Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Could we finish 8th?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Found myself on Saturday looking out for the Wolves score, rather than the usual thing of previous seasons checking the results of our relegation rivals.

Why? Because I want us to finish in the top half and as high as feasibly possible. I don't think we can remotely conisider catching any of the top seven (although the 'appy 'ammers could have a bad wobble judging by today). But we could still finish 8th, which let's face it would be pretty bloody amazing.

Our main rivals for the top spot in this mini-league are Wolves and Leicester, though lots of other teams potentially in contention, including resurgent Villa and even y'know who... Leicester definitely the strongest in this group, though.

I can't think of any reason why this might not be possible, although just finishing in the top half would be fantastic. Can we do it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, 8th is one of the many positions the Albion could finish in.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We could.

Will we though?

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Possible but covid postponements have maybe messed with the table a bit, Leicester have two games in hand, we have however played the same amount as Wolves.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Possible but covid postponements have maybe messed with the table a bit, Leicester have two games in hand, we have however played the same amount as Wolves.

and as part of that we still have to play home and away to Spurs and Man U ,

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Europe is still in our hands but I suspect we’ll finish about 10th, which has always been the objective since Tony Bloom became chairman. UTA.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
A top half finish would be an amazing achievement. The Staying Up Tracker reminds us that the second half of the season is tougher than the first half. We have to play Man U and Tottenham twice each. Of course we have shown that we can get points from these games but they are tougher than CP and Everton who are the teams we have already played twice.

We are 3 points ahead on the tracker which would equate to 43 points at the end of the season. Even if we achieve another 3 point gain that would equate to 46 points.

10th spot would usually require more than 50 points. This means that we need to beat the tracker by at least 7 points in the second half.

Very possible because any result means picking up points in a ' free hit ' game. But bloody tough.

So......a top half finish would be a wonderful achievement.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
10th-12th is realistic. Can’t see higher than that given the games left.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I can't think of any reason why this might not be possible

Well try these:

2 wins in last 15 PL;

16 points from last 15 - pretty much identical PPG as for last two seasons when finishing in bottom 6;

15th in home League table with 4 of the top 6 away teams (Liverpool, Chelsea, WHU, and Man U) still to play;

I could go on, as there are always stats you can find to support any case, My point is that Albion had a very fortunate start: outplayed by Burnley and Brentford, and helped by ref against Leicester. Those 9 points are THE only reason we can rest easy on playing PL football next season, never mind dreaming of top half.

Potter admitted a few weeks ago that performances have changed little since last season. IMO what has changed is luck, better defending, and a determination not to be beat. They are all great but they ain't game changing. THE one thing that would be is to score more goals at home. Only Norwich, Burnley and Wolves have scored fewer.

Seems to me that pretty much every bit of the jigsaw fits except scoring goals, particularly at home. Whether that is down to midfield going AWOL or front players not converting or not good from set pieces, I don't know. But it has to change else we are likely to drift downwards.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s a little optimistic but I’ll take it!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Found myself on Saturday looking out for the Wolves score, rather than the usual thing of previous seasons checking the results of our relegation rivals.

Why? Because I want us to finish in the top half and as high as feasibly possible. I don't think we can remotely conisider catching any of the top seven (although the 'appy 'ammers could have a bad wobble judging by today). But we could still finish 8th, which let's face it would be pretty bloody amazing.

Our main rivals for the top spot in this mini-league are Wolves and Leicester, though lots of other teams potentially in contention, including resurgent Villa and even y'know who... Leicester definitely the strongest in this group, though.

I can't think of any reason why this might not be possible, although just finishing in the top half would be fantastic. Can we do it?

What about an insufficiency of points? ???

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We have a more difficult second half of season to first, but I think a lot will depend on if we can get a good run of wins going at some point we need a month of wins not predominantly draws

Blatter

Feb 27, 2012
Be happy with a top half finish as it would show some real progress over the last few years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here