Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] chris wood to arabia-on-tyne

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Not quite the calibre of signing most of them were expecting in January!

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Great, He can eventually become the player who's scored against us for every team in the league.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
A pretty underwhelming signing , he has hardly been a star performer for Burnley this season, and certainly not close to the world class signing that the Toon Army would have been hoping for.

This does seem to indicate that perhaps Newcastle aren't going to find signing the players they need to get them to safety quite as easy as they may have imagined, as this one doesnt seem to be anything like the upgrade they need.

Does it even weaken Burnley that much? It will be interesting to see what the price tag is

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
£22m, 31 and 18-months left on his deal.

I'm sure they back themselves to get some sort of replacement, but they're probably going down anyway.

And Newcastle have to cash to burn - it makes sense for both clubs IMO...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Two weeks into the window and they’re reduced to signing strikers to try and get promotion from the Championship next year.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
It’s surely more of a signing of stopping Burnley.

this. in terms of staying up, it's actually pretty smart. norwich and watford are almost certainly going down, burnley are the only ones who have enough real quality to keep newcastle in the bottom 3. taking their 10 goal player changes that picture substantially

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good signing for them

Someone who’s seen it and done it in this league .

He won’t be prolific but will get them points

Exactly what they need at this moment in time IMO

All very well going after mega stars but they take time to settle . Wood will be ready

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Wow, £22m for a striker to replace Callum Wilson whilst injured. The other options must have dried up. Amazingly short sighted.

That's what I though initially, but he's also pretty much Burnley's only source of goals and will be a huge miss for them which in turn benefits Newcastle.

He'll score a couple of goals for Blood Money United and may even keep them up. Ultimately, £22m is nothing to them so if it works there's no real impact to them financially. They're a team that can afford short term signings and not bat an eyelid.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
That's what I though initially, but he's also pretty much Burnley's only source of goals and will be a huge miss for them which in turn benefits Newcastle.

He'll score a couple of goals for Blood Money United and may even keep them up. Ultimately, £22m is nothing to them so if it works there's no real impact to them financially. They're a team that can afford short term signings and not bat an eyelid.

True I guess. I wonder what Dyche will think about it. It’s a ready made excuse for him unless Burnley have their eyes on a decent replacement who can fill the gap.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Not this season he isn’t.

Burnley staying up rests completely on the shoulders of Maxwel Cornet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here