Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We really need to start games the way we finish them.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
First of all I am of course pleased we got a point away at Leicester but it’s starting to get frustrating how often we fall behind in games.

We have only taken the lead this season in six of our 22 games. In those six we have won 5 and drawn 1 which shows how crucial it is for us.

We seem to finish games with a more attacking team and a higher level of intensity than we started with and we need to get a better balance by starting games faster.

That for me is the next step in our evolution. I know we like to manage players minutes but Lamptey and Welbeck should be 100% starting against Watford.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Little steps, we are getting better each season, keep improving each year, yes it's frustrating for the fans sometimes but we are on 30 points now and it's only January

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
no coincidence that the performance changed when we brought lamptey and welbeck on. they give us two things we're sorely lacking in the rest of the team, pace and physical presence in the penalty area. that goal is what maupay's game should be all about, dropping out wide and using his quality to create chances when the defence is all packed into the box. leaving him up top on his own, as good as he's been this season, is doing him a disservice

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Very true. We look like the powderpuff girls up from for the first 70 or so minutes of every game and then all of a sudden we click. Really good teams are dangerous throughout. We are not - yet.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Was thinking exactly the same myself.

I assumed we were holding attacking players back in order to be more defensive and not risk going a goal down but we ALWAYS go a goal down so why not start with the attacking players and see if we can go a goal up for a change?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Score more goals you mean? What, like get another striker? Has anyone else noticed this?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
First of all I am of course pleased we got a point away at Leicester but it’s starting to get frustrating how often we fall behind in games.

We have only taken the lead this season in six of our 22 games. In those six we have won 5 and drawn 1 which shows how crucial it is for us.

We seem to finish games with a more attacking team and a higher level of intensity than we started with and we need to get a better balance by starting games faster.

That for me is the next step in our evolution. I know we like to manage players minutes but Lamptey and Welbeck should be 100% starting against Watford.

We do already don’t we? 0-0

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
no coincidence that the performance changed when we brought lamptey and welbeck on. they give us two things we're sorely lacking in the rest of the team, pace and physical presence in the penalty area. that goal is what maupay's game should be all about, dropping out wide and using his quality to create chances when the defence is all packed into the box. leaving him up top on his own, as good as he's been this season, is doing him a disservice

As I said on another thread I think Lamptey had a niggle carried over from Chelsea game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

We finish as the more attacking team because we’ve often been behind. We didn’t finish the more attacking side agonist Brentford or Everton because we were ahead.

We’ve often gone behind through being a bit too adventurous in the first half. Not sure we lack intensity, but when the opposition are a goal ahead with something to hold it may look that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here