Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ply lining a van

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Has anyone ever ‘ply lined’ a vehicle from a kit..how straightforward is it…I have this paranoia about screwing into something important
Alternatively any recommendations locally for a fitting service

TIA

Ps is it really a five minute job?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Has anyone ever ‘ply lined’ a vehicle from a kit..how straightforward is it…I have this paranoia about screwing into something important

TIA

I really want to convert a van into a camper one day, and I find there are many useful videos on this sort of subject on Youtube. Have a look.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Here is a list:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ply+linin g+a+van[/video]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have assisted on a couple of vans including a carpet truck converted into a home. I can’t help with the technical side but I will say this;
It takes a while so get out and stretch your legs and shoulders often. My knees were battered by the end of the second day.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

TIA

Couldn't be further removed from a five minute job! It's not a nice job either, unless your a decent level of carpenter with all the right tools, get a professional in to do it. We use a firm in Newdigate but I think it's a few hundred quid per van.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
When you say kit, is the kit specific to your vehicle and if it is it needs to be accurate.
If not then it really is not easy at all.
I replace my van every 5 years and I get a carpenter or company that have experience in ply lining vans without drilling holes where you shouldn't drill holes.
It is not too expensive either, ply is cheapish and it doesn't take an experienced fitter long to do, usually half a day.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

TIA

When I bought my van from Tates in Portslade, the ply lining was an extra that they arranged to be fitted on their site before I collected the van. Maybe worth giving them a call to see if they have the company details.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When you say kit, is the kit specific to your vehicle and if it is it needs to be accurate.
If not then it really is not easy at all.
I replace my van every 5 years and I get a carpenter or company that have experience in ply lining vans without drilling holes where you shouldn't drill holes.
It is not too expensive either, ply is cheapish and it doesn't take an experienced fitter long to do, usually half a day.

Yes it would be a kit specific to the van …if i could find a fitter local then dependant on price that would be the way I’d go

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
When I bought my van from Tates in Portslade, the ply lining was an extra that they arranged to be fitted on their site before I collected the van. Maybe worth giving them a call to see if they have the company details.

Good shout, I have had 2 new vans on lease over the years and the dealer got it ply lined for me, hopefully any van dealer will give a contact number.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I really want to convert a van into a camper one day, and I find there are many useful videos on this sort of subject on Youtube. Have a look.

Thanks…yes I’ve already looked at a few…i find some of those YouTube videos of people converting vans and then touring/living fulltime in them fascinating ..i have a moment of thinking i should do that and sell the house and just go touring…and then think better of it

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Buck the trend and ply the outside, like a transit version of a Morris Minor Traveller.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A kit, if proper should fit well. THe internal panels of most vehicles have recesses for internal panels to fit, the drawings for which are often available on line for trimmers and coachbuilders.

I bought a Transit LWB/Hi Top about 15 years ago, had already been play lined, I removed it all, then insulated and replaced, as I went through a camper conversion process ( finally getting it professionally trimmed)

Its hard work and time consuming, but not hugely difficult, if you're half competent with tools.

IF you can find someone who does it regularly, use them . . . I wouldn't even consider starting from blank sheets of 8x4 or whatever.

For the roof/ceiling, which is rarely done, I got some thin birch ply as it curved nicely and the trimmer was happy with it . .all fitted after a roof light and opening vent

ALternatively you could buy a large car which comes with all the trim in it, and its soft, and they charge less for it!

Woodys were all the rage once . . F4A85AA6-B97C-4674-A576-C1144924FCD3.jpeg

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
[MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION] will screw you if desperate :moo:

He kitted out his van and has all his own tools lol

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I assume for work? I bought a Vivaro a few years ago and ply lined it with a kit that had all kinds of little storage boxes as part of the kit that were prefixed to the liner. I bought it as a kit and fitted it to the van, it was bought specifically for my year/model and they clarified it all before they sent it to me and it works a treat. Obviously on the sides there isnt much you can hit with a screw as its bascially just sheets of metal with no wires etc.. I just made sure i got the screws into the metal struts along the sides which was pretty easy from recall.

Didnt line the floor, just kept it the metal so no chance of hitting anything there.

Found the storage essential in my sort of work, have lots of different small things i need to have at hand and it makes it dead easy to find a certain item, size, colour etc.. Different scews have different boxes, various clips, silicones, glues, tools, drill bits etc.. all have their own little 'home' where i can lay me grubby 'ands on em.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here