Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Big One - Cameroon Vs Comoros - 7pm kick off (BBC Red Button)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
A huge clash tonight in the AFCON Round of 16, which promises to be a special occasion for all involved, and of course the salivating neutral on their settee/armchair.

Quite remarkably, Comoros are without a recognised goalkeeper due to COVID isolation rules, so will start with regular left back, Chaker Alhadhur, between the hallowed goalposts at the famous Olembe Stadium, Cameroon. With a potential capacity crowd of 60,000 roaring on the home side, the Indomitable Lions will certainly fancy their chances against the weakened Coelacantes.

Interestingly, Chaker Alhadhur isn't a player I have seen much of, despite the 5'9" 30 year old stand-in plying his trade with Ajaccio in France, who as we know are having a phenomenal season, riding high in Ligue 2. Only an outstanding season so far from Toulouse has kept L'ours from the coveted top spot. But we mustn't forget their two games in hand!!! How will they fare without Alhadhur in his famed wing back role, should Comoros progress against all the odds? All these questions - and more - will be answered tonight.

I personally cannot wait 👍👍👍

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Need 3+ goals for Cameroon to go even. 4+ goals would be a nice profit. 5+ goals even nicer. And so on up to 7+ goals.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I see that Gaetan Bong is NOT in the Cameroon squad.

For that reason, I am supporting Comoros.

And for every other reason, really.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Can I be the first to acknowledge the impeccably observed national anthems. I don't think I've ever heard Udzima wa ya Masiwa sound more poignant or powerful. Well done to the sporting host fans, a credit to African football.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Decent attempt at spelling coelacanth, probably the most obscure team nickname in the world of football :lolol:

Ah, I was using the French spelling, with Comoros as we all know having French as an official language. This was owing of course to the French colonisation of Comoros. Whilst they did claim their independence in 1975, I believe, a lot of French influence remains.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think it's a red, it was a pretty poor tackle. I think the telling thing was just how far away he was from the ball. With that tackle, he knew he was fouling the man, with no possibility of taking the ball, so it's a yellow.
But then, the question becomes was it dangerous or reckless, likely to cause injury - in my opinion it was, studs down on the ankle.

It's a shame for the match, with Comoros being such huge underdogs anyway and their goalkeeper situation. That said, it was a good save from Onana to keep them ahead.

If Cameroon get the next goal, that'll be that and I can see tempers flaring. All the time it's 1-0 though they have a chance of a counter or set piece...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
As good as the Comoros goal was you can't help being disappointed that a game with an outfield player in goal for 90 mins (and a short arse at that) has only finished 2-1. This isn't the carnage I was expecting when the it was announced teams would have to play even if they didn't have any recognised goalkeepers available.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Reports that at least 6 have been killed following a stampede outside the stadium this evening

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Six people are reported to have been killed and dozens hurt in a crush outside a stadium hosting an Africa Cup of Nations match in Cameroon.

Video footage showed football fans struggling to get access to the Paul Biya stadium in a neighbourhood of the capital Yaounde.

Naseri Paul Biya, governor of Cameroon's central region, said there may be more casualties, AP News said.

Another report said a number of children had lost consciousness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-60120367

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here