Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] BrewDog

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For balance, this nugget should be at the beginning of the article instead of at the end.

“The BBC Disclosure programme makes no allegations of criminal behaviour with women by Mr Watt.”

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Soon to be a new Brewdog beer out then soon, Defence Attorney Fundraiser

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Most of it is clickbait nonsense. There was quite a lot more in it when it was pulled last minute because it was proven to be false.

The concerning bit is the behaviour around female staff and shame on the rest of the staff / management for hiding if / enabling it if true

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Most of it is clickbait nonsense. There was quite a lot more in it when it was pulled last minute because it was proven to be false.

The concerning bit is the behaviour around female staff and shame on the rest of the staff / management for hiding if / enabling it if true

It’s poor, poor leadership.

He is obviously a bit creepy and sleazy around women, the elixir of power has clearly given him a lot of confidence.

However, it’s another example of Brewdog being held to the highest standards when many other businesses will be stuffed full of powerful, white, old heterosexual men who ‘stare’ at the young women in their organisation whenever they get the chance or overly flirt with them if they get the opportunity. I don’t think that he has done anything remotely close to a criminal offence but the article kind of builds and you expect it to come up with a sexual harassment/assault incident but it doesn’t.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

I'd be surprised if the board don't ask the CEO to step aside. We'll have another easyJet scenario with the founder and shareholder sniping from the wings.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Watched it last night and it was an hour long program that revealed nothing other than the bloke is a dick. Anyone who has had any dealing with the man either directly or indirectly already knew that surely?!?

To summarise the program....

They've done some daft marketing stunts all of which are well documented.
He has written a book revealing some of his business techniques. Some of which were less than ethical.
He's become very wealthy so now has investments in offshore hedge funds and rather hypocritically Heineken.
They lied about the ingredients of a couple of beers to import it into the US for their launch out there to avoid some red tape.
Former employees made complaints about a toxic work culture, again also well documented.
The final big exposee the young multi millionaire likes chasing women who were invariably young and attractive.

I can't stand either of them to be honest. They both strike me as a couple of toss-pots who have got far too big for their boots following a decent success. They do make some good beer though. Dunno who JW has upset at the BBC for the program to be commissioned but they certainly went after him.....but with nothing and very little evidence to back it up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I can't stand either of them to be honest. They both strike me as a couple of toss-pots who have got far too big for their boots following a decent success. They do make some good beer though. Dunno who JW has upset at the BBC for the program to be commissioned but they certainly went after him.....but with nothing and very little evidence to back it up.

Genuine question - why do you think that of Martin ? He has been very behind the scenes, is rarely 'seen' out and about and seems to still be really interested in brewing, regularly around the world sourcing hops etc. In fact I'd say it is a shame he hasn't been more visible with some of these issues.

I still think the problem is a lot of this is historical back up to 7 years so may not be a fair reflection of the company now. I have a couple of friends who work there in various roles and they seem happy, well supported and enjoy the role but then I don't dis-believe it is possible for JW behavior as a relatively young, single man.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Most of it is clickbait nonsense.

The BBC doesn't carry advertising on TV or online, so doesn't usually do things for 'clicks'.

If you position your company as sticking it to The Man, and then turn out to be a [retracted] you're going to attract some media interest.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The BBC doesn't carry advertising on TV or online, so doesn't usually do things for 'clicks'.

It's still a metric though right? Otherwise how do they measure themselves as a news organisation compared to others?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Watched it last night and it was an hour long program that revealed nothing other than the bloke is a dick. Anyone who has had any dealing with the man either directly or indirectly already knew that surely?!?

To summarise the program....

They've done some daft marketing stunts all of which are well documented.
He has written a book revealing some of his business techniques. Some of which were less than ethical.
He's become very wealthy so now has investments in offshore hedge funds and rather hypocritically Heineken.
They lied about the ingredients of a couple of beers to import it into the US for their launch out there to avoid some red tape.
Former employees made complaints about a toxic work culture, again also well documented.
The final big exposee the young multi millionaire likes chasing women who were invariably young and attractive.

My thoughts exactly ... were you looking over my shoulder when you write that? :lol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's still a metric though right? Otherwise how do they measure themselves as a news organisation compared to others?

We have some BBC employees on here who could answer, but I imagine that their key measure would be reach (unique users).

The BBC website is not compared to others in industry figures due to lack of (UK) commerical activity.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Genuine question - why do you think that of Martin ? He has been very behind the scenes, is rarely 'seen' out and about and seems to still be really interested in brewing, regularly around the world sourcing hops etc. In fact I'd say it is a shame he hasn't been more visible with some of these issues.

I still think the problem is a lot of this is historical back up to 7 years so may not be a fair reflection of the company now. I have a couple of friends who work there in various roles and they seem happy, well supported and enjoy the role but then I don't dis-believe it is possible for JW behavior as a relatively young, single man.

To be honest its an opinion that has lasted from the early days. I don't really pay any attention to either of them as I'm not interested in what either of them have to say. They've become exactly what they were supposedly anti......very "punk" indeed.......as long as that punk is John Lydon selling butter. I've got no problem with that as I'm sure if we are honest most of us would have handled the success the same way.

Said for years they should just stick to making beers because they are good at it! I guess that doesn't support his mantra of everything is marketing though. I see he's claiming he is going the sue the BBC now and we're talking about him here so maybe he is correct?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Oh dear.

This may well end up in the defund the BBC thread:

https://presshub.brewdog.com/files/164630433120220302BrewDogBBCComplaint.pdf

In essence, many of the BBC’s claims have been disproven. It seems that their sources were almost all ex-employees (some sacked for theft and poor performance) with an axe to grind. I genuinely feel sorry for Brewdog having read this and feel stupid about my previous comments. Hopefully some heads role at the BBC; the ‘story’ in this case was more important than the truth or the need to give correct context to the viewer. And we complain about the Russian media?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Oh dear.

This may well end up in the defund the BBC thread:

https://presshub.brewdog.com/files/164630433120220302BrewDogBBCComplaint.pdf

In essence, many of the BBC’s claims have been disproven. It seems that their sources were almost all ex-employees (some sacked for theft and poor performance) with an axe to grind. I genuinely feel sorry for Brewdog having read this and feel stupid about my previous comments. Hopefully some heads role at the BBC; the ‘story’ in this case was more important than the truth or the need to give correct context to the viewer. And we complain about the Russian media?

Have they been disproven? That's a press release from Brewdog,I think I'd wait for it to be investigated before making any decisions.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Have they been disproven? That's a press release from Brewdog,I think I'd wait for it to be investigated before making any decisions.

Agreed but either way sounds like it's going to end up in court.

Does beg the question why Brewdog didn't take part in the doc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here