Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldstone centre circle

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
Anyone have any idea where this is, curious and whether it would be worth petitioning the club to get it marked if it is still possible to locate? I mean likely a car parking space next to Lidl but just wondering why it was never considered to have it marked by something.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd imagine it's somewhere in either DFS or Lidl. Can't imagine either of them being happy to put a little monument in the middle of their store !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone have any idea where this is, curious and whether it would be worth petitioning the club to get it marked if it is still possible to locate? I mean likely a car parking space next to Lidl but just wondering why it was never considered to have it marked by something.

No recognition because the barstewards who owned the club back then just wanted us to disappear and went out of their way to try and make it happen. It then became a no go area for most fans, some I think even avoided going past the site until after the Amex was built

It would make good sense to mark it with a plaque now though, it would almost certainly increase footfall wouldn’t it?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
No recognition because the barstewards who owned the club back then just wanted us to disappear. It then became a no go area for most fans, some I think even avoided going past the site until after the Amex was built

It would make good sense to mark it with a plaque now though, it would almost certainly increase footfall wouldn’t it?

As a rational bloke I still have an extremely irrational hatred of that ****ing retail park. As my wife and kids will attest, I’ve never set foot in there. A few years ago I had some grown up commercial correspondence with the freeholders and pointed out that a proper memorial to the Goldstone within the boundaries of the site would help to heal a few deep wounds and be excellent for their local business. They listened and said they spoke to individual leaseholders - nothing came of it. *****! All of them.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It could be calculated pretty accurately based on aerial maps and photography etc, but what’s the point of putting a gravestone in the middle of a store?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Even to this day, I'd never shop there. About 10yrs ago my dad and I drove there to get something, I made him stop so I could get out of the car before he entered the carpark.
It's probably seen by some as a little extreme after all these years, but I don't think I'll ever bring myself to go there, I don't even like driving past.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Glad this has come up today. Thursday 20th (yesterday) I was at a shop next door (TLC, great for cheap electrics) and wife said shall we pop in to Sofalogy. NO I said, and didn't. I also turned down a burger from the take away. As I don't live near there I took the opportunity for some memories and drove down Goldstone Lane, Goldstone Crescent and Woodruff Avenue and murmered 'He shot, he scored, it must be Peter Ward'. Strangely emotional trip.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
All the while I lived in Brighton I never once went in to the retail park I don’t believe I went past it either. It’s extreme I know but the emotions are just to strong to even consider that place anything other than a football ground and the place where I fell in love with the albion

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I don't think I'll ever bring myself to go there, I don't even like driving past.

I know someone that lives round the corner from the retail park and actively avoids driving past whenever possible. Must make his life very hard but he's an obstinate type and manages it!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Have never driven past the site of the Goldstone since the Doncaster game on and even avoid trying to catch a glimpse of the site if I'm looking over Brighton & Hove from the Downs . Certainly would never contemplate shopping there.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
When I've trained it to Hove to walk up to B&H CC I can't even look at it. I would certainly never set foot. Will probably seem odd to our younger cadre on here but that's the way it is for me.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Like others I have never stepped foot in the Goldstone Retail Park....and never will. I cannot bring myself to taint my childhood memories from entering that retail park.
Only a couple of years ago I sat on the fencing outside whilst my partner went into TK Max. My partner told me 'Just get over it, you're football club has moved to a bigger and better stadium now' Obviously she doesn't understand the history of Brighton & Hove Albion and sacrilegious childhood memories.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I never even saw the place until we were at Falmer, that said I’ve even been in there now. It’s all part of where we are now and it’s all worked out in the end. The absolute state of that development though is embarrassing, shops changing every year, looks like a run down dump ready for knocking down. I like to think it’s karma.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Spent years avoiding the place but, post-Falmer, the lure of Toys R Us to my son meant I finally caved in. I've been to the new Lidl too but EVERY time I go I remind whoever I'm with just what hallowed ground it is they are standing on. Oh how I used to dream of owning a house overllooking the Goldstone. Pity the poor sods now.

As for where the centre spot is, someone tech-minded needs to get an aerial shot of the Goldstone and place it over the sky shot of the shit-show there now. Maybe we could all pop down to mark the pitch out again for an anniversary kickabout.
:goal:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's extremely unlikely, but I live in hope we'll be back there one day.

A moving walkway and 4th platform @ Hove station . . . 3 storey underground car park, and a Proper standing North stand with an underpass for the Old Shoreham Road. . . 10k standing. the whole rear section a massive bar with a 70m wide urinal underneath :lolol:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I often wonder if we'd be where we are now had we not been booted out of the goldstone?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I live just round the corner from the Goldstone and have never set foot in the site. Never will

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here