Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant Thread 2022

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm trying Ciarans this week. Been looking forward to it for ages and always ended up going to Fanoos or Mediterra (both of which are great) if we're staying local, so I'm excited.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Ciarans, Portland Road

Right up there with one of my favourite places in the city. Bags and bags of flavour in every dish. Mrs MBH went mad over the beef shin tagliatelle. For my money the nduja mussels were one of the best things I've ever eaten in B&H. Lovely staff. £130 for two. Just go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Forgot to say went to Due South at lunchtime last week. Good mix of food. Only let down was the Hake in Lobster bisque which was really salty. I think they massively over seasoned it, I even had lumps of salt still crystallised in it. But the rest really good. Would go again - but slightly splurgy treat

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Went to The Little Fish Market on Thursday to begin the celebrations for my 60th. Lovely as always. It's a pricey treat though and noticed although prices up since our last visit pre COVID there is now none of their lovely bread offered.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ciarans, Portland Road

Right up there with one of my favourite places in the city. Bags and bags of flavour in every dish. Mrs MBH went mad over the beef shin tagliatelle. For my money the nduja mussels were one of the best things I've ever eaten in B&H. Lovely staff. £130 for two. Just go.

2 great sounding dishes. Ever since [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] mentioned nduja mussels a while back I've been meaning to make some but haven't got round to it. Just a combination that makes sense but I don't believe I've tried. Something for next weekend, I reckon.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
2 great sounding dishes. Ever since [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] mentioned nduja mussels a while back I've been meaning to make some but haven't got round to it. Just a combination that makes sense but I don't believe I've tried. Something for next weekend, I reckon.
Yeah we were saying the same and will be giving it a go at home. Last night's was really well spiced, so I'm assuming they use a very good quality sausage. Plus the mussels were absolutely huge. It was also ever so slightly creamy.

I don't reckon it will be hard at all to make, just tricky to perfect perhaps. I'll let you know how we get on!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
KitchenTable, Charlotte Street, W1

Remains my second favourite restaurant, I think. A real pleasure to share the last 10 years with James and Sandia to see them grow and reap the awards they so richly deserve.

They comped the evening for me and Riccardo - the GLDHI being indisposed.

Menu and champagne pairing appended if you’re interested.

View attachment 152353

View attachment 152354

Wow. That looks amazing. How long did it take? Purely out of curiosity, how do they utilize the former Bubbledogs bit? Is the restaurant still out the back?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It’s a great combo!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
KitchenTable, Charlotte Street, W1

Remains my second favourite restaurant, I think. A real pleasure to share the last 10 years with James and Sandia to see them grow and reap the awards they so richly deserve.

They comped the evening for me and Riccardo - the GLDHI being indisposed.

Menu and champagne pairing appended if you’re interested.

View attachment 152353

View attachment 152354

….and I was overlooking the very obvious question…what’s your first?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Went to The Little Fish Market on Thursday to begin the celebrations for my 60th. Lovely as always. It's a pricey treat though and noticed although prices up since our last visit pre COVID there is now none of their lovely bread offered.

Last few times we've been (including with G1976?), as delicious as the bread has been, it's been slightly undercooked/raw (towards the bottom)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ciarans, Portland Road

I enjoyed it when we went, especially as they did (do?) BYO on Wednesdays.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sushi Tetsu. Everyone knows that :D

(That's Goldstone's, I mean. Out of my price range)

Yes, the obvious question had an obvious answer. My advice is to eat out less over a period, such that it comes within your price range. For me, along with The Sportsman, it's about the best value quality restaurant I've encountered.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sushi Tetsu. Everyone knows that :D

(That's Goldstone's, I mean. Out of my price range)

I think you’re right. Stupid question really :lolol:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Wow. That looks amazing. How long did it take? Purely out of curiosity, how do they utilize the former Bubbledogs bit? Is the restaurant still out the back?

In at 5:30 for pre-prandial drinks and the first few nibbles; out at 00:20. Legendary.

Normally, the former bubbledogs bit is KT's bar now. For this week only, it's KT's bar until c 6:30, then bubbledogs until 10:30 (all part of the 10-year anniversary celebrations)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In at 5:30 for pre-prandial drinks and the first few nibbles; out at 00:20. Legendary.

Normally, the former bubbledogs bit is KT's bar now. For this week only, it's KT's bar until c 6:30, then bubbledogs until 10:30 (all part of the 10-year anniversary celebrations)

Bubbledogs has a reprise for the celebrations, brilliant. The event sounds superb and it must have been extra special for you given your fondness of the place :thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Sportsman at Seasalter are taking bookings for 2023 as of this morning. Usually a long wait time for a weekend booking so a good time to get in there.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Sportsman at Seasalter are taking bookings for 2023 as of this morning. Usually a long wait time for a weekend booking so a good time to get in there.

Thanks for this. Also worth noting that they've revived their tasting menu. I now need to gather a party to go.

Edit: I was wrong. Tasting menu still not available, nor is the a la carte. Instead there's a halfway house. Oh well. I'll just have to rest on the memories of enjoying their multiple course tasting menu twice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here