Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curtains for the BBC...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Tory governments priorities are strange to say the least.They have been gunning for the BBC for years now with all their lies about political bias. The sooner this bunch of crooks, liars and hypocrites are thrown out on their arses the better.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Will they be allowed to take advertising revenue from 2027? If so, I expect corporates will be hurling money at them by the truckload in order to sponsor and run ads during Strictly and other gormless shows.

Will you shell out for "arts" programmes ?

Millions enjoy "gormless" tv but clearly you are so much superior than we are.
:bla:

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Yes, this is utter stupidity from the Conservatives, showing a total lack of understanding of soft power and shooting themselves firmly in the foot.

Like others, I suspect we won’t have a Conservative government in 2027, as it seems my Conservative voting friends have woken up to the fact that the modern Conservative party has nothing to do with traditional Conservatism, and is in fact just a mechanism for enriching a certain class of business person at the taxpayer’s expense.

The one person I know who is still supporting the Conservatives is that guy who believes that the British Labour Party is directly equivalent to voting for communism, as opposed to very slightly left of the Conservatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The news is depressing, plus you can get that anywhere, don't listen to the radio, don't watch series. Green planet I'd possibly watch but I'd rather watch a film or play a game.
Neither me or my Mrs really watch TV, we have Netflix, Amazon prime, sky and Disney+ for if we feel like watching something.
So what do you watch on Netflix, Amazon prime, sky and Disney+ ?
Is that not TV?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So why not make the BBC accessible to people around the world? For a small fee?

As some posters, myself included, are alluding to its a good advert for the UK. Charging to see an advert is counter productive.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Whilst most of us appreciate the BBC, and its extremely broad church, its patently obvious those like Nadine who prefer PPV TV and all it offers absorb all the culture they need from the bottom draw of the fridge!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yes, they do. That's why the advertisers and sponsors will throw money at it, which will fund the other programmes and channels, stations.

My comment was aimed at your superior attitude by labelling programmes like Strictly as gormless.
Are you saying that anyone who enjoys that show is gormless?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Can't remember any government so bent on wrecking and vandalising.

The time will come when this shower of populist thugs and thickos has been exposed for what it reallly is and thrown out of office, but you have to wonder how much damage will have been done by that point.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1482713205206048771[/tweet]

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Anyone who doesn't appreciate the positive role the BBC plays in our society is an idiot or has ulterior motives, in my view.

Amongst MANY things:
- Impartial news and information as a whole (obviously any given piece will naturally be subjective)
- Coverage of lower level and smaller sports
- Local news and radio
- Decent kids programming. This one is something I really care about - compare the educational kids programmes on BBC to ITV or C5, let alone the full-on commercial ones like Nickelodeon, which are nothing more than extended toy adverts. And whether you have kids or not, we've all got a vested interest in their development.

Without the BBC, people are relying on private media, and people who post unsubstantiated shit on the internet. Which terrifies me.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’m all for anything that stops the ludicrous amounts of money paid to smug cretins like Lineker, Schofield and other talentless TV luuvies.

Philip Schofield…who famously works for ITV?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sorry, you lost me at Nadine Dorries. She’s so incompetent she’s still sticking up for Boris.

Expect her to be gone before then and replaced by an adult.

Probably still sticking up for him, because she knows that any other prospective leader worth his or her salt, will have her replaced as Culture Secretary.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You don't actually HAVE to pay I think?

Watch on line only. Don't watch or listen to any BBC content. Don't pay the licence fee.

Your loss though. The news, five live, 6 music, world service, Green Planet, The Outlaws, the Tourist, House of Games etc etc...we'd be a lesser country without it.
As anyone that has lived with TV in the USA knows.
Not true. If you have any device (PC, laptop, mobile, tablet etc) which has the capacity to receive and/or play BBC content, and you use it to do so, you are liable to pay the licence fee.

(nearly right - see correcting post below)

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015
You don't actually HAVE to pay I think?

Watch on line only. Don't watch or listen to any BBC content. Don't pay the licence fee.

Your loss though. The news, five live, 6 music, world service, Green Planet, The Outlaws, the Tourist, House of Games etc etc...we'd be a lesser country without it.
As anyone that has lived with TV in the USA knows.

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch programmes live on any online TV service - such as ITV Hub, All 4, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV or Sky Go. You don't need a TV Licence if you only ever watch on demand programmes on any TV service apart from BBC iPlayer.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check... TV Licence to,service apart from BBC iPlayer.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The Tory governments priorities are strange to say the least.They have been gunning for the BBC for years now with all their lies about political bias. The sooner this bunch of crooks, liars and hypocrites are thrown out on their arses the better.

They seem strange if you equate Conservatism with "one-nation" Tories like John Major, Chris Patten, etc. But the Tory party these days is reactionary, populist and self-serving. They couldn't give a monkey's about the Union, they're trashing the NHS, closing down free speech (right to protest, etc), demonising "foreigners", bringing in laws which amount to voter suppression, sticking two fingers up at the norms of good governance, treating the Royal Family like sh1t, etc, etc. I could on (and on). It's all about enriching themselves and their mates. Unfortunately the vast majority of the British population can't see (or won't see) what's happening. Perhaps in a few years time we may all wake up to the nightmare that we've allowed to happen....but I fear not.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Anyone who doesn't appreciate the positive role the BBC plays in our society is an idiot or has ulterior motives, in my view.

Amongst MANY things:
- Impartial news and information as a whole (obviously any given piece will naturally be subjective)
- Coverage of lower level and smaller sports
- Local news and radio
- Decent kids programming. This one is something I really care about - compare the educational kids programmes on BBC to ITV or C5, let alone the full-on commercial ones like Nickelodeon, which are nothing more than extended toy adverts. And whether you have kids or not, we've all got a vested interest in their development.

Without the BBC, people are relying on private media, and people who post unsubstantiated shit on the internet. Which terrifies me.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, despite the above, the right wing tories are adamant that the Beeb is not impartial and has an agenda just because they don't suck up to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here