Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why we have our bottle tops confiscated

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Digne just hit on the head with a near-full bottle after Villa take the lead.

There will be repercussions. That was disgraceful.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Don't condone it but why do teams go over and celebrate right in front of the home fans?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Players don’t do themselves any favours though do they, celebrating right up the the hoardings, gesturing and goading the home fans. Bottle throwing is not okay, but players have to behave as well.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s a sad (football) world we live in when a fan’s automatic reaction to an opposition player doing something good (ie scoring) is to chuck a bottle at him.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Can’t lie loved it when Maupay did it against palace away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that was in front of our fans, villa were no where near theirs

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But that was in front of our fans, villa were no where near theirs

Yeah but he did seem more interested in goading them, and had to be pulled away by another player. It’s not on from any of them.

Cash was full on goading the Everton fans, 2 or 3 times, if he did that to me on a squash court he’d be picking my racket out of his teeth!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Why on Earth should players not go and give some back to fans who abuse them? I love it when our players score and wind up home fans. It is all part of the fun.

Blaming players for doing what they have always done is basically victim blaming. What do we want? A handshake and walk back to the halfway line? We wind up oppo players so I have no issue with them giving some back. It happens at the cricket too. Get stuck into the fielder just in front of you, he takes a catch and winds up the crowd. Good for him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The players have a right to celebrate and even gloat. All part of the panto. The supporters don't have a right to throw missiles at them. There is no such thing as contributory negligence.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Yeah but he did seem more interested in goading them, and had to be pulled away by another player. It’s not on from any of them.

Cash was full on goading the Everton fans, 2 or 3 times, if he did that to me on a squash court he’d be picking my racket out of his teeth!

Are you being serious? You would assault someone for celebrating? Or are you just saying that? It is not doing it to the opponent anyway.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I still think confiscating bottle tops is over the top. They are confiscated as they are an easy target and easily removed. Let's have consistency and confiscate coins then. If people want to luzz something, and they don't have a bottle, then they'll luzz something else i.e. a coin.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
To be fair, Digne had just taken the corner, then Buendia ran over to celebrate/thank him. Digne is clearly going to be a target for abuse today.
But yes, maybe the players should all run toward the centre circle upon scoring to avoid missiles. Next time I go to a Panto I'm gonna hurl bottles of drink at the villain as that is clearly now acceptable.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are you being serious? You would assault someone for celebrating? Or are you just saying that? It is not doing it to the opponent anyway.

Don’t be stupid.

I’m saying there is no need to goad home fans.

Same in cricket right, a bowler isn’t allowed to direct their celebrations at the batsmen they’ve just got out - why? Because it isn’t necessary and the batsmen is suffering enough being out. Same for fans, bad enough to concede without players giving it big time to them.

Absolutely not condoning any action from fans, but this can be looked at from both sides. Players don’t celebrate in the faces of their opponents out of respect, no reason this shouldn’t extend to fans. By all means celebrate but al this gesticulating and goading fans is unnecessary.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Obviously he’s an idiot, but I can’t see how confiscating bottle tops stops someone throwing it?

If a player comes anywhere near the crowd (so every goal ever scored) you can still do some damage with a full bottle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here