Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter.........

After last night the talk of our Graham going onto bigger clubs notched up a bit. Many pundits and commentators banging on about him being good enough for managing the likes of United liverpool. Yes, he won't stay forever and it's nice our manager is talked about so highly but just a little niggle in me that 1 of them will come calling as early as this summer?....thoughts anyone?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
After last night the talk of our Graham going onto bigger clubs notched up a bit. Many pundits and commentators banging on about him being good enough for managing the likes of United liverpool. Yes, he won't stay forever and it's nice our manager is talked about so highly but just a little niggle in me that 1 of them will come calling as early as this summer?....thoughts anyone?

Some of my family are STH's at the amex, and they say that he is shitehouse

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
First time in the history of the Albion that we should be genuinely concerned about losing our manager when the next top six manager gets the boot. Potter will be on the wish list of, dare I say, every PL team the next time they need a manager.

WOW and also SHIT :smile: and :down:

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
First time in the history of the Albion that we should be genuinely concerned about losing our manager when the next top six manager gets the boot. Potter will be on the wish list of, dare I say, every PL team the next time they need a manager.

WOW and also SHIT :smile: and :down:

He won’t be on the list of the big six yet imo, superb manager but these clubs want European pedigree/a proven winner of silverware, both of which Potter is not, yet. If Potter could get us into Europe or win a cup, I think those clubs would really begin to take note

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It was only last season that we were having in/out polls after every game.

He is still a big gamble for the big clubs, I think we'll have him for another couple of seasons at least.

The big 6 don't really do anything brave or interesting when it comes to appointing a manager.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
On the Guardian match report thread, there were supporters of Tottenham and Man United saying they would have him this Summer, Man City fans saying he should come to them once Pep hangs up his tracksuit, and Everton fans saying he is too good for them!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
We've seen it happen time and time again though. A relatively unknown manager gets a minnow playing great football and getting results, gets a job at a top club and fails because the big time Charlie's don't give him the respect that the minnow team players did.

It sounds like he knows which side his bread is buttered on and would be an idiot to leave any time soon.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
When was the last time a Premier League club poached another Premier League club’s manager?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we've seen so many well performing managers go to the "top" clubs after a good season or two and fail. struggling to think of one that made a success, its a route to disappointment. many screw up thier career from that point too. like to see managers take thier natural asprirations of winning titles and make them happen at the middling club.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Hairy P is in a similar position Brendan Rogers was when he went to Lyverpule I suppose, maybe get another rseason.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Not sure why ppl are only talking about the PL. Potter has a continental philosophy which would be a great match for many European sides. It’s a similar situation to StevieG at Villa. If Graham continues to make us better, the more he will highlight his own qualities. The better StevieG does at Villa the more likely he takes over from JK.
At Brighton, we just keep enjoying the ride and watch games like we did last night.
At times we made the European champions look very ordinary, although the amount of games the top clubs have at the moment is ridiculous.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We've seen it happen time and time again though. A relatively unknown manager gets a minnow playing great football and getting results, gets a job at a top club and fails because the big time Charlie's don't give him the respect that the minnow team players did.

It sounds like he knows which side his bread is buttered on and would be an idiot to leave any time soon.

we've seen so many well performing managers go to the "top" clubs after a good season or two and fail. struggling to think of one that made a success, its a route to disappointment. many screw up thier career from that point too. like to see managers take thier natural asprirations of winning titles and make them happen at the middling club.

Indeed. I remember back in the 1990s when Norwich were the underdog darlings of football. Their achievements eclipsed our current ones as they qualified for Europe and beat the mighty Bayern Munich 2-1 away. Their British manager, Mike Walker, was hailed as the next Bill Shankly, and all the talk was which big club would he manage as he was obviously capable. Eventually, and against Norwich's wishes, he went to Everton ... where he sank without trace. I've just looked up his record and he was in charge for a mere 31 games and won 6 of them. Even in the 1990s that got you the sack. He eventually went back to Norwich, but it wasn't the same.

Potter himself has said he isn't a miracle worker and his success is as much down to the environment as it is to his coaching abilities. So he isn't stupid and won't accept one of the traditional 'poisoned chalice' roles even if it is at a big club; it will have to be the right environment and probably only Liverpool or Man City of the Big clubs could currently offer that.

I also think he'll need a year or two more yet to cement his reputation, he still could be seen as a bit of a flash in the pan. And of course he's only three defeats away from 'Potter: In or Out?' polls on NSC.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I just hope that, if and when he goes, GP doesn't move to a position which is your typical poisoned chalice - there are a few around at the top level. :albion2:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I agree with the OP, last night I ultimately felt a bit sad that we may never see the full culmination of what we're doing here at Brighton at the moment.

I feel fairly sure that Ashworth will take the DOF job at Newcastle, and then give the manager job to Potter in the summer, followed by a few of our best players as well. He really is the perfect fit for Newcastle, and they can afford to give him the contract and the backing he would want. Ah well, if it happens, c'est la vie but would stick in the craw.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
He may very well leave us at the end of the season, he may also do a Fergie/United or Moyse/Everton and stay for years, I'm just enjoying the current set up with a quality manager, managing quality players who are playing some wonderful football.
I've spent so many years wanting our club to do great things that now it's finally happening, I don't want to focus on losing our manager or star players.
It's an amazing time to be an Albion fan and long may it last. Enjoy it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What many on here failed to grasp last season is that Potter tactically is doing things differently to almost every other club save ManCity. The fluidity of our tactics is stunning, we can go from a 3, to a 4, to a diamond in midfield, to a 4-4-2 all seemlessly depending on the needs of the game. He has given belief to a group of players that they are total footballers in that 70s Dutch philosophy. There is no longer a ‘what are we going to do without Dunk, Duffy, Bissouma, Mwepu’ - Alzate comes in and his his best game for the club - he believes in himself the group believe in him.

Last night I watch the European Champions bamboozled by our tactics. The only real trouble for us is many sides just think **** it we’ll sit in our half and hope they don’t score, that doesn’t take anything away from the creativity of our play.

I know it has been 2 consecutive draws, but I really did enjoy both games, atmosphere rightly electric with anticipation. Great times that actually it’s the really big games we’re looking forward to - any notion of it’s just a ‘PL big 6 free hit’ long gone.

Every game you can study our movement, positioning, flexibility through all the phases of play. Fascinating to watch. Did someone say our recruitment has been questionable - what on earth are you watching!?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Would not surprise me if man u come calling in summer

I believe Mr Potter is a Man Utd fan so you might have a point.

However, I think he might prefer to manage a club with some sort of strategy already in place. A club that invests in infrastructure instead of a family taking the profits out as dividends.

I know that he is too good for us but if he has to go, he’s surely a long term replacement for either Arteta, Klopp, Guardiola or Southgate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here