Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curtains for the BBC...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I guess when the BBC starts to have the temerity to hold the government to account then the writing is on the wall.

Watching Johnson blaming the media for the Downing Street lockdown down shenanigans actually being an issue was quite chilling.

It's the judiciary next.

That's what you get when a party, of whatever colour, has a clear and untouchable majority in government (with less than half the vote).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Imagine looking at the headlines from the last month and thinking the biggest problem this country faces is Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Glad this is finally happening. Absolute waste of money year on year.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Glad this is finally happening. Absolute waste of money year on year.

You don't actually HAVE to pay I think?

Watch on line only. Don't watch or listen to any BBC content. Don't pay the licence fee.

Your loss though. The news, five live, 6 music, world service, Green Planet, The Outlaws, the Tourist, House of Games etc etc...we'd be a lesser country without it.
As anyone that has lived with TV in the USA knows.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Watch on line only. Don't watch or listen to any BBC content. Don't pay the licence fee.

Your loss though. The news, five live, 6 music, world service, Green Planet, The Outlaws, the Tourist, House of Games etc etc...we'd be a lesser country without it.

Indeed. Quite a few American friends now use BBC World News for their news, yeah it may be a bit biased, left or right depending on your view, but it's way of funding does make it unique compared to the various US news stations, although PBS is OK

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m pleased the Tory party have finally identified the real issue facing the nation.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
“Labour's shadow culture secretary Lucy Powell accused the prime minister and Ms Dorries of seeming "hell-bent on attacking this great British institution because they don't like its journalism".

In other news, the Pope is catholic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. Quite a few American friends now use BBC World News for their news, yeah it may be a bit biased, left or right depending on your view, but it's way of funding does make it unique compared to the various US news stations, although PBS is OK

The BBC is revered around the world; it does so much good for the UK’s position. Throughout my life, in many countries, I have heard first hand people talk about the BBC with high praise. I have read interviews where people have said similar. This is such a short sighted move. The UK’s standing in the world is rock bottom at the moment; if ever there was a time for the BBC it’s now.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Could this be that the BBC will no longer benefit from the Licence Fee but the Government will retain it to go into Treasury coffers? I am suspicious of their motives.

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015
Imagine looking at the headlines from the last month and thinking the biggest problem this country faces is Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing

"The biggest problem this country faces is Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing" said no one ever.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
People underestimate how important the BBC is in terms of broadcasting standards and integrity, and how - like the Queen - it is respected worldwide and helps Britain to punch above her weight.

Yes, there are things about it I don't like about the BBC, i.e. I think they have been forcing a PC agenda down our throats for a decade (just look at Strictly Come Dancing), and I thought their Brexit coverage was disappointing, led by the awful and shamelessly biased Laura Kuenssberg. However, in terms of programme quality for the licence fee price the value is unbelievable. Not a day goes by without me taking in some of their content.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

The news is depressing, plus you can get that anywhere, don't listen to the radio, don't watch series. Green planet I'd possibly watch but I'd rather watch a film or play a game.
Neither me or my Mrs really watch TV, we have Netflix, Amazon prime, sky and Disney+ for if we feel like watching something.

Chopera

Apr 23, 2021
The BBC is revered around the world; it does so much good for the UK’s position. Throughout my life, in many countries, I have heard first hand people talk about the BBC with high praise. I have read interviews where people have said similar. This is such a short sighted move. The UK’s standing in the world is rock bottom at the moment; if ever there was a time for the BBC it’s now.

So why not make the BBC accessible to people around the world? For a small fee?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here