Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Self Assessment / Nest Pension

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Morning,

Hopefully someone is able to help.

Something that should be simple seems to be made hard by both the self assessment website and the Nest website not providing a clear working example.

I'm entitled to claim back additional tax relief on my nest pension, great!

What isn't clear is the amount I use for self assessment.

The Nest website provides a less than clear example as below (this is their example not representative of my much lower contributions)-

Nest Tax Relief.png

Why is the employer contributions mentioned at all? Are they relevant for my SA return?

In the example calculation (third from last bullet point) is the tax relief value relevant, if so, is it added or taken away.

Hopefully this is a simple one.

Thanks

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I have absolutely no idea - but I'll bump it for you.
Perhaps one of the many super-rich plumbers can ask their personal tax gurus for you :)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If the pension fund was paid in to under salary sacrifice [deduction before PAYE calcs] you will have already received tax relief.
You can't then claim it again.
My understanding is that you can only claim tax relief via SA if you pension payment contribution was made via monies that had already been taxed via PAYE.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
if you pay higher rate tax on SA you can claim back 20% as only 20% will have been given as tax relief, though this is only if not paid into pension via your work payroll, if done via payroll you will have had all 40% tax relief already

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
if you pay higher rate tax on SA you can claim back 20% as only 20% will have been given as tax relief, though this is only if not paid into pension via your work payroll, if done via payroll you will have had all 40% tax relief already
No. Pension provider will claim a 20% credit on your behalf, which goes into your pot. Higher rate tax payers need to claim the additional 20% tax credit via self assessment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here