Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Meat Loaf RIP

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
RIP Marvin Lee Aday - one of the best gigs ever attended at the Brighton Centre. Still not sure how the roof remained on after his singing. Amazing voice. Bat out of Hell album up there with the all time greats

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This is Vegetaranism gone mad. Seriously though, although never a big fan, can't help thinking of the thread where someone on here put Coldplay as the best live gig you could see today, and weep a little.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wasn’t a fan but I recognize his huge talent, character and sheer presence of personality. RIP.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Saw him at the Brighton Centre years ago around the time Bat out of Hell Album was out, a great showman he kept everyone waiting it was all seater when out comes a guy who says he’s sorry to say meatloaf is unwell and a stand in will be on shortly, the audience is getting really agitated chair’s are being moved when out come the stand in all of five foot tall skinny as a rake the audience is booing then lights flash the curtain raising smoke billowing and out of the stage floor arises Meatloaf what a fantastic entrance chairs cleared the main hall everyone was up dancing.
Not so much a concert more a stage show but one of the best I ever watched

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I still remember seeing this 'live' on the OGWT for the first time

Absolutely superb. RIP

Gets a big mention in The Guardian’s tribute today:

“When Meat Loaf and band actually turned up to play on BBC2’s Old Grey Whistle Test in 1978, their appearance caused a sensation.

And why wouldn’t it? Look at the footage of them performing Paradise By the Dashboard Light. His voice is already showing signs of the touring-induced wear that would scupper Bat Out Of Hell’s follow-up, but it hardly matters. Meat Loaf is in all his ruff-shirted, pop-eyed, finger-pointing, handkerchief-flapping majesty, while his duet partner Karla DeVito hams it up for all she’s worth, alternately looking bored rigid, furious or contemptuous.

They spend the section of the song where a baseball announcer details the progress of a backseat fumble pretending to get off with each other. While DeVito rages at him about marriage, Meat Loaf stares down the camera with an expression that reads “can you believe this crap?” At another juncture, he creeps up behind her, wielding the microphone stand as if he’s about to smash her over the head with it. The song ends with Meat Loaf doubled over, repeatedly screaming “I can’t take it any more!” while DeVito rests her foot on his back and raises her arms in triumph.

It still looks completely deranged 44 years on. Now imagine it appearing alongside the rest of the stuff Whistle Test dished up that year: Dean Friedman, 10CC, Dire Straits, Billy Joel, Jefferson Starship. You might have got the odd new wave band in there but really, what price the Vibrators after something this arresting and berserk?

It’s hard to think of anyone else who could have pulled off such a performance, who could have done something so simultaneously absurd and thrilling.”

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Gets a big mention in The Guardian’s tribute today:

“When Meat Loaf and band actually turned up to play on BBC2’s Old Grey Whistle Test in 1978, their appearance caused a sensation.

And why wouldn’t it? Look at the footage of them performing Paradise By the Dashboard Light. His voice is already showing signs of the touring-induced wear that would scupper Bat Out Of Hell’s follow-up, but it hardly matters. Meat Loaf is in all his ruff-shirted, pop-eyed, finger-pointing, handkerchief-flapping majesty, while his duet partner Karla DeVito hams it up for all she’s worth, alternately looking bored rigid, furious or contemptuous.

They spend the section of the song where a baseball announcer details the progress of a backseat fumble pretending to get off with each other. While DeVito rages at him about marriage, Meat Loaf stares down the camera with an expression that reads “can you believe this crap?” At another juncture, he creeps up behind her, wielding the microphone stand as if he’s about to smash her over the head with it. The song ends with Meat Loaf doubled over, repeatedly screaming “I can’t take it any more!” while DeVito rests her foot on his back and raises her arms in triumph.

It still looks completely deranged 44 years on. Now imagine it appearing alongside the rest of the stuff Whistle Test dished up that year: Dean Friedman, 10CC, Dire Straits, Billy Joel, Jefferson Starship. You might have got the odd new wave band in there but really, what price the Vibrators after something this arresting and berserk?

It’s hard to think of anyone else who could have pulled off such a performance, who could have done something so simultaneously absurd and thrilling.”

It is absolutely wonderful. I was 17 and we were snowed in at a studio in Kent, having had a big gig cancelled that night because of the snow. We picked/pushed a mini that we had and got it to the end of the road to the farm about 3 o'clock. I was in the mini (being one of the youngest and fittest) and we got to the pub, had a couple of beers and bought barrels back to the farm/studio for everyone else.

About 11 o'clock, that came on the TV. I'm dreadful with memories these days but that is still vivid, there were some good musicians blown away that night, and I love it to this day :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I never saw him live.

I remember when I first got a CD player. It was, as I remember, a personal CD player and I pilfered the CD 'Hits out of Hell' that had been bought at the market at Haywards Heath. Basically the main songs from his early albums. I listened to it so much. Then over the years got a lot of his albums, Bat out of Hell 2, welcome to the neighbourhood, bat out of hell 3, hang cool teddy bear, braver than we are. Some stronger than others, of course.

I saw the stage musical. Though it's officially 'Jim Steinman's Bat Out of Hell: The Musical' Meat Loaf is one of the producers, and he always dominated and got most of the attention for Bat out of Hell.

There's a TV movie that tells their story that I really enjoyed watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mSJBF9OSW0

The whole thing is on youtube. Stars W Earl Brown (who plays Kenny the Cameraman in Scream) and Dedee Pfeiffer (Michelle's Sister).

Rocky Horror Show and Fight Club are the major acting roles people point to, but he was also in the original Broadway cast of Hair. And he had a long career in movies and TV. He even made an appearance on an epiosde of WWE Raw to promote 'Hang Cool Teddy Bear'. He came out and tried to convince Randy Orton to use one of the songs as a new entrance theme:

https://youtu.be/OqaSLHWSLLo

(after 1m15 it Meat is not seen again in the video)

He also got to duet with Chef:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYqINQRFhaE

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
His music, which I loved as a kid lead me into the music I still hold dear today, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc.
One heck of performer too. You don’t see many like him.

RIP Mr. Loaf.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Get vaccinated

Yep, seemingly another tragic waste if true- from Wiki “Meat Loaf died on the evening of January 20, 2022, at the age of 74. No cause of death has been officially announced, but the singer's manager, Michael Greene, confirmed that he was supposed to attend a business dinner earlier this week, but the dinner was cancelled because he was seriously ill with COVID-19. He was surrounded by his wife, Deborah, daughters Pearl and Amanda, and close friends. The singer had been outspoken about COVID, specifically railing against vaccine mandates in Australia and it is unknown if he was vaccinated.”

😢

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
When all said and done Bat out of Hell was a great album and a soundtrack of my late teens. RIP big man.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Some wonderful examples of him on YouTube early stuff, late stuff, stuff with orchestras, blimey he was amazing. RiP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here