Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our points total - More or less than we deserve?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I have seen a few posts saying we have thrown away/failed to win a lot of points this season. I had posted something similar a month or so ago so thought I would refresh it to see where we currently sit in terms of points gained/lost based on the performances.

Games where we got what we deserved:

- Everton Home (defeat)
- Watford Home (win)
- Man City home (defeat)
- Liverpool Away (draw) - I know some felt we maybe deserved to win the game but we could easily have been 3-0 down and we both had goals rules out for offside.
- Norwich away (draw) - maybe the most contentious in this grouping as we should have had a penalty but they literally missed an open goal and multiple other chances.
- West Ham Away (draw)
- Chelsea Away (draw)
- Brentford Home (win)
- Everton Away (win) - considering they missed a penalty this could be a couple of points gained but overall we deserved to win in my view.

Games where we ‘lost’ points we should have won.

Newcastle Home (draw) - 2 points dropped
Arsenal Home (draw) - 2 points dropped
Leeds Home (draw) - 2 points dropped
Villa away (defeat) - 1 point dropped. I don’t think given the balance of chances in the game this goes down as three points dropped not least because we didn’t actually score.
Palace Home (draw) - 2 points dropped
Wolves (defeat) - 1 point dropped very contentious as we arguably didn’t deserve anything as they had a lot of chances but for Mwepu’ miss alone I think we could have got a point.

Total - 10 points dropped.

Games where we ‘gained’ points we didn’t deserve.

Palace Away (draw) - 1 point gained. A robbery that should have given us more of a bounce (see what I did there!)
Brentford Away (win) - 2 points gained. Based on the balance of chances we didn’t deserve 3 points.
Burnley Away (win) - 2 points gained. Arguably this could be three points gained as they could and should have been 3 up at half time. However I will be prudent and say 2 as we played much better second half.
Leicester Home (win) - 2 points gained. We benefited from some very big refereeing decisions in that game and had they gone against us we would have been raging. Again arguably could be 3 points gained.
Southampton away draw) I point gained

Total 8 (minimum) points gained.

So in summary we are very near to the points total that is a fair reflection of where we should be. Of course we would all love more and right now it feels a bit frustrating and as if history is repeating itself but maybe this is just ‘luck’ evening itself out as we certainly were fortunate earlier in the season.

What are people views?

P.s. if you are tempted to post that in every game you get what you deserve one way or another can I politely suggest this isn’t the thread for you.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Before reading your review, my intuitive response to the question was that we have slightly less points than we deserve.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think that's an excellent summary in the opening post.

From memory (which admittedly isn't always very good) it all matches, game by game, how I remember it.

So in summary. I agree with everything you say there, and your conclusion.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Good summary - I agree with every conclusion, except (possibly) Wolves - not sure we deserved anything at all. You do caveat your conclusion by saying it's contentious :)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Good write up. Great post.

I’d only take issue with ‘Burnley away’ from your calculations.

Whilst we were awful in the 1st half, when we got going, Burnley absolutely crumbled. They were pathetic. Any team falling away by that much deserves absolutely nothing, I hope they’re playing Championship football next season.

If you’ve drilled your team to play incredibly well in the last 20 minutes (has anyone noticed we’re almost the best at this in the EPL???) then you have always got a chance to pick up some points you’d maybe not have deserved from the first half.

So I think our performances deserve 4 more points and that we should be in Man Utd’s position (only 2 places higher).

This is an astonishing progression from last season when we were generally a minimum of 10 places below where I thought we deserved to be.

In summary, I think the squad is only one player off being a top 6 team (and yes, that player is the most important one a team can have, the prolific forward).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we’re at about right. We have 1.5 strikers, so it is logical that we won’t always win games where we’re on top.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I have seen a few posts saying we have thrown away/failed to win a lot of points this season. I had posted something similar a month or so ago so thought I would refresh it to see where we currently sit in terms of points gained/lost based on the performances.

- Everton Home (defeat)
- Watford Home (win)
- Man City home (defeat)
- Liverpool Away (draw) - I know some felt we maybe deserved to win the game but we could easily have been 3-0 down and we both had goals rules out for offside.
- Norwich away (draw) - maybe the most contentious in this grouping as we should have had a penalty but they literally missed an open goal and multiple other chances.
- West Ham Away (draw)
- Chelsea Away (draw)
- Brentford Home (win)
- Everton Away (win) - considering they missed a penalty this could be a couple of points gained but overall we deserved to win in my view.

Villa away (defeat) - 1 point dropped. I don’t think given the balance of chances in the game this goes down as three points dropped not least because we didn’t actually score.
Wolves (defeat) - 1 point dropped very contentious as we arguably didn’t deserve anything as they had a lot of chances but for Mwepu’ miss alone I think we could have got a point.

Palace Away (draw) - 1 point gained. A robbery that should have given us more of a bounce (see what I did there!)
Brentford Away (win) - 2 points gained. Based on the balance of chances we didn’t deserve 3 points.
Burnley Away (win) - 2 points gained. Arguably this could be three points gained as they could and should have been 3 up at half time. However I will be prudent and say 2 as we played much better second half.
Leicester Home (win) - 2 points gained. We benefited from some very big refereeing decisions in that game and had they gone against us we would have been raging. Again arguably could be 3 points gained.

So in summary we are very near to the points total that is a fair reflection of where we should be. Of course we would all love more and right now it feels a bit frustrating and as if history is repeating itself but maybe this is just ‘luck’ evening itself out as we certainly were fortunate earlier in the season.

What are people views?

P.s. if you are tempted to post that in every game you get what you deserve one way or another can I politely suggest this isn’t the thread for you.

So in total we are two points 'down'? I think your assessment above is pretty much correct.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
By now everyone would have played each other had it not been for Covid postponements. The table very rarely lies at this stage. We are where we are on merit. We don't win enough but we are very, very good at not losing.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
So in total we are two points 'down'? I think your assessment above is pretty much correct.
Agree with this assessment. But remember nearly every team will end up roughly where they should be in points terms, taking into account the games they should or shouldn't won/draw/lost over a season. Luck tends to balance out

The outlier last year was us, where we significantly underperformed in terms of points we should have gained.
I reckon after 20 games last year we were at least 12 points down on where we "should have been".

This year we have managed to be "less wasteful" than last year, but clearly the biggest difference has been scoring crucial goals at the end of games.
Remember last year we managed to concede a goal "after" the final whistle!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Think you've pretty much nailed it :albion2:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
So, to cap it all, 2 points dropped so far.
If we had them we would still be in the same position on the table, but just 1 point away from Wolves.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good write up. Great post.

I’d only take issue with ‘Burnley away’ from your calculations.

Whilst we were awful in the 1st half, when we got going, Burnley absolutely crumbled. They were pathetic. Any team falling away by that much deserves absolutely nothing, I hope they’re playing Championship football next season.

If you’ve drilled your team to play incredibly well in the last 20 minutes (has anyone noticed we’re almost the best at this in the EPL???) then you have always got a chance to pick up some points you’d maybe not have deserved from the first half.

So I think our performances deserve 4 more points and that we should be in Man Utd’s position (only 2 places higher).

This is an astonishing progression from last season when we were generally a minimum of 10 places below where I thought we deserved to be.

In summary, I think the squad is only one player off being a top 6 team (and yes, that player is the most important one a team can have, the prolific forward).

This, great post.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Fair summary, felt we should have about 6 pts more but we have definitely stolen a few as you point out. I'll happily take where we are.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
About where we deserve, I think. The gods were well and truly against us last season - this season we've had a bit of luck in the other direction. As they always say, it always evens itself out over two seasons....................

theboybilly

- Everton Home (defeat)
- Watford Home (win)
- Man City home (defeat)
- West Ham Away (draw)
- Chelsea Away (draw)
- Brentford Home (win)

What are people views?

I really don't get where this idea we didn't deserve anything at Selhurst comes from. Apart from a couple of routine saves and a fortunate mess up by Ayew we limited Palace to scraps. They even had to take their best player off as he was largely doing nothing apart from being involved in the penalty. OK it was a late equaliser but that was as much as we deserved for a very, very solid away performance. And the statistics show that up in every sense

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

- Everton Home (defeat)
- Watford Home (win)
- Man City home (defeat)
- West Ham Away (draw)
- Chelsea Away (draw)
- Brentford Home (win)

What are people views?

The thing is, the home games v Newcastle, and particularly Leeds and Arsenal, we were so much better, whereas some of the games you have put down as points nicked were quite close, Brentford away felt like the least deserved points, they created slightly more and defended well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here