Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curtains for the BBC...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The BBC licence fee will be abolished in 2027 and the broadcaster’s funding will be frozen for the next two years, the government has said, in an announcement that will force the broadcaster to close services and make further redundancies.

The culture secretary, Nadine Dorries, will announce that the cost of an annual licence, required to watch live television and access iPlayer services, will remain at £159 until 2024 before rising slightly for the following three years.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Well the good news is that there is something called a General Election in 2024, at the very latest I’d hasten to add, and unless I’m very much mistaken the Labour Party will sweep into power and stop this ridiculous Tory Charade no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Might this be Boris' most loyal minister putting something out there to distract attention from other developments? I think so, but this move will no doubt endear them to the party faithful, but not the electorate.

Things fall apart.

I think you’re right, I’ve heard there’s been another gathering to fill the front pages with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Meeting sarcasm with sarcasm, I’ve fortunately never found that I needed a licence to listen to BBC radio.
How do you think the coverage is paid for though? If the fee disappears, so most likely will the less profitable local sports coverage. It's already very poor at times. We got back to the car around 10 o clock on Friday and the sports abruptly stopped. Can you imagine radio Manchester or Liverpool stopping their show ten minutes after the end when their teams are playing rivals?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Might this be Boris' most loyal minister putting something out there to distract attention from other developments? I think so, but this move will no doubt endear them to the party faithful, but not the electorate.

Things fall apart.

I don't think it's even the party faithful is it? She is part of a vociferous group of small minded people who think that having a contrarian view or asking searching questions means that the BBC has a left wing bias. There are just as many people who say that the BBC has a right wing bias. It's pathetic and a sign of the times.

What is the alternative funding model that has been put forward or is that not been discussed yet?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Meeting sarcasm with sarcasm, I’ve fortunately never found that I needed a licence to listen to BBC radio.

I mean I could now ask you how you think BBC radio is paid for but I haven’t got all day for this penny to drop

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
At £159 per annum against Netflix at £5.99 per month I’d beg to differ.

The BBC has an awful lot more services it offers than Netflix does, and it does them ALL very well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't think it's even the party faithful is it? She is part of a vociferous group of small minded people who think that having a contrarian view or asking searching questions means that the BBC has a left wing bias. There are just as many people who say that the BBC has a right wing bias. It's pathetic and a sign of the times.

What is the alternative funding model that has been put forward or is that not been discussed yet?

No idea. The opening post had the look of a cut-and-paste about it, but no source attributed so, largely, I'm taking this with a pinch of salt. Note that the decision (if it's reached that far yet) could always be reversed by an incoming government if the electorate were so minded to plump for an alternative.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And the BBC isn’t? It’s all vacuous shite at the end of the day, hence the term ‘the idiot box’ never more true than today. No way would I pay £159 a year for it though.

I’d be interested to know what would qualify as not being vacuous shite. The BBC probably produces more quality TV than anybody else in the world.

And by that I don’t mean stuff like Strictly or the Wheel, which are vacuous and possibly shite.

Chopera

Apr 23, 2021
Good. Hopefully the BBC can move to a decent subscription sevice and flourish globally, instead of having to geoblock everything outside the UK, while forcing everyone in the UK with a TV to give them money or face being fined (regardless of whether they view BBC content or not).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
And the BBC isn’t? It’s all vacuous shite at the end of the day, hence the term ‘the idiot box’ never more true than today. No way would I pay £159 a year for it though.

Of course if you remove the funding through the licence fee you'll just end up with more of the shite TV and less good stuff as that's where the money is. Look at what ITV produces. I'd rather see the BBC make Peaky Blinders than The Real Housewives of Solihull.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No idea. The opening post had the look of a cut-and-paste about it, but no source attributed so, largely, I'm taking this with a pinch of salt. Note that the decision (if it's reached that far yet) could always be reversed by an incoming government if the electorate were so minded to plump for an alternative.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60014514

This licence fee announcement will be the last. The days of the elderly being threatened with prison sentences and bailiffs knocking on doors, are over.

Time now to discuss and debate new ways of funding, supporting and selling great British content. https://t.co/sXtK25q27H

— Nadine Dorries (@NadineDorries) January 16, 2022​

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At £159 per annum against Netflix at £5.99 per month I’d beg to differ.

There's so much radio football commentary (which is largely pillock-free, and entirely advert free) on Netflix :shrug:

And before you tell me the licence fee is for TV, tell me how BBC radio is funded.

And I haven't even mention news coverage.

Spare me mention of GB news....

Edit I see [MENTION=35904]A1X[/MENTION] beat me to it...

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
giphy.gif

#DefundTheBBC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It’s on the front page of the Scottish Mail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here