Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The flare and the penalty

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Yes Gross did a poor penalty, but there's a flare just been thrown at you, that's still going off a few meters from the goal.

How has the ref concluded everything is fine, and safe, and to play on? :mad:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
No excuses, a shit penalty. He never looked like scoring, zero conviction. He was poor in open play too, not a good night or few months for Gross.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Just out of interest, does anyone have the stats to hand of our penalty record for the last few seasons, (say since Muzza retired)? Include league, cup games and penalty shoots outs.

In my mind it feels like we get fewer than half. I'm sure that isn't the case, but it seems like we get way fewer than average

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Bad penalty, but firstly the keeper should be booked for kicking the ball into the east stand and then walking slowly to take a drink behind the goal. Then several palace players surround the ref in front of the goal, should be booked. then the flare. I have sympathy for Gross, it takes guts to take penalties at the best of times but in those circumstances especially so.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I genuinely feel for any fans with respiratory conditions, especially kids. It’s happening almost every match these days, and no one ever seems to get nicked. Meanwhile someone swears at the ref and a SWAT team descends from the standby helicopters.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yes Gross did a poor penalty, but there's a flare just been thrown at you, that's still going off a few meters from the goal.

How has the ref concluded everything is fine, and safe, and to play on? :mad:

The referee had a nightmare 5 minutes - missed the foul on Maupay for the penalty, failed to book Gallagher for the said foul, let the penalty be taken with the flare going off nearby, then missing the foul for our disallowed goal.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
My question is why Gross? We've had Maupay, Trossard and MacAllister take them this season and score.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Disappointed Maupay didn’t grab the ball and insist on taking it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Gross' last penalty was skied over the bar, at West Brom. I've never been confident when he takes a penalty, and I am afraid I expected him to miss as soon as he stepped up.

Surely Mac Allister should have taken it

Or Maupay.

Or Trossard.

Or Cucurella.

Or Moder.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The referee had a nightmare 5 minutes - missed the foul on Maupay for the penalty, failed to book Gallagher for the said foul, let the penalty be taken with the flare going off nearby, then missing the foul for our disallowed goal.

Unless you’re talking about a different incident, the foul was Hughes on Veltman. Headlock.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Disappointed Maupay didn’t grab the ball and insist on taking it.

No chance to me that the sign of a piss poor club.

Poor planning.
Poor management.
Poor captaincy
Poor team spirit.

Wrongly or wrongly Groß was the designated penalty taker.

Who was it that almost came to blows by doing what you say - Everton?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Dont know if the flare had much to do with it.

He looked nervous. I probably would have been as well.

At least put your foot through the bloody thing though. Put your foot through it and miss, fair enough. Miss the kind of penalty he took and you just look fecking ridiculous. Such a shit choice penalty especially considering the circumstances. Didn't even dink it down the middle

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shocking penalty you could say Gross.......

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Unless you’re talking about a different incident, the foul was Hughes on Veltman. Headlock.

Yes, you are correct and in which case a booking for Hughes might have contributed to a later red. My point about the referee’s nightmare spell still stands

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here