to have a conversation about whether time was stopped for throws and corners etc. And if we need to go to 80 minute matches we should.

I also think the timekeeping of a match should be something that is there for all to see.

The crowd should be able to countdown the last few seconds, like they do in pretty much every other sport

It also removes the impression that we all get at times that a referees is favouring a particular team by allowing a corner for example

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolutely. Been advocating this for yonks. Something for the 4th. official to do! Big clocks at the ground so that fans and players can see it - and the moment the ball crosses the touchline or goal-line, or the ref. blows for a foul or an injury, the clock stops: and it doesn't start until the free kick/goal kick/corner/throw in or drop ball is actually taken. 30 minutes (or maybe 35) actual playing time each way (which would probably equate to the duration of a match now). Obviously no added/injury time, as it will already have been taken into account while the clock was stopped.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Im sure I read somewhere that a study was done on actual time the ball was in play over several matches. I think it averaged out at actually something like SIXTY minutes play when every stoppage was taken into account

It was a while ago so I cant remember the exact figures but it was surprisingly low

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
I’ve been a big fan of this idea for ages. Time wasting is one of the least enjoyable aspects of the game for me (and there was a lot of discussion on the weekend about it after the Arsenal Burnley game) As this season we’ve generally been behind in matches with a few minutes to go it’s been even more infuriating! They’ve done studies which reveal that the ball is in play for slightly less than 60 minutes on average in the Premier League. Just make the game last for an hour with a big clock in the stadium counting down the time for the fans and players to see.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't really have much else to add apart from the fact that I managed to get the added number of minutes correct about nine times out of 10. The Bobkin Jnrs think it's witchcraft, or I've somehow cheated, but it's pretty straightforward to add up all the stoppages.

Having said that, some of the time-wasting is ridiculous. Keepers should be booked the first time they time waste, not half-way through the second half, when they've already faffed around seven of eight times previously.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I doubt any form of timekeeping will stop the "time-wasting" as it is called. Managers and players will always find a way round that.

I would just like it to be referred properly as to what it is.......which is cheating.

Slow ambling off the pitch with late substitutions , goalkeepers taking forever to resume the game, feigning injuries etc etc etc.

It's cheating the opposition of proper playing time. It cheats the public who paid good money to see actual football.

Much stronger penalties for deliberate cheating ( laughingly called 'time-wasting') is the way forward.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I doubt any form of timekeeping will stop the "time-wasting" as it is called. Managers and players will always find a way round that.

I would just like it to be referred properly as to what it is.......which is cheating.

Slow ambling off the pitch with late substitutions , goalkeepers taking forever to resume the game, feigning injuries etc etc etc.

It's cheating the opposition of proper playing time. It cheats the public who paid good money to see actual football.

Much stronger penalties for deliberate cheating ( laughingly called 'time-wasting') is the way forward.

How would they find a way round it? If you stop the clock whenever the ball is out of play, there is literally no incentive to waste time/cheat any more.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
How would they find a way round it? If you stop the clock whenever the ball is out of play, there is literally no incentive to waste time/cheat any more.

The time "wasted" and then added on is not the problem. The problem is players deliberately stopping the game for as long as possible to interrupt the momentum of the opposing team. The longer the delays, the more difficult it is for the opposing side to reach the previous momentum.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Copy rugby union, the clock is frozen straight away with every stop in play. The match isn’t over until, in rugby’s case the full 80 minutes have been played.

NOT when the football ref and his off pitch colleague randomly decide.

Also ends the chaos of time added on in stoppage time. Where some refs appear to add on a full minute per substitution or goal celebration, regardless of whether it took 20 seconds or were deliberately dragged out for eons.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Time wasting is out of control and something needs to be done about it.

My biggest peeve of the modern game and there are plenty.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Yes, but a time keeper stops the clock the moment the ball isn't "in play", therefore you can roll around, amble off, take three or four minutes taking a goal kick, it doesn't matter, I'm proposing the clock is ONLY ticking when the ball is live.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
If a team is wasting time, then reverse the decision. Eg. if a keeper takes too long to take a goal kick, then it becomes a corner. A throw in one way would become a corner the other way. I would keep the law deliberately vague, eg. as soon as the team is not acting expeditiously then they will be penalised. So even currently unpunishable time wasting like getting a corner and no-one goes over to take it could be punished. Maybe have a "team warning" where the ref tells them that he has seen what they're doing and it's going to be interpreted strictly from now on. (This could be signalled by the ref facing the goal the tome-wasting team is defending, and making a big circle with his arm to indicate a clock. That's a signalled used in rugby league for a team warning for too many fouls.)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If a team is wasting time, then reverse the decision. Eg. if a keeper takes too long to take a goal kick, then it becomes a corner. A throw in one way would become a corner the other way. I would keep the law deliberately vague, eg. as soon as the team is not acting expeditiously then they will be penalised. So even currently unpunishable time wasting like getting a corner and no-one goes over to take it could be punished. Maybe have a "team warning" where the ref tells them that he has seen what they're doing and it's going to be interpreted strictly from now on. (This could be signalled by the ref facing the goal the tome-wasting team is defending, and making a big circle with his arm to indicate a clock. That's a signalled used in rugby league for a team warning for too many fouls.)

Ironic that Burnley are probably the time wasting champions.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its not a bad idea and I think something needs to be done because most numbers pont at actual game time decreasing.

The 54 minutes average right now should be at least 60. Not sure what the best way to deal with it is but more/quicker yellow cards for time wasting and on average a few more injury time minutes would be a start.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
The time "wasted" and then added on is not the problem. The problem is players deliberately stopping the game for as long as possible to interrupt the momentum of the opposing team. The longer the delays, the more difficult it is for the opposing side to reach the previous momentum.

So you stop the clock, and then penalize anyone who continues to waste time/slow momentum. It doesn't have to be either/or.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here