Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three weeks until next Premier League match

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Man Utd may well be Feb 15th, ie in the midweek immediately following Watford, which is that next league game.

If so then that would be 3 home league games in a row - M United , Burnley & Villa. Not ideal but the 9 points would be welcome :whistle:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Yep.

Thought with all the games to be caught up on, they may have used next weekend. But that would be too sensible, so obviously not then.
Would it though? Such short notice that fans would have to change plans, as would the police and the club. The game would be staffed poorly, security would be shite and probably attendance would be very low.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If so then that would be 3 home league games in a row - M United , Burnley & Villa. Not ideal but the 9 points would be welcome :whistle:

The man u game was the one postponed on 18 Dec and is an away fixture. The home game is 7th May and is our penultimate game at the Amex this season.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Premier League players play 39 league fixtures a season plus cup competitions that the club does not have to fulfill if it so chooses. Lower league players play 46 league games plus cup games . We know from experience that the intensity and passion is just as great as in the Prem.
You may be old enough to remember going to the Goldstone to watch the Albion on Good Friday, again on Easter Saturday and the club played away Easter Monday.. That would not happen today. The pitches this time of year were treacle with the goal area covered in sawdust.. The idea of a winter break was never thought about.
Today.. they don’t know they are born!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Premier League players play 39 league fixtures a season plus cup competitions that the club does not have to fulfill if it so chooses. Lower league players play 46 league games plus cup games . We know from experience that the intensity and passion is just as great as in the Prem.
You may be old enough to remember going to the Goldstone to watch the Albion on Good Friday, again on Easter Saturday and the club played away Easter Monday.. That would not happen today. The pitches this time of year were treacle with the goal area covered in sawdust.. The idea of a winter break was never thought about.

Who do they play 3 times?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
OK, I’ll bite……
39 you say……..

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Premier League have been reluctant to put games in as they wanted it to be the winter break. It's normally split over two weekends so you do get 5 games each weekend but it doesn't seem as though they've been able to schedule that this season. I think its due to the fact that some World Cup qualification games have been delayed because of Covid so they've had to squeeze an extra international break into the season. They should have banned playing friendlies abroad like they did previously though, warm weather training camps are fine but **** Newcastle's good will trip to their paymasters.

I'm quite glad they've not tried to reschedule any games, we'd have be without Bissouma, Mac Allister, Alzate and Cacideo if we'd had the Man Utd or Spurs played in the next fortnight. Tough luck on Burnley and others if they have fixture congestion later in the season, maybe they should have played a few games with the kids on the bench rather than crying off.[/QUOTE]

Very much this. I’m not prepared to listen to Dyche whining about fixture congestion later in the season.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The Premier League have been reluctant to put games in as they wanted it to be the winter break. It's normally split over two weekends so you do get 5 games each weekend but it doesn't seem as though they've been able to schedule that this season. I think its due to the fact that some World Cup qualification games have been delayed because of Covid so they've had to squeeze an extra international break into the season. They should have banned playing friendlies abroad like they did previously though, warm weather training camps are fine but **** Newcastle's good will trip to their paymasters.

I'm quite glad they've not tried to reschedule any games, we'd have be without Bissouma, Mac Allister, Alzate and Cacideo if we'd had the Man Utd or Spurs played in the next fortnight. Tough luck on Burnley and others if they have fixture congestion later in the season, maybe they should have played a few games with the kids on the bench rather than crying off.[/QUOTE]

Very much this. I’m not prepared to listen to Dyche whining about fixture congestion later in the season.

I think Burnley suffered quite badly from other teams bailing? I'm no fan of anything about that club, but they may not currently be hoisted by their own petard.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think Burnley suffered quite badly from other teams bailing? I'm no fan of anything about that club, but they may not currently be hoisted by their own petard.

Didn’t he deliberately avoid putting youngsters on the bench to keep open their options open for postponement on the grounds of insufficient first teamers available ? I may be wrong

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Didn’t he deliberately avoid putting youngsters on the bench to keep open their options open for postponement on the grounds of insufficient first teamers available ? I may be wrong

Both Burnley and Newcastle declined to name youngsters in their cup squads to keep them off the qualifying lists for the 'players available' calculations. So, yes, they did.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I think Burnley only requested one postponement- the others they were just victims of other clubs requesting postponements.

Agree 100% with previous posts- all games should have been played as all Prem clubs have huge player rosters - with large numbers of players out on loan, youth teams etc. every game could and should have been played. Some postponements appears to be more convenient / tactical than anything (E.g. Arsenal getting a game postponed with only one covid case - farce).

I haven’t heard what the plan is for cramming additional fixtures in - I guess for Burnley they can just do a mid-week and weekend game every week for a period to catch up, clubs in Europe / cups maybe will be trickier for them.

Possibly the season could be extended? Appreciate there is already some challenges on that score- I think next season may start early to facilitate the season halting for a month in Nov/Dec for the winter World Cup?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Yeah next season the Prem starts 6 August

f96547c101301f3fb3b0c2663e9eb838.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yep.

Thought with all the games to be caught up on, they may have used next weekend. But that would be too sensible, so obviously not then.

I thought the biggest complaint from fans was the PL messing fans around with fixture changes. :lolol:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Burnley had a few games called off by other teams, but then they called off the re-arranged Watford game. I know we asked to have the Wolves game called off, but since the PL said no we appear to have just gotten on with it, named youngsters on the bench etc. Any club that has continued to go down the covid postponement route instead of giving youngsters a chance really cannot moan about fixture congestion later in the season.

The PL should also need to put clearly defined rules in place, that are non-negotiable, and stick to them. Otherwise we end up with the ridiculous situation where Arsenal can get the North London derby postponed but still put out a team either side of that fixture for the League Cup Semi Final.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here