Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who replaces Bissouma?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If we accept that Biss is going for a good wedge in the Summer, who replaces him as our first choice dmf?

When Villa were said to be sniffing round, I had an enlightening discussion with a Villa fan I know, he said they were nailed on to get him( yawn) and that we would go backwards when he left because he’s our best player we couldn’t replace him. I said that I trust the club and we have several players who could step up and fulfill the Biss role. I admit, I wasn’t really sure, if truth be told, that that was the case , however, over the last few weeks, and when Biss was out, for various reasons earlier in the season, I think we do have excellent cover for him now.
MacAllister, Alzate, Mwepu, and Caicedo are all in the frame, after last night’s performance from Alzate, I think he would be the first choice, but I haven’t seen enough of Caicedo to make a judgement, the other two, aren’t exact replacements but could do a job. We would also miss Mac further forward.

From having a feeling of impending doom about Biss leaving, I’m now feeling far more upbeat.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I've said it before, Biss is such a unique and incredible footballer, it's not possible to replace him with just one player. We will do what we have done this season in the games he hasn't played and effectively replace him with a unit.

Luckily we've got one of the most tactically astute managers in world football so he will make it work. The way we play under Potter, there isn't a single individual player I would worry about not playing, whoever we bring in will do a job as part of the team - under Potter we will always be greater than the sum of our parts.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We seemed to cope OK last night against THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE without him. Completely dominated the midfield for 90% of the game. We seem to have the replacement lined up.

Perm 1 from:

Moder
Alzate
Mac Allister
Gross

Future

Mwepu
Caidedo
Kozlowski
Mitoma

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Biss-whom-a?

Sorry, sorry, that's completely tongue-in-cheek, I don't mean it and obviously he will, unlike Ben White, be a HUGE loss when he eventually leaves - but we haven't missed him nearly as much as I thought we would. Credit to Potter that he's already planning for a Biss-free future.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
We seemed to cope OK last night against THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE without him. Completely dominated the midfield for 90% of the game. We seem to have the replacement lined up.

Perm 1 from:

Moder
Alzate
Mac Allister
Gross

Future

Mwepu
Caidedo
Kozlowski
Mitoma

Mitoma and Kozlowski are surely attacking players and wouldn't be considered for the Bissouma role? Mind you, having said that I have never seen Alzate as that type of player until recently and he was fantastic last night.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Mitoma and Kozlowski are surely attacking players and wouldn't be considered for the Bissouma role? Mind you, having said that I have never seen Alzate as that type of player until recently and he was fantastic last night.

You are of course correct. Where does Taylor Richards play?

I forgot Lallana in the 'current options' as well.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
If we accept that Biss is going for a good wedge in the Summer, who replaces him as our first choice dmf?

When Villa were said to be sniffing round, I had an enlightening discussion with a Villa fan I know, he said they were nailed on to get him( yawn) and that we would go backwards when he left because he’s our best player we couldn’t replace him. I said that I trust the club and we have several players who could step up and fulfill the Biss role. I admit, I wasn’t really sure, if truth be told, that that was the case , however, over the last few weeks, and when Biss was out, for various reasons earlier in the season, I think we do have excellent cover for him now.
MacAllister, Alzate, Mwepu, and Caicedo are all in the frame, after last night’s performance from Alzate, I think he would be the first choice, but I haven’t seen enough of Caicedo to make a judgement, the other two, aren’t exact replacements but could do a job. We would also miss Mac further forward.

From having a feeling of impending doom about Biss leaving, I’m now feeling far more upbeat.

He wont go to Villa, why step down?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've said it before, Biss is such a unique and incredible footballer, it's not possible to replace him with just one player. We will do what we have done this season in the games he hasn't played and effectively replace him with a unit.

Luckily we've got one of the most tactically astute managers in world football so he will make it work. The way we play under Potter, there isn't a single individual player I would worry about not playing, whoever we bring in will do a job as part of the team - under Potter we will always be greater than the sum of our parts.

This is the correct answer to an incorrect question.
Players have different skill sets. You won't find any with the same skill set as Bissouma, therefore we can't replace him. What we can do is to formulate new plans to cope with the players available, our formation/s and the opposition. As the OP says, we've got both the players and the manager to deal with this situation. After last night, if we're offered £50m for Biss in this transfer window, it'd be worth considering.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Since Bissouma will be leaving and Lallana will be 34 when the next season begins, there's probably two "starting when fit" spots in the team to fight for and there's a bunch of candidates. I think it could take a while into the new season before anyone can say - when it comes to midfield - that "this player is definitely starting", but at some point one or two players will claim the positions.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Perm 2 from Kozlowski, Caicedo and Alzate.
Moder, Mwepu or MacAllister dropping back when needed.

You don’t just replace special talents but I don’t think we need to worry any more than we did with White.

Selling Biss might just be what allows us to be able to sign a real goal poacher without breaking the club’s financial structure.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Ultimately when we lose Bissouma just like when others follow over the coming transfer windows I'm certain the answer is already within the club. Potter seems to delight in bedding young talent and watching them develop, the message looks clear. If you are showing in training that you are good enough and disciplined enough to follow the managers plans then you will get game time

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
I think we have enough players who are ready to step up and a lot of promising youngsters for next season, it's time to either take the cash for Biss or offer him a fat new contract.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Perm 2 from Kozlowski, Caicedo and Alzate.
Moder, Mwepu or MacAllister dropping back when needed.

You don’t just replace special talents but I don’t think we need to worry any more than we did with White.

Selling Biss might just be what allows us to be able to sign a real goal poacher without breaking the club’s financial structure.

I guess it's more a wages thing,

And let that bloody potter bloke work out how to replace the irreplaceable!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Are they?

Seems like the sort of thing you'd expect them to mention.

I know, they are very coy about it.
[MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] mentioned it to me towards the end of the 2nd half last night, I was totally oblivious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here