Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “Don’t call it a Derby!”

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
I heard this said on various bits of coverage before and after the game, so much so it’s becoming more annoying than the A23/M23 derby moniker!

Can’t we just let people call it what they like? When did football fans get so pedantic over such trivial things?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I heard it being called the 'Southern Rail' derby earlier on some YouTube video that jnr was watching. I thought that was better than the A23/M23 derby! :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If applying a road name, it’s the A23 as every proper fan knows. M23 didn’t even exist when this rivalry started yet the goons at Sky etc trot out their schoolboy error every year despite correction. I’ve concluded they’re just stupid. A bit thick.

Also, the media love to bang on about how strange it is when everyone knows others accepted as normal exist over greater distances. And if it’s strange because Sky, BT, BBC Sport always call it that (because they had never heard of until we got promoted which only reflects their ignorance) then how long does it remain strange? I’m puzzled every season, twice a season, the media react as if it’s some fantastical new revelation. But again, if you knew last season, and the season before, and the season before etc, and it’s still a surprise, then surely that’s because the Sports journo’s at said outlets are just, well, a bit stupid?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If applying a road name, it’s the A23 as every proper fan knows. M23 didn’t even exist when this rivalry started yet the goons at Sky etc trot out their schoolboy error every year despite correction. I’ve concluded they’re just stupid. A bit thick.

?

Except this year. Because Sky , eg Jamie Carragher said a fan had told him off, thankfully stopped doing it.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte

Also, the media love to bang on about how strange it is when everyone knows others accepted as normal exist over greater distances. And if it’s strange because Sky, BT, BBC Sport always call it that (because they had never heard of until we got promoted which only reflects their ignorance) then how long does it remain strange? I’m puzzled every season, twice a season, the media react as if it’s some fantastical new revelation. But again, if you knew last season, and the season before, and the season before etc, and it’s still a surprise, then surely that’s because the Sports journo’s at said outlets are just, well, a bit stupid?

Well, Sky journalists would, of course, have no conception that football existed before 1992.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I heard this said on various bits of coverage before and after the game, so much so it’s becoming more annoying than the A23/M23 derby moniker!

Can’t we just let people call it what they like? When did football fans get so pedantic over such trivial things?

Why can't you just let people call it what they like, without getting so pedantic over such trivial things?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

It’s weird. Especially when Sky **** over our ‘South Coast Derby’ against Bournemouth, which is twice as far away. Bizarre.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is it strictly a rivalry rather than a derby? Like Man U v Liverpool?

Call it what you want though - a proper atmosphere for once, plenty of our younger fans now getting that Palace are the scum and if we hadn't (at least) equalized it would have ruined my weekend. Good night out spoiled only by our constant missing of good chances.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I'm baffled by all this.... a derby is normally a label given to a game between local rivals, local or nearest.... so.... given that Crawley dont count, we are left with Palace being the closest, closer than Pompey.

Other 'derbies' dont attract the same levels of confusion and let's face it, derision, despite comparable distances involved.

Norwich v Ipswich
Swansea v Cardiff
Leeds v Sheffield

Plus others I cant readily think of.

It might not be seen as local by them, with Charlton and Millwall... plus of course Wimbledon and any other London club being closer for them... but for us it is a local derby.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm baffled by all this.... a derby is normally a label given to a game between local rivals, local or nearest.... so.... given that Crawley dont count, we are left with Palace being the closest, closer than Pompey.

Other 'derbies' dont attract the same levels of confusion and let's face it, derision, despite comparable distances involved.

Norwich v Ipswich
Swansea v Cardiff
Leeds v Sheffield

It might not be seen as local by them, with Charlton and Millwall... plus of course Wimbledon and any other London club being closer for them... but for us it is a local derby.

Precisely. We can’t help the fact we’re out on a limb and the scum are closest.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
So proud of my 13 year old daughter, watching on telly she said 'I just hate them more every single time we play them and their fans are such annoying a*** holes!'.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Old Perm Derby

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not even the etymology gives a clear definition. According to one theory, a derby should be between teams playing in the same city. According to another it needs to happen in... Derby. For almost 200 years it has been used to describe rivalries in a more general sense. In some countries they are more picky - in Holland for example the main rivalry (Ajax vs Feyenoord) is almost always referred to as De Klassieker while eg Feyenoord vs Sparta or Excelsior is the "Rotterdam derby". Similar in Spain where Real Madrid vs Barca is "El Classico" while Atletico vs Real is "El Derbi". In England the definition appears to be more loose, no real right or wrong.

In Sweden we sometimes call teams from Norrland playing eachother a "Norrlandsderby".. despite the region of Norrland being bigger than the whole UK!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Not a fan of “El Gatwicko” then [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

Spot on. What I find bizarre is how just about every fan I have ever met knows about the Albion v Palace rivalry.

In fact whenever I meet someone new through my work and we talk about football, when it’s revealed I’m an Albion fan, invariably the other person will mention Palace.

But wow you mention it to a sports journo and it’s like someone revealing Northwich Victoria v Boca Juniors as one of the world’s leading rivalries.

Baffling.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel

Norwich v Ipswich
Swansea v Cardiff
Leeds v Sheffield

This, but I think it’s also about context. Norwich and Ipswich are competing for East Anglia, Cardiff and Swansea is pretty much the best team in Wales, whilst even Leeds and Sheffield is all about the rivalry for South Yorkshire, in an area saturated with clubs. Brighton and Palace aren’t really competing for anything other than pride. I think it’s justifiable considering we don’t have much else in terms of local competition, but also that Brighton and London share a particularly unique relationship culturally and historically.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If it's not going to be called a Derby, what will we call being miles ahead with quarter of the season to go and then plummeting to the ignominy of a play off defeat

'Doing a Derby' just rolls of the tongue :shrug:

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
Why can't you just let people call it what they like, without getting so pedantic over such trivial things?

I’m Not complaining about people calling it a rivalry rather than a derby etc. it’s the it’s not a derby thing that annoys me, the pedantic and arrogant nature of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here