Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] For those who have a mechanical watch O/T

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How accurate is yours? How many seconds a day does it gain or lose?

Just had mine serviced and regulated and it has gone from losing a minute a day to losing a second a day and I am VERY chuffed :smile:

Very off topic I know but I love mechanical watches :shrug:

Wotcha got?

Expecting “who needs a watch when you have a phone” humour :rolleyes:

Tudor Heritage Ranger here.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My 1920s ladies pocket watch loses about a minute or so a month, so pretty much the same as you. Did you know that the little pocket in jeans was specifically for your pocket watch - and that's where I keep mine. I broke the glass last year, using my body to heave something into a skip - yet managed to source a new glass online from someone who had come across an ancient tray of unused pocket watch glasses.

Love it.

Along with my fountain pens.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have a 1965 Omega Chronostop which I wear pretty much every day, it gains 2-3 minutes a day I reckon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have a 1965 Omega Chronostop which I wear pretty much every day, it gains 2-3 minutes a day I reckon.

Get it regulated!

Oh, and nice rare watch :thumbsup:

I have had a cheapo version of the Yuri Gagarin Sturmanskie watch for quite a few years, had to change the battery once but keeps great time, I may have to adjust a bit every few months? https://sturmanskie.com/catalog/gagarin/

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Workmate of mine is an avid collector. He has started his own watch company as a sideline, realising his own designs.

He is watch mad (Dad worked for Rolex) and his dream is to quit his job and do this full time.

https://tesourotimepiece.com/

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Get it regulated!

Oh, and nice rare watch :thumbsup:

It needs a bit of work, I’ve had it for 15 odd years. Needs the hub where the hands connect sorting out and also the ‘glass’ needs sealing properly. The bracelet needs a bit of love, all in all it needs a good resto/renovation, and if possible the timekeeping improved.

D

Deleted member 2719

Slightly off-topic, I love grandfather clocks.

Anyone else like a classy clock???

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Bit obsessed but getting better.
Started off with an 1950’s Omega bumper when you could buy them for a £100. Then a Rolex Oysterdate 1956 for a few hundred. Still have them both, each are slow by about 5/10sec a day.
Had a nice full set Rolex GMT that I liked until they become really popular and valuable then I felt uncomfortable wearing it so sold it a few years back. Had a nice vintage Tudor submariner that was sold for the same reason.
Currently got a Seiko Skx007, (-10sec a day) modern Tudor sub, (+2) 1950’s Bulova given to wife who hasn’t a clue where it is, a Panerai plain dial homage that I never wear and a Rula made in East Germany in the 1970’s that has a nice retro look. My most recent purchase was an impulse purchase of a Chinese watch made by Pagani Design for just over a £100. This has to be one of the best bargains I’ve had, it’s constructed well and runs at 2 Sec fast a day.
I’ve also got a small collection of mantle and wall clocks that were gifts.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Slightly off-topic, I love grandfather clocks.

Anyone else like a classy clock???

Well - yes. Along with my pocket watch and fountain pens (see above) I have a beautiful chiming mantle clock that I bought in Farnham in 1996. When I say 'bought', I actually exchanged it in an antique shop for my five Nat West pigs - which at the time were worth something (you can get the set on ebay for about £30 now). It's still going strong and visitors love it. I found a looky likey in a book once, that dated it to somewhere like 1910.

Clock.JPG

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Also got a Tudor Heritage Ranger and love it. My pride and joy though is a Tudor 79160 chronograph I built out of parts over a period of several years having picked up a box of watch bits at a car boot sale years ago and finding the dial in it and going from there. The case, dial and movement are original Tudor if from probably 5 different source watches, the hands are replacement ones - because it's a bit of a cannibal watch ("franken watch" is a term I've heard) it couldn't really be sold ever, but for the look of it and satisfaction it's the one I wear most. The crystal needs replacing as it's a bit cracked, so I'll probably get round to that in the summer.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Auto but mechanical, I would never wear a quartz watch it just feels so wrong to me . Rolex datejust 2008 is my watch of choice , bought it from new and get it serviced every 3 years . Accurate to within 10 seconds over a period of a week .

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We did this thread a year or two ago didn't we?

I have a bit of both, Monaco needs a service . . . havent worn it for a few years . . . . is accurate withing a few seconds a day though. Have a £15 Tegrov oddity I found on ebay, gains a minute or two a day, but looks cool doing it.

have a few quartz jobbies as well, one a Christopher Ward which was a prize from racing via the HRDC, don't have a problem with them, they do a job.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Well - yes. Along with my pocket watch and fountain pens (see above) I have a beautiful chiming mantle clock that I bought in Farnham in 1996. When I say 'bought', I actually exchanged it in an antique shop for my five Nat West pigs - which at the time were worth something (you can get the set on ebay for about £30 now). It's still going strong and visitors love it. I found a looky likey in a book once, that dated it to somewhere like 1910.

View attachment 144230
Lovely.

It's strange how just a few decades ago these grand clocks would take centre stage in a house, now it's a 83" OLED 4k TV.

There is nothing like a chime from a special clock IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
51483C87-90B0-4122-8541-C63AA975BD62.jpeg

Possibly loses a few seconds a week. No idea really - I pay no real attention to that.

(Note - I did take this photo ten minutes before posting it here - the watch hasn't lost ten minutes, since I last set it!)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I remember seeing, a long time ago, a shirt with a hole in the cuff so when driving you could keep an eye on time whilst pressing on, or 'making time'

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I wear a Tag Heuer Kirium. Nice little watch, not too big, and certainly not flash, but a decent watch none-the-less. It does seem to keep really good time, it if does lose/gain a few seconds I've certainly never noticed in 20 years of wearing. However as I often have to change the date at the start of the month, I probably reset it without ever really noticing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here