[Food] Restaurant Thread 2022

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Maru, W1.

As part of my birthday present, the GLDHI booked Maru, a sushi joint raved about by Coren. We went last night.

On the tube journey there, I wittered about it apparently being hard to find saying that a reviewer had resorted to asking a newsagent where it was. It was indeed hard to find if you haven’t yet learned how to use Google Maps and your eyes. Go to the indicated spot, look up, see the word ‘Maru’ above a matte black door and enter.

A long, thick, blonde wooden counter awaits which in non-Covid times seats 10, but currently seats 6. Two sittings/night. Omakase only - though, with prior warning, they did replace the oyster with octopus for the GLDHI.

There’s much to admire about the ethos of the place - a focus on sustainability and a real focus on local sourcing; 80% from the UK (mostly Cornwall and the Orkneys), nothing from further than Spain (the tuna). The wasabi root is grown in “Dorset” (though I could have
sworn that the only UK grower farms in Sussex). I say nothing from further than Spain. That applies to the food ingredients. I’m pretty certain that the excellent junmai daiginjo (made in Niigata prefecture) was from a little further away.

There were 21 courses (£170/head, food only). The majority were fish (though no uni or hamachi due to his food miles policy), with the addition of a pretty good duck dish and an excellent root vegetable medley.

The quality was good; very good occasionally. He’s precise, and all the dishes were technically strong and clean. His sauces were excellent in the main. It’s clearly rooted in traditional sushi, but he’s expanded the repertoire - sometimes, but not always, to good effect.

We left.

“Well?”
“Everything was a little, err, bland wasn’t it?”
“Quite”

A lot to admire, quite a few individual components were very good to excellent, but the one-word review is ‘bland’. Odd. I’m not quite sure how he pulled that off.

As I predicted on the 2021 thread, it’s not as good as Sushi Tetsu, despite Coren’s ravings. It’s probably the second best sushi I’ve had in the UK (far better than the style over substance at Endo), but if Sushi Tetsu scores a 10 (it doesn’t, it scores 11+), then Maru scores a 6.5.

By all means go if you’re after a teaser of what sushi could be like if only the chef were, err, better.

Edit:

“I’d say 6.5 is harsh” says the GLDHI
“Really?”
“Yeah”
“What would you say it should be then?”
“7”
“[small snort]”

Whatever.

Edit 2:

“You didn’t say anything about the textures. They were good.”
“Hmm. Yes, they were”
“Especially the trout, the mushrooms [a medley of 12], and the octopus”
“I wouldn’t know about the octopus, you wouldn’t give me any”
“It was my favourite dish”
“Thanks for that. Why don’t you post your own review?”
“On NSC, you mean?”
“No”

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If you like sushi, Nobu is excellent.

Thanks. Yes, Nobu is very good. I’m a little put off by their desire to ‘sex up’ their sushi; the more traditional, the better - for me. Also, some of the punters in Nobu go to be seen (a bit like Endo), which I find off-putting. But there’s no doubting the quality of their food.

As an aside, the chefs at both Maru and Sushi Tetsu spent time in the Nobu brigade before starting their own places.

Edit: On reflection, I’d place Nobu above Maru for sushi, thus relegating Maru to third (or lower if there’s other places I’ve been but forgotten about). Nobu’s blackened cod is exquisite (but not sushi obvs).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maru, W1.

As part of my birthday present, the GLDHI booked Maru, a sushi joint raved about by Coren. We went last night.

On the tube journey there, I wittered about it apparently being hard to find saying that a reviewer had resorted to asking a newsagent where it was. It was indeed hard to find if you haven’t yet learned how to use Google Maps and your eyes. Go to the indicated spot, look up, see the word ‘Maru’ above a matte black door and enter.

A long, thick, blonde wooden counter awaits which in non-Covid times seats 10, but currently seats 6. Two sittings/night. Omakase only - though, with prior warning, they did replace the oyster with octopus for the GLDHI.

There’s much to admire about the ethos of the place - a focus on sustainability and a real focus on local sourcing; 80% from the UK (mostly Cornwall and the Orkneys), nothing from further than Spain (the tuna). The wasabi root is grown in “Dorset” (though I could have
sworn that the only UK grower farms in Sussex). I say nothing from further than Spain. That applies to the food ingredients. I’m pretty certain that the excellent junmai daiginjo (made in Niigata prefecture) was from a little further away.

There were 21 courses (£170/head, food only). The majority were fish (though no uni or hamachi due to his food miles policy), with the addition of a pretty good duck dish and an excellent root vegetable medley.

The quality was good; very good occasionally. He’s precise, and all the dishes were technically strong and clean. His sauces were excellent in the main. It’s clearly rooted in traditional sushi, but he’s expanded the repertoire - sometimes, but not always, to good effect.

We left.

“Well?”
“Everything was a little, err, bland wasn’t it?”
“Quite”

A lot to admire, quite a few individual components were very good to excellent, but the one-word review is ‘bland’. Odd. I’m not quite sure how he pulled that off.

As I predicted on the 2021 thread, it’s not as good as Sushi Tetsu, despite Coren’s ravings. It’s probably the second best sushi I’ve had in the UK (far better than the style over substance at Endo), but if Sushi Tetsu scores a 10 (it doesn’t, it scores 11+), then Maru scores a 6.5.

By all means go if you’re after a teaser of what sushi could be like if only the chef were, err, better.

Edit:

“I’d say 6.5 is harsh” says the GLDHI
“Really?”
“Yeah”
“What would you say it should be then?”
“7”
“[small snort]”

Whatever.

Edit 2:

“You didn’t say anything about the textures. They were good.”
“Hmm. Yes, they were”
“Especially the trout, the mushrooms [a medley of 12], and the octopus”
“I wouldn’t know about the octopus, you wouldn’t give me any”
“It was my favourite dish”
“Thanks for that. Why don’t you post your own review?”
“On NSC, you mean?”
“No”

Blimey, this certainly put my Cod and chips last night in the shade. :wink:

I enjoyed them though!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Carrying in the seafood theme this is in today’s Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...e-social-worthing-riotous-wake-me-up-flavours

Might try and squeeze a pre-match visit this season as the London trains seem to route via Worthing these days.

As someone who frequently runs by Bayside Social in utterly shit weather, I can empathise with this:

There is nothing romantic about Worthing today. Instead, my relationship with the town feels hotly dysfunctional, like it’s strapped me to the wall bars and is calling me filthy names. A wolf of a gale attempts to strip the clothes off my back, the rain slaps me about the chops and, beyond the beach, an angry sea seems to merge with a sky the colour of the bags beneath my eyes after too many late nights.​

I'm also annoyed that we've not made it there yet, despite both loving Pitch and also repeatedly saying "we need to go to Bayside Social" as it will be more difficult to get in now. I did have it vaguely pencilled in for brunch today. Damn you Rayner!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
£170 a head, food only :moo:

With a bottle of plonk, service charge and train fare, that's half a grand for a meal out.

I guess I'm in the wrong profession.

But even if I was, my inner Scotsman (long lost in my roots) wouldn't let me pay that for a bit of bloody raw fish.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As someone who frequently runs by Bayside Social in utterly shit weather, I can empathise with this:

There is nothing romantic about Worthing today. Instead, my relationship with the town feels hotly dysfunctional, like it’s strapped me to the wall bars and is calling me filthy names. A wolf of a gale attempts to strip the clothes off my back, the rain slaps me about the chops and, beyond the beach, an angry sea seems to merge with a sky the colour of the bags beneath my eyes after too many late nights.​

I'm also annoyed that we've not made it there yet, despite both loving Pitch and also repeatedly saying "we need to go to Bayside Social" as it will be more difficult to get in now. I did have it vaguely pencilled in for brunch today. Damn you Rayner!

Worthing’s Crab Shack also gets The Guardians praise, in their top 10 of European beach restaurants no less. Bayside Social for lunch, a 1-1 draw at the Amex followed by dinner at the Crab Shack……that’s how to deal with the train issue.

https://amp.theguardian.com/travel/2019/mar/11/10-best-beach-restaurants-uk-europe

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Worthing’s Crab Shack also gets The Guardians praise, in their top 10 of European beach restaurants no less. Bayside Social for lunch, a 1-1 draw at the Amex followed by dinner at the Crab Shack……that’s how to deal with the train issue.

https://amp.theguardian.com/travel/2019/mar/11/10-best-beach-restaurants-uk-europe

I went to Crab Shack in the summer or 2019. It was alright but nothing to write home about. I mean, it was decent but not sure it'd be anywhere near my list of Europe's best beach restaurants.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maru, W1.

Somebody else struggled with Google Maps and finding a sushi joint in town :(

Oh, and I hate Giles Coren.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
£170 a head, food only :moo:

With a bottle of plonk, service charge and train fare, that's half a grand for a meal out.

I guess I'm in the wrong profession.

But even if I was, my inner Scotsman (long lost in my roots) wouldn't let me pay that for a bit of bloody raw fish.

To be fair, it was a birthday present from his lady friend; maybe we both need to upgrade our partners? :lolol:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Bet he was desperate to get on here and tell everyone how much it cost, that is after the point of restaurants who charge that much, exisitng as they do for people whose wealth exceeds their class

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here