Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] LFT 24 hours before travel to France.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Having seen that the French have now relaxed the rules when going to France re; Covid, I am struggling to find information as to where I can get a LFT in the UK 24 hours before travelling on the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry.

I live in France but need to get back to the UK, ASAP ( preferably tomorrow or Saturday ) to sort some issues. I want to return to France on Wednesday morning ( 19th January...after the Chelsea game ) on the 10.00am ferry from Newhaven.

I don't know exactly what the French need and where to get it from.....and of course the cost.

Any solid information on this matter would be much appreciated....thankyou.

PS: I am fully vaccinated and the booster etc

Stumpy Tim

Having seen that the French have now relaxed the rules when going to France re; Covid, I am struggling to find information as to where I can get a LFT in the UK 24 hours before travelling on the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry.

I live in France but need to get back to the UK, ASAP ( preferably tomorrow or Saturday ) to sort some issues. I want to return to France on Wednesday morning ( 19th January...after the Chelsea game ) on the 10.00am ferry from Newhaven.

I don't know exactly what the French need and where to get it from.....and of course the cost.

I believe https://www.qured.com/ do this. They'll send you the box, you do it yourself and email in the results (with photo proof) and then send you the result via email very quickly. I've used them before and they're very good

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Can't you collect from a chemist and do yourself or do you need to do an attended test?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

LFT is the one you do yourself and you can report any result you like with no checks. Just collect from a chemist or arrange for a friend/relative in the UK to order online. Easy and quick and completely meaningless.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't know the deal for France, but for the US the LFT has to be supervised, although this can be via video.

You get mailed the test and have a fixed appointment time to do a video call with a testing firm rep who oversees your test, veifies the negative and arranges for prood to be supplied back to you.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Self-tests are not accepted for border crossings but are accepted for the "health pass to enter establishments once in France.
Install Re-open EU app on your phone for up-to-date rules.

Edit: To be clear, if you do the test yourself it must be supervised over a video call by a health professional who will confirm the result and issue the document. If the document says "self test" on it the French border control will reject it. I am told that Boots do LFT tests in-store and issue the required documentation.. It will probably cost around 25 quid.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
LFT is the one you do yourself and you can report any result you like with no checks. Just collect from a chemist or arrange for a friend/relative in the UK to order online. Easy and quick and completely meaningless.

LFT is the lateral flow test which you can do yourself or as a supervised test. DIY is not accepted by the French border control.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't know the deal for France, but for the US the LFT has to be supervised, although this can be via video.

You get mailed the test and have a fixed appointment time to do a video call with a testing firm rep who oversees your test, veifies the negative and arranges for prood to be supplied back to you.

Do they stay on with you for the 30 minutes it can take to establish a correct result ? Please excuse my cynicism.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Thank you to everyone who has responded so far.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Is anyone aware of where I can get a "supervised" LFT test....and possibly the cost ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Done all my travel testing via Chronomics

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I believe https://www.qured.com/ do this. They'll send you the box, you do it yourself and email in the results (with photo proof) and then send you the result via email very quickly. I've used them before and they're very good

Thankyou very much. They look exactly what I need...( I hope ! ).

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Gatwick Airport, result in 40 minutes.

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/gatwick-airport/#Gatwick Airport - Walk Through

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It only takes 5 minutes or so and, yes, they stay on and check the result. You cynicism is unwarranted :)

I have read a few times that you need to wait 30 minutes for a correct result eg

‘Test results
The time it takes for your result to appear depends on whether your test is a:

throat and nose swab – 30 minutes exactly
nose swab only (blue and white box) – between 15 and 30 minutes, but no longer than 30 minutes
nose swab only (green and white box) – 15 minutes, and no longer than 20 minutes’

Source; https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesse...-to-do-a-lateral-flow-device-lfd-test-at-home

There are plenty of other sources that say the same.

My cynicism comes from the fact that you can declare whatever result you like and the distinct possibility that people are not waiting the recommended time to get a correct result. If anybody has ever done a supervised test I would be interested to know whether or not that is the case. My suspicion is that it is simply a huge box ticking exercise.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I have read a few times that you need to wait 30 minutes for a correct result eg

‘Test results
The time it takes for your result to appear depends on whether your test is a:

throat and nose swab – 30 minutes exactly
nose swab only (blue and white box) – between 15 and 30 minutes, but no longer than 30 minutes
nose swab only (green and white box) – 15 minutes, and no longer than 20 minutes’

Source; https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesse...-to-do-a-lateral-flow-device-lfd-test-at-home

There are plenty of other sources that say the same.

My cynicism comes from the fact that you can declare whatever result you like and the distinct possibility that people are not waiting the recommended time to get a correct result. If anybody has ever done a supervised test I would be interested to know whether or not that is the case. My suspicion is that it is simply a huge box ticking exercise.

I have done supervised tests. You swab up your nose, stick the swab in the liquid, shake it and then put a few drops of the liquid on the test unit. If negative you get 1 red line and if positive you get 2 red lines. The supervisor must see the test unit and the red line or lines. It takes about 5 minutes, maybe 10.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have done supervised tests. You swab up your nose, stick the swab in the liquid, shake it and then put a few drops of the liquid on the test unit. If negative you get 1 red line and if positive you get 2 red lines. The supervisor must see the test unit and the red line or lines. It takes about 5 minutes, maybe 10.

If it is nose swab only it should have taken 15 to 20 minutes according to the NHS website I quoted..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here