Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This season I shall be mostly watching proper car racing.

hopefully whilst driving one as well.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The new Haas looks great

Clown-Car-Clarabelle-featured.png

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is unlikely to end well imo. Lewis hasn’t said a word since the end of the season and is apparently waiting for the outcome into the last race manipulation enquiry. FIA say it won’t be announced until a few days before the season starts.

So Mercedes and Hamilton have a problem. If Lewis doesn’t back down and quits on the eve of the season, who drives the Merc in his place?

FIA really not covering themselves in glory here to this Lewis and F1 fan. I guess the Max fans will be delighted to see the back of Hamilton and quite possibly so will the FIA, maybe that is what the hope is :shrug:

It was a cluster**** and it should not have been left to drag on so long. I was very suspicious of the FIA when Mosley was a Ferrari apologist, this lot seem no better. How has Masi still got a job?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
This is unlikely to end well imo. Lewis hasn’t said a word since the end of the season and is apparently waiting for the outcome into the last race manipulation enquiry. FIA say it won’t be announced until a few days before the season starts.

Slight correction on this: the FIA won't announce the outcome in a public venue until shortly before the season starts, when the final vote on any resulting rule changes would take place. However: the report itself is due to be completed, and shared privately, in early February (I've seen the 3rd Feb quoted). If Lewis is still silent by mid Feb, expect the rumours to start swirling.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

So Mercedes and Hamilton have a problem. If Lewis doesn’t back down and quits on the eve of the season, who drives the Merc in his place?

FIA really not covering themselves in glory here to this Lewis and F1 fan. I guess the Max fans will be delighted to see the back of Hamilton and quite possibly so will the FIA, maybe that is what the hope is :shrug:

It was a cluster**** and it should not have been left to drag on so long. I was very suspicious of the FIA when Mosley was a Ferrari apologist, this lot seem no better. How has Masi still got a job?

The FiA are a self serving cluster **** at most levels. I know someone who works there in Switzerland and have been consulted and involved with certain aspects of historics, a different field as it doesn't attract quite the same budgets, but still a bit special. . . It was sold as the holy grail for historics, but seems to have attraced the worst elements, to the point slef regulating club events are more popular and more pragmatic with acceptable preparation and regulation.

The race officials are also superb, qualified fair and reasonable, can you imagine!

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Lewis throwing his toys out is nothing new, he has made it his trade mark, but some choose to ignore it and others will not have seen it.
Let's just hope it's a competitive season between two or preferably 3/4 teams and keep joe public interested in F1.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lewis throwing his toys out is nothing new, he has made it his trade mark, but some choose to ignore it and others will not have seen it.
Let's just hope it's a competitive season between two or preferably 3/4 teams and keep joe public interested in F1.

Never seen anyone chuck their toys whilst being cheated by saying NOTHING, having congratulated the undeserving winner and his father

Wasting my time because you will carry on your agenda

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Lewis is a lot better than he was. Give him his due: he learned from the "is it because I'm black" incident at Monaco and has learned to deal with setbacks better. He's also a lot better at picking his fights, and he's channelled his feelings re: race equality into far better avenues than he did back then.

His silence is telling, I think. He's not thrown his toys out: he's kept himself to himself. When he does break his silence on the matter, I'm confident that what he says will have been carefully thought through and very deliberate. The very opposite of "throwing his toys out of the pram" (something far more relevant to Verstappen these days).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Never seen anyone chuck their toys whilst being cheated by saying NOTHING, having congratulated the undeserving winner at his father

Wasting my time because you will carry on your agenda

If Lewis has chucked his toys out, what on earth is the analogy for Senna when they effectively gifted Prost the title I wonder!?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Lewis is a lot better than he was. Give him his due: he learned from the "is it because I'm black" incident at Monaco and has learned to deal with setbacks better. He's also a lot better at picking his fights, and he's channelled his feelings re: race equality into far better avenues than he did back then.

His silence is telling, I think. He's not thrown his toys out: he's kept himself to himself. When he does break his silence on the matter, I'm confident that what he says will have been carefully thought through and very deliberate. The very opposite of "throwing his toys out of the pram" (something far more relevant to Verstappen these days).

Spot on

I kind of hope there's a massive backlash.

The FiA and F1 organ/business don't deserve what they have.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Can anyone tell me why F1 cars keep changing design slightly every year? Surely they've found the optimum aerodynamic shape by now?

Rule changes over the last 10-15 years have predominately intended to slow the cars down.
They now run 1.5 litre V6 power-units but with all the added technology [hybrid stuff] the cars still lap faster than F1 cars did 3-5 years ago.

Great documentary on aerodynamics on F1 cars from a few years back about removing the "skirt" on a car [makes the car hug the road tighter = faster cornering]
They also banned active suspension and made the tyre width smaller.
This year we go from 13 inch wheels to 18 inch - should help with tyre wear / life but Pirelli will just make tyres with softer compounds = go faster.
Front wings are also in for a rule change in 2022 in an effort to allow the cars to follow in the "dirty air" without losing too much down-force = more overtaking [hopefully]

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Rule changes over the last 10-15 years have predominately intended to slow the cars down.
They now run 1.5 litre V6 power-units but with all the added technology [hybrid stuff] the cars still lap faster than F1 cars did 3-5 years ago.

Great documentary on aerodynamics on F1 cars from a few years back about removing the "skirt" on a car [makes the car hug the road tighter = faster cornering]
They also banned active suspension and made the tyre width smaller.
This year we go from 14 inch wheels to 17 inch - should help with tyre wear / life but Pirelli will just make tyres with softer compounds = go faster.
Front wings are also in for a rule change in 2022 in an effort to allow the cars to follow in the "dirty air" without losing too much down-force = more overtaking [hopefully]

Aero rule changes are far more than just front wings. Venturi tunnels are back - no more flat floor

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm not sure how doing or saying nothing constitutes throwing your toys out of the pram, but I'm quite sure that if he'd said something instead you'd have made a pathetic attempt to pull it apart on here.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not sure how doing or saying nothing constitutes throwing your toys out of the pram, but I'm quite sure that if he'd said something instead you'd have made a pathetic attempt to pull it apart on here.

That a poster who had never posted on an F1 thread until after June 2020 when LH first hit the headlines supporting the BLM protests, then suddenly they're the biggest F1 fan with friends working in the pits and for the teams with all the insider info. and they suddenly have an axe to grind?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Updated list for car launches, with a couple more dates announced:

New Car Launches

10 February - Aston Martin
11 February - McLaren
14 February - Alpha Tauri
17 February - Ferrari
18 February - Mercedes
21 February - Alpine
TBA - Alfa Romeo
TBA - Haas
TBA - Red Bull
TBA - Williams

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Apparently Alfa Romeo full launch will be *after* the Barcelona test, but they will have the car at Barcelona in a special test-only livery.

[tweet]1488809334452723712[/tweet]

Pre-Season Schedule

11 February - McLaren
17 February - Ferrari
18 February - Mercedes
21 February - Alpine
23-25 February - Barcelona test days
27 February - Alfa Romeo
TBA - Haas
TBA - Red Bull
TBA - Williams
10-12 March - Bahrain test days
18-20 March - FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX 2022

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Red Bull want to be first at everything, apparently. They've set their car launch for 9th February, which means we're now less than a week away from getting our first look at a 2022 car. OK, it won't be definitive (they'll all bring upgrade packages to both testing and the Bahrain race that won't be seen in the car launches), but should still be very interesting for those of us who just can't get enough of F1.

Updated calendar:

Pre-Season Schedule

9 February - Red Bull
11 February - McLaren
17 February - Ferrari
18 February - Mercedes
21 February - Alpine
27 February - Alfa Romeo
TBA - Haas
TBA - Williams

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Red Bull want to be first at everything, apparently. They've set their car launch for 9th February, which means we're now less than a week away from getting our first look at a 2022 car. OK, it won't be definitive (they'll all bring upgrade packages to both testing and the Bahrain race that won't be seen in the car launches), but should still be very interesting for those of us who just can't get enough of F1.

Updated calendar:

Pre-Season Schedule

9 February - Red Bull
11 February - McLaren
17 February - Ferrari
18 February - Mercedes
21 February - Alpine
27 February - Alfa Romeo
TBA - Haas
TBA - Williams

How much gamesmanship do you reckon goes into these launches? i.e. do they potentially have false parts they put on just for the launch that are materially different to the parts they actually intend to test in March just to throw the opposition a curve ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here