Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curtains for the BBC...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The BBC licence fee will be abolished in 2027 and the broadcaster’s funding will be frozen for the next two years, the government has said, in an announcement that will force the broadcaster to close services and make further redundancies.

The culture secretary, Nadine Dorries, will announce that the cost of an annual licence, required to watch live television and access iPlayer services, will remain at £159 until 2024 before rising slightly for the following three years.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just further proof the institutions which make this country great cannot be trusted in Tory hands.

It’ll be the NHS next.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sorry, you lost me at Nadine Dorries. She’s so incompetent she’s still sticking up for Boris.

Expect her to be gone before then and replaced by an adult.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
At £159 per annum against Netflix at £5.99 per month I’d beg to differ.

When Netflix provides 4 TV channels, a huge range of DAB radio stations, an IPlayer service, an equivalent to BBC Sounds, a 24 hour news service and web based services you can begin to compare them to the BBC. That £159 is amazing value...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
At £159 per annum against Netflix at £5.99 per month I’d beg to differ.

You’re right, I love Netflix Sussex’s commentary of the Albion games coupled with their Albion podcast, coverage of the local non-league teams and the like. Not to mention their commentary during the summer of every county cricket team ball-by-ball.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
When Netflix provides 4 TV channels, a huge range of DAB radio stations, an IPlayer service, an equivalent to BBC Sounds, a 24 hour news service and web based services you can begin to compare them to the BBC. That £159 is amazing value...

I’ve never seen so much shite on Netflix in my life - it’s absolute Jank at the moment in Australia.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Will they be allowed to take advertising revenue from 2027? If so, I expect corporates will be hurling money at them by the truckload in order to sponsor and run ads during Strictly and other gormless shows.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
As if there aren't enough reasons to despise this vile, corrupt, self serving awful government. The BBC is great, terrific value for money and respected the world over. My contempt for them and for anyone who would still vote for them is total.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
And the World Service.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I’ve never seen so much shite on Netflix in my life - it’s absolute Jank at the moment in Australia.

And the BBC isn’t? It’s all vacuous shite at the end of the day, hence the term ‘the idiot box’ never more true than today. No way would I pay £159 a year for it though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Might this be Boris' most loyal minister putting something out there to distract attention from other developments? I think so, but this move will no doubt endear them to the party faithful, but not the electorate.

Things fall apart.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You’re right, I love Netflix Sussex’s commentary of the Albion games coupled with their Albion podcast, coverage of the local non-league teams and the like. Not to mention their commentary during the summer of every county cricket team ball-by-ball.

Meeting sarcasm with sarcasm, I’ve fortunately never found that I needed a licence to listen to BBC radio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here