Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you a super-recogniser?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
I've always considered myself good at recognising/remembering faces*, so read this article about a super-recogniser with interest https://www.theguardian.com/society...own-low-the-secret-life-of-a-super-recogniser

There's a link on the article to this test to see where you rank against others https://facetest.psy.unsw.edu.au/

It takes 20 minutes and isn't mobile compatible, so you'll need to be at a PC if you want to try it. I got a little distracted by work at one stage (imagine that when I'm supposed to be working), but still managed 69% and a place in the top 10%, so I guess I am pretty good at recognising faces. A career in the secret service awaits...?

*I once recognised someone outside a bar in Canary Wharf, so got chatting to her to see if I could place where from. It turned out I'd met her 18 months beforehand in Auckland - she was the girlfriend of a friend of a friend and I'd met her in the kitchen of their houseshare in Ponsonby for about 20 minutes before I went on the p|ss with her boyfriend!

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I've always considered myself good at recognising/remembering faces*, so read this article about a super-recogniser with interest https://www.theguardian.com/society...own-low-the-secret-life-of-a-super-recogniser

There's a link on the article to this test to see where you rank against others https://facetest.psy.unsw.edu.au/

It takes 20 minutes and isn't mobile compatible, so you'll need to be at a PC if you want to try it. I got a little distracted by work at one stage (imagine that when I'm supposed to be working), but still managed 69% and a place in the top 10%, so I guess I am pretty good at recognising faces. A career in the secret service awaits...?

*I once recognised someone outside a bar in Canary Wharf, so got chatting to her to see if I could place where from. It turned out I'd met her 18 months beforehand in Auckland - she was the girlfriend of a friend of a friend and I'd met her in the kitchen of their houseshare in Ponsonby for about 20 minutes before I went on the p|ss with her boyfriend!

I'm brilliant at remembering and recognising faces...

Great how your avatar & username are linked as I've always loved Michael Jordan

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
There's a lot to understand with this subject. Personally I think I'm face blind, or at least I have a mild version of it. I really struggle to recognise people, especially out of context, including friends and family members on occasion. It can be acutely embarrassing in both work and social situations.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
There's a lot to understand with this subject. Personally I think I'm face blind, or at least I have a mild version of it. I really struggle to recognise people, especially out of context, including friends and family members on occasion. It can be acutely embarrassing in both work and social situations.

Same. Watching war films, for example, where everyone is wearing the same clothes, is a nightmare. I have no idea who is who or how you are supposed to follow it, unless there is a ginger or something in there. Weirdly though, I will remember the name of someone I met for ten minutes fifteen years ago. But wouldn’t have a clue who they were if they walked into my front room.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
One of our neighbours actually is – he works with the police and others, and I've had some interesting discussions with him about it.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Same. Watching war films, for example, where everyone is wearing the same clothes, is a nightmare. I have no idea who is who or how you are supposed to follow it, unless there is a ginger or something in there. Weirdly though, I will remember the name of someone I met for ten minutes fifteen years ago. But wouldn’t have a clue who they were if they walked into my front room.

Identify with all that. I can spend almost two hours with someone I've just met for the first time, in a one-to-one work situation, but if I ran into them half an hour later in the street it's very likely I won't recognise them. Struggling to follow the plot line of a film is apparently a classic face blindness thing. (Rioja can also cause it.)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Got 63% correct which is inside top 50%. Would say I'm good with faces and this points to that. Definitely not a super recogniser though.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

The opposite for me. A very attractive young lady came over at a campsite in SE Australia with a bottle of wine, and said she knew me. I couldn't place her at all, which considering her looks I found puzzling. Turned out I had sat next to her for an evening on a sofa eight months earlier in a youth hostel in Perth. I was still puzzled. Then she said 'watching the England match' [World Cup Italia '90] - and it all made sense as to why I had not focused on her!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
No. I am the exact opposite; indeed I struggle to recognise people I know well if they're wearing sunglasses. It's a source of both an embarrassment, amusement and exasperation to my family. I'm constantly saying "Who's that?" when we're watching TV/films as I struggle to recognise the different characters. My wife often has to apologise for me when people say "I saw your husband and he completely ignored me".

I have various coping strategies when people who obviously know me approach me and I haven't a clue who they are; the best one being smiling and nodding until they give a clue as to their identity. Sometimes I think I know somebody and launch into a conversation, until embarrassingly they have to stop me as they haven't a clue what I'm on about.

I always score highly, i.e. off the scale, on those 'autistic' tests though, not sure if the two are related.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'm going to suggest that [MENTION=41385]Randy McNob[/MENTION] will score badly on this test - but more for "general" eyesight issues. :whistle:

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
That felt like utter guesswork, stressful and I didn't think I could remember any of them, but somehow my score wasn't too bad.

I have no minds eye (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34039054) so thought I would terrible at this, learn something every day I guess.

On the UNSW Face Memory Test you scored 27 out of 40.

On the UNSW Face Sorting Test you scored 54 out of 80.

Your overall score on the UNSW Face Test was 68%.

For your information, based on the first 6300 participants on the UNSW Face Test:

Top 5% scored 72% and above

Top 10% scored 69% and above

Top 25% scored 65% and above

Top 50% scored 61% and above

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Who's asking?

No, really.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here