Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Car hire Newark Airport USA

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Hi all, hoping I can tap into the hive mind that is NSC. Looking to hire a car early April for 15 days, flying into Newark. Does anyone have any experience or advice, especially in the current climate where car hire rates have gone through the roof? Should I book from the airport, or is there a reputable firm not too far away that would be cheaper? When should I book, now or nearer the time? Currently, the best quote I've had is around £1250 for a medium sized saloon, but some have quoted over £2000 for the exact same model. Many thanks in advance for any help

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Biggest factor is queue on arrival having learnt that prices are much the same.

I therefore don’t recommend Hertz. Have had to queue to get keys for over an hour having pre booked whilst a dozen others have had empty desks which we could otherwise have just walked up to and been on our way. After a long flight this was worth it’s weight in gold.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just use a comparison and go with best deal. Check any credit cards to see if you have included insurance so you can avoid all the ‘add ons’ you probably don’t need

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I’d book the best deal you can find but keep shopping. Most companies have free cancellation, so you can switch if you you find something better later on. You don’t want to be stuck at the airport without a car…

scooter1

How soon is now?
I’m currently looking for LA at the end of May and have the same problems. Most offers are currently up to the end of April, so for me it’s just a case of hanging on. We used Alamo from Newark in the past and that was ok as you could check in on line and do the rest via a machine. Good shout for holidayautos and also Expedia

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Are you going into Manhattan?

Just a thought - but it’s a doddle to get a PATH train into the centre and hire a car when you’re in the city or on the Jersey side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Are you going into Manhattan?

Just a thought - but it’s a doddle to get a PATH train into the centre and hire a car when you’re in the city or on the Jersey side.

We are going south (long story, too boring). We're up for a short cab ride if it means saving a couple of hundred quid.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Car hire prices are ridiculous all across the States throughout this year.

I’d suggest trying any of these to see if they can give you a better price (they all do car only):

Virgin Holidays
British Airways
Autoeurope.com
Hotwire.com
https://www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk

With the latter use the “Contact us” and ask for a manual quote. The chap who owns the business, Andy, can often come up with market beating prices.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh, if you haven’t got flights already (but it sounds like you have) have a fiddle with the BA customised trip tool.

It can throw up some bargains when you mix and match flights with hotel and/or car.

Note: not the regular flight + car booking option, find the customise trip tool.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We just booked flights with BA to Newark, managed to get a large 7 seat MPV for 7 days for £500 including 2 named drivers, seemed like a decent deal.

We’ve had experience of booking separately in advance and picking up at Newark when they tried to lay on is all sorts of extras, doubling the price. In the end we went to the desk next door and got a deal the same as what we’d pre-booked. Since then we book when booking flights, always worked out for us.

SuperWill

Feb 17, 2012
Hove
Turo.com is really popular in the US and works well from my experience. Basically people rent out there cars. Go for an all-star host (bit like super host of Airbnb). Should be about 50% of the normal companies

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
We are going south (long story, too boring). We're up for a short cab ride if it means saving a couple of hundred quid.

It might be worth googling places in Hoboken or Newark itself. I used to live in NY and you certainly paid for airport care as opposed to local places.

Can’t guarantee it with current prices but it’s certainly worth a look. That part of Jersey should have a few places and cabs are quick and easy if you want to avoid the PATH

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
So, thanks for all the advice. I took a look at our proposed route to our first motel, and googled the next town south from the airport. Got a reasonable car from the Avis is Linden for £830, vs the £1250 vs the same car from the airport. Now to book a cab to get us from the airport to the rental in time...

Jul 7, 2003
Is that still through BA? If not, make sure that the new deal is still with full insurance as US car hire is often based on supplementing local's own insurance.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Is that still through BA? If not, make sure that the new deal is still with full insurance as US car hire is often based on supplementing local's own insurance.

I've added LDW to that, and I also have car hire excess insurance separately as well. It's not through BA, just went through the Avis website with the particular office in mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here