Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FA investigating yellow card given to Arsenal player over suspicious betting patterns

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
FA investigating yellow card given to Arsenal player over suspicious betting patterns

According to The Athletic, the FA are looking into an incident involving a Gunners player receiving a booking during a Premier League match this season, amid concerns regarding suspicious betting patterns.

The report also claims that bookmakers had noticed an unusual sum of money placed on the member of Mikel Arteta 's squad being handed a yellow before flagging it to the FA.

"The FA is aware of the matter in question and is looking into it", the FA were quoted as telling The Athletic.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/fa-arsenal-suspicious-betting-patterns-22806462

--------------------------

Some speculation on line who the player is, won't repeat here, but I can see that it was raised on Twitter at the time the booking happened.

A long ban for the player if found guilty.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A week ago FIFA suspended Swedish former Leeds player Pawel Cibicki for four years because of the exact same reason, pretty much career ending.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's hard to believe a player on tens or hundreds of thousands a week would bother with something as stupid as this.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's hard to believe a player on tens or hundreds of thousands a week would bother with something as stupid as this.

Furthermore there is one particular Arsenal player who would be my go to (out of the whole PL) bet if I had to stick a fortune on a Yellow card being waved. His odds must be terrible though,

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Furthermore there is one particular Arsenal player who would be my go to (out of the whole PL) bet if I had to stick a fortune on a Yellow card being waved. His odds must be terrible though,

Not in any way implying or suggesting that this is the person in question (the odds would be awful), but I would suggest that there's a certain combative midfielder that I would bet the house on getting a card.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My favourite betting scam ever was 'Time Of First Throw In'. West Ham kicked off. West Ham player booted ball into touch about three seconds later. That was the end of that particular betting market forever :lol:

Oh and not been any recorded instances of 'floodlight failure' leading to abandonment in recent years round these parts. Used to always be standard tactics for Far East betting syndicates. Seem to recall it even happened at least once at West Ham. What's the chances of that then? :wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The player wouldn't necessarily have to be in on it. The riggers could get to the referee, instead. Pretty much every midfielder in a game will make at least one challenge, that a ref COULD conceivably book them for without arousing any suspicion.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

I heard about the odds movement and watched the match on the telly...

It was so blatant imo...He booted the ball away before a free kick was taken, went in to a tackle like he was a linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys yet still never got booked...I'm sure the ref wasn't involved but eventually he got booked on about 70 mins...

Bets all landed

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
My favourite betting scam ever was 'Time Of First Throw In'. West Ham kicked off. West Ham player booted ball into touch about three seconds later. That was the end of that particular betting market forever :lol:

Oh and not been any recorded instances of 'floodlight failure' leading to abandonment in recent years round these parts. Used to always be standard tactics for Far East betting syndicates. Seem to recall it even happened at least once at West Ham. What's the chances of that then? :wink:

One incident involving a Saffer batsman was with bets that he wouldn't reach a certain score. He gave a dolly catch just before getting there which was dropped. Out of guilt, or concern at things being obvious, he carried on and played normally.

The crying shame was Cronje's forfeit at Centurion. It was seen as an outstanding move to stop a game meandering to a draw- only for it to be later found out that he had done it for a bung.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
FA Investigation into Arsenal yellow card

A couple of snippets from the full article:

The Football Association is looking into a yellow card received by an Arsenal player in a Premier League fixture this season, amid concerns over suspicious betting patterns.
It is understood that bookmakers flagged to the FA an unusual amount of money placed on the Arsenal player being shown a yellow card during a Premier League game this season.

The Athletic knows the identity of the player in question but has agreed not to reveal it at this time due to legal reasons.

Defender Bradley Wood was meanwhile banned for six years in 2018 after intentionally picking up yellow cards in Lincoln City’s cup run.

Full article in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3079669/2022/01/19/fa-looking-into-yellow-card-shown-to-arsenal-player-over-suspicious-betting-patterns/

* Apologies for starting a new thread, I didn't see the original post.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A couple of snippets from the full article:

The Football Association is looking into a yellow card received by an Arsenal player in a Premier League fixture this season, amid concerns over suspicious betting patterns.
It is understood that bookmakers flagged to the FA an unusual amount of money placed on the Arsenal player being shown a yellow card during a Premier League game this season.

The Athletic knows the identity of the player in question but has agreed not to reveal it at this time due to legal reasons.

Defender Bradley Wood was meanwhile banned for six years in 2018 after intentionally picking up yellow cards in Lincoln City’s cup run.

Full article in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3079669/2022/01/19/fa-looking-into-yellow-card-shown-to-arsenal-player-over-suspicious-betting-patterns/

Which FIXTURE do you think it occurred in?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The player wouldn't necessarily have to be in on it. The riggers could get to the referee, instead. Pretty much every midfielder in a game will make at least one challenge, that a ref COULD conceivably book them for without arousing any suspicion.

In the clip I've seen - which I won't link for obvious reasons but it wouldn't take Jonathan Creek to find it - it's blatant time wasting when they are 4-1 up after a crunching foul not long before very late on in the game.The player in question doesn't have a reputation for being the brightest either which is backed up by the fact they smashed it on Betfair for anyone with an Internet connection to see how much they hovered up. Amateurs.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw this, and my mind went to Rudiger's completely unnecessary yellow last night.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
FA investigating yellow card given to Arsenal player over suspicious betting patterns

According to The Athletic, the FA are looking into an incident involving a Gunners player receiving a booking during a Premier League match this season, amid concerns regarding suspicious betting patterns.

The report also claims that bookmakers had noticed an unusual sum of money placed on the member of Mikel Arteta 's squad being handed a yellow before flagging it to the FA.

"The FA is aware of the matter in question and is looking into it", the FA were quoted as telling The Athletic.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/fa-arsenal-suspicious-betting-patterns-22806462

--------------------------

Some speculation on line who the player is, won't repeat here, but I can see that it was raised on Twitter at the time the booking happened.

A long ban for the player if found guilty.

Peter Swan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Swan_(footballer,_born_1936)

Bring the roof down.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here