Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter.........

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not the most recent example but Pochettino, from Southampton to Spurs, would be a similar elevation, I guess.

Perhaps, but he had had 4 years at Espanyol in the top Spanish league before joining Stains. GP had some Poly in the North, a swedish side and one season at the second best team in Wales.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We've seen it happen time and time again though. A relatively unknown manager gets a minnow playing great football and getting results, gets a job at a top club and fails because the big time Charlie's don't give him the respect that the minnow team players did.

Indeed. I remember back in the 1990s when Norwich were the underdog darlings of football. Their achievements eclipsed our current ones as they qualified for Europe and beat the mighty Bayern Munich 2-1 away. Their British manager, Mike Walker, was hailed as the next Bill Shankly, and all the talk was which big club would he manage as he was obviously capable. Eventually, and against Norwich's wishes, he went to Everton ... where he sank without trace. I've just looked up his record and he was in charge for a mere 31 games and won 6 of them. Even in the 1990s that got you the sack. He eventually went back to Norwich, but it wasn't the same.

Indeed. I remember a case a few years ago (it might even have been pre PL) when a manager moved from a successful career at a lower level club to a top flight team (not a top, top team, but nonetheless with a few internationalson the books).

On his first day, an England interational greeted him at training: " Hello, I'm xxx xxxx, I play for England. Would you like my autograph?" I don't think the move turned out to be a great success.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Leicester are the club I would be most worried about if Rodgers moved on as they have stable ownership, healthy squad and budgets and would not come with the pressure of a Man Utd or Liverpool.

Could see Potter seeing that kind of job as a next step on his own journey. Strikes me as too smart to just jump at the first big club that wave the cheque book around

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Potter is tactically good enough for any of the big clubs but I think he would struggle in the clubs where players have big egos, eg Chelsea and Manure. Man City would be the best fit but I doubt they would go for him unless he was endorsed by Guardiola as his replacement.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
One thing I'm confident of is that TB is on the ball in terms of thinking ahead and our next manager should GP be poached...

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I can't really see GP enjoying life at a very top club. His whole motivation (thank goodness) seems to be about improving players, an organic process that will give improved results over time. Join a club that's already at the top (e.g. City, Liverpool) and it feels to me as if the only direction is sideways or down. I could see him perhaps joining Arsenal or Tottenham or Villa at some point (not for a year or two) if they are just off the top 4, or an overseas move. Hopefully though...he'll get Brighton close to a Top 4 club and then...well, why move? why uproot the family again?:shrug: Then it could be England, as his Swanny song.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Suspect the year of Moyes at Man Utd has scuppered the chances of any mid-PL manager stepping up to a big club.

As for England, it’d be a disaster for him and England, he needs time to work and drill the players which he simply won’t get. Let’s be honest, it took 18 solid months with our players before we started to get it properly. You just can’t do that when you get the players together for 3-4 days a few times a year.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Leicester are the club I would be most worried about if Rodgers moved on as they have stable ownership, healthy squad and budgets and would not come with the pressure of a Man Utd or Liverpool.

Could see Potter seeing that kind of job as a next step on his own journey. Strikes me as too smart to just jump at the first big club that wave the cheque book around

I’m not sure I would see Leicester as a step up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He will leave Brighton to manage a big, but well run, European club and return to manage England. You read it here first.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He will leave Brighton to manage a big, but well run, European club and return to manage England. You read it here first.
No chance. Big family man. Won't leave England again, no need, best league in the world

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m not sure I would see Leicester as a step up.

PL & FA Cup all within last 10 years, European football a few times …?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Was sacked, joined Everton a few months later I think

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

It was a strange one.

Watford got wind that Silva/Everton were orchestrating his departure, so got a sacking in first.

B8678E87-B4A2-4A81-884E-D3EC457041FF.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here