Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal cheating - should the PL have allowed it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So Arsenal have Xhaka suspended, and have sent two youngsters on the fringes of the first team out on loan when they could have delayed that for a week or two - and now they want a match postponed because they've got a weekened squad. Typical Arsenal entitlement. I understood that emergency postponements in the current situation were to cover squads decimated by Covid, not to cover ordinary injury/suspension situations, and foolishly sending players you actually need at the moment out on loan?

So, should the PL have told them to sling their hook? Anybody out there feel the decision can be justified?

Should the PL in the first place have laid down rules - like AFCON have? I'd have thought it perfectly reasonable to say, if you've got 14 players (including a GK, or a GK on an emergency loan) the game goes ahead. Too much to ask?

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They fielded an under 23 side on Friday. Seems ludicrous. This is when youngsters should be getting a rare opportunity. Instead, they can wriggle out of it on the basis that players don't have 'appropriate' experience - chicken and egg situation. Strange too how it's the biggest clubs who seem to be making the most fuss. If Albion can structure the squad to fulfil fixtures despite injuries, AFCON and COVID it's ridiculous for the 'big 6' to claim it's beyond them.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I hope the Premier League know when all these postponed Premier League games are going to be played. I can see a massive issue when (for example) Arsenal whinge incessantly about fixture congestion in February and March.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Isnt Arsenals fault in the slightest, they did what most clubs would do.

I am at the point where I think unless its a public health risk games should be played.

The PL included AFCON as covid cases it seems.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Fail to see why Arsenal were able to include their AFCON players. They knew they would be unavailable and should therefore not have had these included as being unavailable given that they are not injured or suffering from Covid.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The rules are a mess, ill thought out and far too ambiguous. No surprise clubs are taking the pee.

It constantly amazes me how policy and regulations are always designed like this, probably deliberately. A simple what if process test would highlight issues yet no one ever seems to do this leading to endless amends that themselves never gonfar enough to become watertight. Tragically it’s usually a disaster that moves things on, and even then…

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
The PL as a spectacle is losing what integrity it had left with the application of this rule.

Plenty of clubs taking the piss: Leicester, Newcastle and now Arsenal

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As soon as the PL came up with numbers as a cause for postponement rather than cause everyone was always going to abuse it.

Should have been play no matter what. Stick the U23s in if you need to. However, there's probably issues there around testing, segregation etc.

What a shit show.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If they were contracted to go out on loan Arsenal can’t simply cancel that agreement and say you can have the players in a couple of weeks.
That doesn't matter. They didn't have Covid, so weren't prevented from playing because of Covid. Which bit of not having Covid do you not understand?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here