Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crystal Palace - worth a visit?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
It was, l'd love to have seen it actually, a magnificent building by all accounts.

I only recently found out that it was actually built in Hyde Park originally for the Great Exhibition and only later moved south of the river.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Oh the subway... yes definitely worth a visit. The collection of ad-hoc cow sheds down the road at Selhurst...not so much

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As a kid I lived not far from there; it was universally known as the gluesniffers tunnel by the local kids and was terrifying as local punks (showing my age here) used to sniff glue there and get off their heads. Us young uns would dare each other to go and run through.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
My grandad put my mum on his shoulders to watch the glow in the sky, they lived on Helix road in Brixton at the time.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"The Crystal Palace was destroyed by fire in November 1936"...

Both my paternal grandparents remembered watching it from two different vantage points before they had met

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My grandad put my mum on his shoulders to watch the glow in the sky, they lived on Helix road in Brixton at the time.

My Dad (from Thornton Heath) also remembered being taken outside to see the glow of the fire. The tower apparently was all that survived and that was demolished at the start of WW2 as it was deemed to be too much of useful landmark for the Luftwaffe.

Coming from that neck of the woods I always liked going to the park as a boy, especially to see the dinosaurs and play in the maze. You can still see the ruins of the Palace foundations, and my Dad always said how magnificent it was. There seem to be very few photographs of it though, I think I've only found about half a dozen when I've searched before.

Anyway, good news about this restoration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here