Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tonight’s tactics

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I don’t know if was just me and those next to me but it felt (especially in the first half) that we were playing a much more direct game with balls over the top- maybe a new tactic specifically to work on their weaknesses?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I don’t know if was just me and those next to me but it felt (especially in the first half) that we were playing a much more direct game with balls over the top- maybe a new tactic specifically to work on their weaknesses?

They did play a high line and like to press but didn’t have the numbers. Our numbered 4v3 at the back and we had the runners from deeper all the time going past there midfield line and CBs. They seemed a more coherent unit earlier in the season tbh in terms of knowing what they were doing.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I agree, we got it absolutely right first half. Closed them down and gave them no space to run into.
More direct and played balls over the top to counter their high line. If we'd have led at half time we'd have gone onto win. Frustrating that we didn't convert the penalty, but overall a great, dominant performance.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
The long ball rope a dope in the first half was interesting. Very apparent that the tactic wasn’t actually to win the first ball, but to force palace to head it back into the midfield with that being a trigger for a mass press. It worked very well in the opening 25 mins or so, we seemed to pick up nearly every second ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
They changed their tic tacs at HT. First half Butland kicked it long and we won most of the 2nd and 3rd balls. They defended a high line where our runners could get in behind.

Second half they played it out from the back and defended deeper.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They changed their tic tacs at HT. First half Butland kicked it long and we won most of the 2nd and 3rd balls. They defended a high line where our runners could get in behind.

Second half they played it out from the back and defended deeper.

Loved that last bit, they were hopeless at playing out from the back in the last 25 minutes. Boxed in by our players pressing together. Lots of Butland and defenders making panicky out balls straight out of play.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The four central midfielders worked a treat first half. We seemed to win every 50/50 and pick up every second ball.

Losing Lallana was a blow, he was superb tonight. The introduction of Lamptey and a move to 5-3-2 meant our midfield dominance wasn’t quite there.

The change back to 4-4-2 was key in us getting the draw for me.

Moder, Cucurella & Lallana before his injury were excellent. It was a very good performance overall.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Would have worked better with someone with more pace than Gross, given the space that Gross found himself in frequently in the first half, but currently Lamptey is clearly not able to play two full 90 minutes in a week.
But shows the sign of a good manager, sees a weakness and adapts to try and exploit that weakness, rather than having no Plan B,C...

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whilst obviously he scored we seemed to keep Gallagher at bay for most of the match.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whilst obviously he scored we seemed to keep Gallagher at bay for most of the match.

And yet all the post match coverage is about him. (I say that as someone who is annoyed by the focus rather than putting it forward to suggest you're wrong)

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
And yet all the post match coverage is about him. (I say that as someone who is annoyed by the focus rather than putting it forward to suggest you're wrong)

I also thought apart from the goal we did a relatively good job on keeping him quiet Tbf I’ve not seen media coverage But he currently is their darling
Would I like him playing for us possibly? But he’s still a niggly Twunt

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
I noticed Moder also doing the same on Albino. Hughes can run games with his passing, Moder ruined that, whilst be ever positive and creative for us, to the very end.

Excellent performance.

Yes, Moder is really starting to look the part now and was unlucky not to score tonight. I thought Mac shaded it as Moder still gives the ball away on occasion, but midfield is an area where we have an embarrassment of riches, and Bissouma's eventual departure doesn't fill me with quite so much dread now.

Jimmy Grimble

There’s very little talk of it but the game changing moment was Lallana going off. He was bossing the midfield and dictating our play.

I do worry that people don’t understand how vital he is to this team.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here