Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Raleigh's Choppers

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Oh dear, the day has finally come, I knew it was going to happen.
My teef are in a right old state due to all the work I had done 20 years ago needing replacing and a lot more.
I do not have an NHS dentist and I have no chance of getting one, the cost of going private is eye watering for what I need doing.
I am going to pay for a full consultation and examination though so that I have a full report.
I am looking into all options so my question is, has anyone been or know someone that has been abroad to have there teef sorted out either with extraction, fillings, root canals and crowns or full implants.
Turkey keeps cropping up as an option where they do great work at far less cost than England.
I have heard that you can get it all done with accommodation and flights provided in with the cost.
Any experiences or knowledge would be appreciated.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I used to work with a Polish girl who would often fly back home to get dental treatment as even with flights, accommodation etc it still worked out cheaper than here. She had nice teeth so I'm assuming they did pretty good work.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Oh dear, the day has finally come, I knew it was going to happen.
My teef are in a right old state due to all the work I had done 20 years ago needing replacing and a lot more.
I do not have an NHS dentist and I have no chance of getting one, the cost of going private is eye watering for what I need doing.
I am going to pay for a full consultation and examination though so that I have a full report.
I am looking into all options so my question is, has anyone been or know someone that has been abroad to have there teef sorted out either with extraction, fillings, root canals and crowns or full implants.
Turkey keeps cropping up as an option where they do great work at far less cost than England.
I have heard that you can get it all done with accommodation and flights provided in with the cost.
Any experiences or knowledge would be appreciated.

How many of your own teeth remain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I have the same issue. I can buy a brand new decent car for the money I've been quoted. I'm no expert, but I just can't see the costs being justified.

Fortunately I'm not in any pain or anything but something I'm aware I'll have to address at one point. Be interested in the experience of others. Both positive and negative.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
How many of your own teeth remain?

Embarrassing.
I have about 5 teeth actually pulled out over the years.
But I would say that every other tooth either needs minor work or major work.
I have 2 molars that were so heavily filled 20 years ago that the fillings have fallen out along with what tooth was there so that the rest of the tooth is in the gum, they will need surgically removing by cutting the gum and getting them out.
Thankfully my front teeth are not too bad but will need work.
My back teeth are shocking bad and I think beyond repair.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
To expensive in England so I am of to Egypt to have mine sorted .
Do your research,check out your dentist and if happy go ahead.
To have a full crown with straighning is about 4k.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I used to work with a Polish girl who would often fly back home to get dental treatment as even with flights, accommodation etc it still worked out cheaper than here. She had nice teeth so I'm assuming they did pretty good work.

Thank you.
Poland is another country that has been mentioned.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
To expensive in England so I am of to Egypt to have mine sorted .
Do your research,check out your dentist and if happy go ahead.
To have a full crown with straighning is about 4k.

Not considered Egypt or North Africa in general, a good option I think.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
An implant over here about 3.5k
Can get it done in Spain for €1200

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have the same issue. I can buy a brand new decent car for the money I've been quoted. I'm no expert, but I just can't see the costs being justified.

Fortunately I'm not in any pain or anything but something I'm aware I'll have to address at one point. Be interested in the experience of others. Both positive and negative.

I agree, the cost is clearly far too much, even to carry out a straightforward procedure like yanking a tooth out.
I don't expect it to be cheap but I also did not think it would be silly money either.
This has also opened my eyes to the state of NHS dentistry in this country, it is shocking, no NHS dentist in Plymouth is taking new patients.
You can get emergency work done if you are in pain but even that is difficult.
3 to 4 year waiting list!!
But if you have money, straight in, no problem.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Embarrassing.
I have about 5 teeth actually pulled out over the years.
But I would say that every other tooth either needs minor work or major work.
I have 2 molars that were so heavily filled 20 years ago that the fillings have fallen out along with what tooth was there so that the rest of the tooth is in the gum, they will need surgically removing by cutting the gum and getting them out.
Thankfully my front teeth are not too bad but will need work.
My back teeth are shocking bad and I think beyond repair.

Mmm , maybe pull the lot and have false teeth made? How old are you?

Lego-Stand

Nov 6, 2003
Yep I am at that age too ... I have had my bite re-aligned by a fantastic local dentist in Shoreham who I trust implicitly ,so x 2 Bridges replaced, one root canal to save my Upper Right 5 , 3 new implants one new bridge and veneers - £13k (£7k interest free spread over 10 months.) I know that is expensive but I could not travel and let a stranger do this type of work but I guess everyone is different. Good luck Raleigh I hope you get it sorted

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My Dad bought me my first Raleigh Chopper back in about 1970. Yellow in colour we got it second hand and I can still remember the house we purchased it from in Stafford Way, Keymer. £35 I think.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Mmm , maybe pull the lot and have false teeth made? How old are you?

I have considered dentures as an option and dentures have come on in leaps and bounds but I have been told to avoid if you can, they do slip, they can be uncomfortable, you can sneeze at the dinner table and they end up in someone's wine, taking them out each night, Cleaning them and you can end up looking like a horse.
I will be 60 later this year.
What I don't want is to just get the worse ones done but go through the rest of my days with problems which will almost certainly happen, get it all over and done with in one go, implants are great but very expensive so if it has to be dentures then so be it.
I think I am beyond a lot of fillings and crowns, plus at least 3 will have to come out anyway.
A full examination and report should give me the information needed to email any dentist in any country as to the work needed and the cost.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
My Dad bought me my first Raleigh Chopper back in about 1970. Yellow in colour we got it second hand and I can still remember the house we purchased it from in Stafford Way, Keymer. £35 I think.

Don't want to derail the thread but, jealous. My parents said they couldn't afford one when I begged for one about that year too. :drool:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Not had one done but might have had to have a tooth out so did some research - Hungary was the best place to go - only £4K for a whole mouth worth of implants. Do make sure it’s a double trip, anyone offering to do implant and crown in one go is a no no - bone needs time to graft around the implant before crown is added several weeks later.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I have considered dentures as an option and dentures have come on in leaps and bounds but I have been told to avoid if you can, they do slip, they can be uncomfortable, you can sneeze at the dinner table and they end up in someone's wine, taking them out each night, Cleaning them and you can end up looking like a horse.
What I don't want is to just get the worse ones done but go through the rest of my days with problems which will almost certainly happen, get it all over and done with in one go, implants are great but very expensive so if it has to be dentures then so be it.
I think I am beyond a lot of fillings and crowns, plus at least 3 will have to come out anyway.
A full examination and report should give me the information needed to email any dentist in any country as to the work needed and the cost.

My thoughts are the same. My MIL got new private dentures 6 months ago as her old ones were uncomfortable and she still has problems with them.

Both my mum and MIL are late 70s and both say that you should do anything you can to preserve your teeth and not get dentures. They've had them for 20 years or more. Back in the day, yanking teeth was the go to option.

Nowadays it's not the only choice. But the other options are so bloody expensive here.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Well good luck to you, I think if possible the value and self esteem one gets from decent teeth outweighs the cost of a new car and I think it’s worth the expense

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Not had one done but might have had to have a tooth out so did some research - Hungary was the best place to go - only £4K for a whole mouth worth of implants. Do make sure it’s a double trip, anyone offering to do implant and crown in one go is a no no - bone needs time to graft around the implant before crown is added several weeks later.

Blimey. That's about the cost of just 2 in the UK. See that's what I don't get. Hungary cost of living is not one tenth of the UK yet their dental costs are one tenth based on this.

I'm all for people making a decent living, but there's a big difference in making a living and ripping people off.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016

Think of the investment more than a car, clothes etc. you have to use and wear them every single day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here