Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Saudi is a special case - the track mods are almost entirely for safety reasons. In particular the line of sight changes - they found that some areas the line of sight was so short that avoiding incidents would have been impossible. They got lucky there was no big multi-car incident last time around.

I don't disagree, but slowing down is always an option.
they should buld a few walls instead of run offs as well.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Saudi is a special case - the track mods are almost entirely for safety reasons. In particular the line of sight changes - they found that some areas the line of sight was so short that avoiding incidents would have been impossible. They got lucky there was no big multi-car incident last time around.

Watched a lap from that camera above the driver's head during that weekend and honestly it was ****ing scary sat on my sofa in Sussex. I know you need to put the danger out of your mind to even get into an F1 car and drive it around but the stones on anyone driving fast round there must be incredible.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Well that Red Bull launch yesterday was a complete and utter waste of time.

- Livery. Same old livery as they always have. Nothing new there.

- Car. :yawn: . Just a mildly updated version of the FIA show car. There will be literally none of the car they showed yesterday on the track in Barcelona, let alone the Bahrain test days and race.

So Red Bull have taken "hide what you've got until the last minute" to the furthest extreme we've ever seen in F1.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
How much gamesmanship do you reckon goes into these launches? i.e. do they potentially have false parts they put on just for the launch that are materially different to the parts they actually intend to test in March just to throw the opposition a curve ball.

Red Bull - not just false parts, but an entirely false car. They've launched a livery only (and there's no surprises there!)

So far we've got:

Haas - computer renders only, of an early development iteration. Their actual car will be mildly different. The renders were also clearly incomplete - no DRS for example.

Red Bull - physical car, but it's clearly not their real car. Not even an early development version - it's just a mildly tweaked version of the FIA show car.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Finally - a real 2022 car! Thank you, Aston Martin.

As expected, BWT is gone. AMR revert to their green-with-fluoro-yellow highlights for the livery. They've tweaked the shade of green a bit as well, but realistically there's no surprises in the livery.

In terms of the car itself - I mentioned previously the feeling was that there would be two competing design philosophies. A riskier-but-higher-potential route (the Haas renders follow that route - short-wide sidepods that taper rapidly to a narrow rear end), and a safer-but-lower-potential route which the Aston Martin appears to follow. Sidepods are narrower than the Haas, but longer, and deeply undercut.

Xgs10A1.jpg

Edit to add:

Nice top-down comparison of the AMR and Haas and the competing philosophies:

[tweet]1491806692194983936[/tweet]

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Well that Red Bull launch yesterday was a complete and utter waste of time.

- Livery. Same old livery as they always have. Nothing new there.

- Car. :yawn: . Just a mildly updated version of the FIA show car. There will be literally none of the car they showed yesterday on the track in Barcelona, let alone the Bahrain test days and race.

So Red Bull have taken "hide what you've got until the last minute" to the furthest extreme we've ever seen in F1.

Why not???

Potter does.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
McLaren launch later ... but while we wait, Aston Martin have treated us to some video of a 2022 car actually being driven (slowly) on a race track. I have to say ... I like the new looks on this first viewing.

[tweet]1492154073759555584[/tweet]

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Yep, recycled old news presented as new news. That audio was public within days of the race last year.

It looks like the results of the investigation are due today. Not sure how much will be public today, but there's been plenty of talk that Masi will either be replaced, or the race director role watered down significantly - potentially split into three separate roles in order to reduce the pressure on one individual. Masi could then (with teams' approval) either stay as Race Director but with much more limited powers, or moved on from Race Director into a new role that covers some of what he used to do (such as "Safety Delegate").

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Interesting article here:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mercedes-and-red-bulls-contrasting-handling-of-masi-is-key/

Goes into the differing ways of communicating with Masi of the RBR and Merc people and analysis of how RBR's communications ended up taking priority. Interesting conclusions, that suggest that if the roles were reversed (ie Wheatley at Merc and Meadows at RBR) then Masi most likely would have made a decision in Merc's favour. No conscious bias at play, in terms of favouring one team over another, but rather a decision was made in the heat of the moment that was biased in favour of the team that communicated with him in the "right" way.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Or not. Apparently some discussion took place, but details of their findings won't be announced for another few days. FIA has indicated that the announcement will include details of "structural changes" and an "action plan", and that the delay is so that they can incorporate feedback they received today. Many (eg Sky Sports) are now assuming this means that Masi will be moved out of the Race Director role; most likely redeployed to a new Safety role that takes on some of the responsibilities the Race Director currently holds that aren't directly related to race day (so for eg assessing new circuit safety, which Masi had to fly out to Saudi for a few times last year).

What has come out of today, however, are a couple of interesting announcements:

1. FIA's response to the farce at Spa last season, where half points were awarded on the basis of running 2 laps behind the safety car with zero actual racing taking place.

From this season onwards, the rules for awarding points for incomplete races have been updated. Looks sensible to me.

- Race leader must complete at least two racing laps with no safety car (of any sort - even a virtual SC blocks completion of the laps) before any points are awarded.
- New 4 tier structure for awarding points for incomplete races (click my link above for the full details). Looks very sensible, introducing a sliding scale of points awards depending on how much of the race is completed.

2. Confirmation that there will only be 3 sprint races this season (they had proposed 6).

- Imola, Austria, and Interlagos
- Top 8 finishers will score points this year (8, 7, 6, etc)
- The record books will show "Pole Position" as being won by the fastest driver in Friday qually (last season it was whoever won the sprint race). Sprint race will still determine the actual grid for race day.

Alpha Tauri launched their car. After initial fears that the 2022 cars might all look very similar, what we're now seeing is some quite significant differences between teams. There's now four very different sets of sidepod design, McLaren taking a unique approach in suspension setup, differences in nose tip / front wing design.

(Edit: oof, sorry, that image is massive here...)

w6h2l554fsh81.jpg

Williams car launch tomorrow. Expecting an entirely new livery now - after today's announcement that they've signed up Duracell.

Similarly, Alpine have confirmed they've snapped up BWT and their livery will incorporate some pink.

D

Deleted member 2719

I can't believe you guys are not bored of still talking about last years news.
Come on guys let's keep it F1 2022 and the future not the past, it's been done to death, hasn't it.

Looking forward to wheel to wheel action again, let's hope so.:eek:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Loved Vettels comments about the way last season ended

Sebastian Vettel says the controversy over last year's title-decider shows Formula 1 needs to focus on sport rather than entertainment.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Now confirmed that the findings of the investigation will NOT be released at all. Just the practicalities of any new rule changes etc.

So having been accused of “marking their own homework” after the Abu Dhabi farce, this time it seems they’re not even going to hand their homework in.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...habi-grand-prix-max-verstappen-lewis-hamilton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Or not. Apparently some discussion took place, but details of their findings won't be announced for another few days. FIA has indicated that the announcement will include details of "structural changes" and an "action plan", and that the delay is so that they can incorporate feedback they received today. Many (eg Sky Sports) are now assuming this means that Masi will be moved out of the Race Director role; most likely redeployed to a new Safety role that takes on some of the responsibilities the Race Director currently holds that aren't directly related to race day (so for eg assessing new circuit safety, which Masi had to fly out to Saudi for a few times last year).

What has come out of today, however, are a couple of interesting announcements:

1. FIA's response to the farce at Spa last season, where half points were awarded on the basis of running 2 laps behind the safety car with zero actual racing taking place.

From this season onwards, the rules for awarding points for incomplete races have been updated. Looks sensible to me.

- Race leader must complete at least two racing laps with no safety car (of any sort - even a virtual SC blocks completion of the laps) before any points are awarded.
- New 4 tier structure for awarding points for incomplete races (click my link above for the full details). Looks very sensible, introducing a sliding scale of points awards depending on how much of the race is completed.

2. Confirmation that there will only be 3 sprint races this season (they had proposed 6).

- Imola, Austria, and Interlagos
- Top 8 finishers will score points this year (8, 7, 6, etc)
- The record books will show "Pole Position" as being won by the fastest driver in Friday qually (last season it was whoever won the sprint race). Sprint race will still determine the actual grid for race day.

Alpha Tauri launched their car. After initial fears that the 2022 cars might all look very similar, what we're now seeing is some quite significant differences between teams. There's now four very different sets of sidepod design, McLaren taking a unique approach in suspension setup, differences in nose tip / front wing design.

Williams car launch tomorrow. Expecting an entirely new livery now - after today's announcement that they've signed up Duracell.

Similarly, Alpine have confirmed they've snapped up BWT and their livery will incorporate some pink.

You've been giving some brilliantly detailed updates [MENTION=33374]Audax[/MENTION]. I really feel you should be publishing your own blog as your posts are far better than most of the F1 sites out there.

Really good update too on how the investigation will impact the 2022 season - very much relevant news!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Now confirmed that the findings of the investigation will NOT be released at all. Just the practicalities of any new rule changes etc.

So having been accused of “marking their own homework” after the Abu Dhabi farce, this time it seems they’re not even going to hand their homework in.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...habi-grand-prix-max-verstappen-lewis-hamilton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who’d have thunk it, the FIA closing ranks. Stinks, if true and does absolutely nothing for their credibility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here