Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Let's hope he's not going to give them a bum steer, else it could back to bite them in the arse

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Let's hope he's not going to give them a bum steer, else it could back to bite them in the arse

With Chris Crevice as his right hand man I'm sure they'll be a squeakey clean, not sure they'll wipe out the opposition but they'll have Aston Shit shape in no time :rolleyes:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Can anyone tell me why F1 cars keep changing design slightly every year? Surely they've found the optimum aerodynamic shape by now?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Can anyone tell me why F1 cars keep changing design slightly every year? Surely they've found the optimum aerodynamic shape by now?

self perpetuating industry full of dick strokers

The real skill is in selling it to people with money to burn.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
For the oldies:
38BC099E-BB7B-47A5-921F-B88430843BD7.jpeg

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley

Expect some interesting changes this year due to new rules, although overall the shape will look the same. Most obvious change will be to the tyres, with a move from 13" to 18". The sidewall will have less depth, so will look more like a normal car road tyre than the balloons before.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Mostly because the rules change slightly every year (much bigger change for 2022), and even slight changes in the rules also change the optimum aero shape. You've also got competing ideas of what is "optimum" across the teams. Because of the constant rules revisions, I don't think they've ever actually found the genuine optimum.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
You've also got competing ideas of what is "optimum" across the teams.

But the optimum aerodynamic shape can't be based on ideas, it must be based on science so they must all have the same shape by now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The rules generally seem to fight against optimum aerodynamics because the governing body seeks to keep the racing safe, therefore limiting overall speed through design rules, and setting rules to encourage overtaking where aerodynamics doesn't impede the faster car behind - so de-optimising if you like.

The cars get faster under a set of rules year on year, so the rules change in essence to slow them down or reset things a bit and try to level the playing field. It's not about making them faster or more optimum.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
But the optimum aerodynamic shape can't be based on ideas, it must be based on science so they must all have the same shape by now.

The same general shape, yes - but that's also as a result of teams having to stay within the bounds of the rules, which tightly define the general shape (and the 2022 rules are changing that shape). But F1 (even in the upper-surface aero-dominant period now come to an end) is not all about aero. It's also about mechanical grip, suspension, braking performance, etc. Each team comes up with its own compromises.

Over the last period of more-or-less rules stability, there were two competing philosophies: the "Mercedes" approach with a longer wheel base and lower rear ride height, and then the "Red Bull" approach that had a shorter wheel base and higher rear ride height. It doesn't sounds like much, but over a lap each philosophy had it's own strengths and weaknesses. With Merc and RB being relatively equal for most of last season, it very much became a case of "which philosophy works best on the track being raced on this weekend".

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The start of the season (for me and others who aren't just race watchers) is now fast approaching, with less than a month now until the first test days and even less than that until the first new cars are revealed.

The current timeline:

Test Days

23-25 February - Barcelona
10-12 March - Bahrain

New Car Launches

10 February - Aston Martin
11 February - McLaren
17 February - Ferrari
18 February - Mercedes
TBA - Alfa Romeo
TBA - Alpha Tauri
TBA - Alpine
TBA - Haas
TBA - Red Bull
TBA - Williams

How likely are we to see new liveries?

Alpine - expect to see something different with BWT hotly tipped to be switching to Alpine from Aston Martin.

Aston Martin - with the expected exit of BWT, the pink flashes will disappear. They've also stated they'll be using a different shade of green, as the one they used last year didn't work well on TV. Expect the pink flashes to be replaced by neon yellow. Maybe they'll bring in a lot more of the yellow, as they did at Le Mans in the GT.

McLaren - not expecting much change, however it's likely they'll run at least one special livery during the season.

Ferrari - as always, it'll be tweaked but it'll be dominantly red. The horrible green Mission Winnow logo will be gone, however. No word yet on whether Phillip Morris will attempt some other underhand route to putting one of their brands on the livery.

Red Bull - might get a special testing livery, but come race day it'll be more of the same.

Alpha Tauri - see Red Bull.

Mercedes - might depend on whether Lewis stays or goes. If he stays, I'm expecting something similar to last year. If he goes, they may revert to the silver.

Alfa Romeo - I'm expecting very little change beyond some new logos courtesy of Zhou's sponsors.

Williams - This is my pick for a left-field revamp, whether sponsor-driven (Albon or Latifi sponsors) or simply because they feel like it. Maybe bring in more of the yellow-orange.

Haas - It'll change, I suspect, but will still be more of the same retaining the colours of the Russian flag.

What else still needs to be resolved?

1. The FIA review into what happened at Abu Dhabi. The expectation is that at a minimum, the safety cars rules will be tightened. There's been calls for stewards to be permanent and attend all races, to help with consistency (not expecting that to happen, as much as it's a jolly good idea). Masi may lose his position, but if he stays expect his role to be tightened up and for him to be protected from in-race "conversations" with team principals. While we won't see it officially until just before the season starts, the finished review is due out 3rd Feb, which matters for the next item...

2. Lewis Hamilton. Does he carry on or retire at the 11th hour, leaving Mercedes scrambling to find a driver? Given there's not been much in the way of rumours about potential replacements I suspect he stays, but my guess at the moment is that he's not going to make a final decision until he sees what comes out of that Abu Dhabi review.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't think Lewis will retire but if he does i can see Mercedes making an attempt to grab Lando Norris as a partner for George Russell. Both are exceptional drivers

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think Lewis will retire but if he does i can see Mercedes making an attempt to grab Lando Norris as a partner for George Russell. Both are exceptional drivers

Don't forget Mercedes have quite a big Formula E presence, wouldn't be that surprised if they just switched Nyck de Vries who has tested in the F1 car or Stoffel Vandoorne who has F1 experience from their Formula E to F1.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I think, if Lewis was to retire, the most obvious option for Mercedes is to pull Bottas back from Alfa. The question will be whether or not Bottas is actually interested in going back.

There's been talk that Vettel might be an option as well. De Vries (more likely than Stoffel) is also a possibility, but I suspect Mercedes will want experience in that second car. I think, as much as I agree Lando would be a good option, I think McLaren would fight hard to keep him - much more likely they'd be able to extract Ricciardo if they went down that route.

Another possibility is grabbing Ocon (or Alonso) from Alpine. Alpine may even be open to letting one of their drivers go, as it gives them the chance to put Piastri in a seat. Ocon the more likely, as a former Mercedes junior.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here