Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gumtree & Whatsapp - fraud vulnerability

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought this was worthy of a thread, to highlight a weakness in Gumtree and Whatsapp, if you're not careful. We almost got stung.

Just 10 minutes ago we put a sofa up for sale on Gumtree. Seconds later a buyer appeared via Whatsapp, great, paying at full price.

With a legit link to our Gumtree ad. We followed the whatsapp route, which asked for full debit card details to be able to pay us, I assume for accounts details. They also asked for the account balance .... we smelt a rattus. So I emptied that bank account to another online.

A bit more then occurred, but to cut a long story short, that move stopped the fraud.

Cnt was then whatsapped "F@ck off fraudster", his reply was "LOL".

No loss thankfully, now cancelling bank card and reporting Cnt to Whatsapp.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
If you give your payment details ie sort code, account number and account name they can transfer money to you but can’t scam you. It’s no different to writing a cheque like in the old days.

Tell that to Clarkson who boasted about something similar and then found he had donated to charity

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gumtree is crawling wth scammers ... I don't go anywhere near it any more

I don't care for it at all.

Mrs.W loves it (household stuff buying and selling) and it was she who almost fell for the fraud. Impatience, delight in getting a quick buyer for a sofa now clogging up our kitchen.

Scammers thrive on impatience and people wanting to clear their email inbox.

The financial cavalry (me) made sure t@sser couldn't benefit from us.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I'm guessing because a lot of organisations like charities, are allowed (by the banks) to set up DDs without a signature, so I can see how someone who had your account details could be a pain, but these would be refunded the moment it was raised as an issue by companies who are allowed to set up DDs ?

Similarly, when I was in banking many years ago, retailers would have to jump through lots of hoops to process 'card not present' transactions, and any dispute on those got immediately refunded (no idea what the situation is now).

So the 'scammer' can't benefit, but can be a pain.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Had great taste, obviously.

Financially, yes. Not everyone's as clever as you and I.

Seriously, there'll be a lot of folk including the elderly who'll be wiped out by this kind of scam.

Always worth reiterating the warnings.

I think it's the haste element that catches people out. I seem to remember [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION]'s son getting scammed a while ago with a very clever, very tightly timed scam. I think it was only after HWT posted it on here and a few people had contributed that we actually worked out exactly what had happened.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Had great taste, obviously.

Financially, yes. Not everyone's as clever as you and I.

Seriously, there'll be a lot of folk including the elderly who'll be wiped out by this kind of scam.

Always worth reiterating the warnings.

Five minutes ago had a text from Nationwide (allegedly) ..something about a new beneficiary (what?) added to my account ..click link to confirm ….hmmm..as i dont have an account easy decision to delete text and block number …

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think it's the haste element that catches people out. I seem to remember [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION]'s son getting scammed a while ago with a very clever, very tightly timed scam. I think it was only after HWT posted it on here and a few people had contributed that we actually worked out exactly what had happened.

Correct.

That was just over a year ago, just before Christmas. His entire account emptied. As you can imagine.....:nono:

More recently the boy has been promoted into a new role, got a nice pay rise, and is just about to move into a new flat share - in Canterbury which means a walk to work rather than a drive from Faversham.

I may have mentioned a couple of times that people who cross me very often seem to come a cropper without my raising a finger. Spooky :rolleyes:

So, it wouldn't surprise me if the fraudsters are, at this very moment, wringing crack piss out of their old pants 'to save for later'. :whistle:

:thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Correct.

That was just over a year ago, just before Christmas. His entire account emptied. As you can imagine.....:nono:

More recently the boy has been promoted into a new role, got a nice pay rise, and is just about to move into a new flat share - in Canterbury which means a walk to work rather than a drive from Faversham.

I may have mentioned a couple of times that people who cross me very often seem to come a cropper without my raising a finger. Spooky :rolleyes:

So, it wouldn't surprise me if the fraudsters are, at this very moment, wringing crack piss out of their old pants 'to save for later'. :whistle:

Great to hear. I'm quite a cynical old git and there's very many things I don't believe in but Karma :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Correct.

Makes note….’Never cross Harry’

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here