Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Inside Dubai - anyone watched ?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Just seen this on BBC I player recently added.

Far from being a good advert for living or holidaying there , it seems to have done the complete opposite with Twitter in meltdown with how badly the domestic staff are treated there & how poorly they are paid by people who clearly are very wealthy .

I have always thought it was a soulless place with some quite sinister undertones regarding their laws and lack of human rights if you happen to fall foul of them .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why the meltdown over domestic staff ? They seemed very happy, paid well over what they’d earn at home and if I remember one of them cried because of how happy they were compared to previous employers in Lebanon, how well they were treated and effectively her wages were funding her kids school & university in the Philippines ?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not what I saw . Hardworking maid paid £20 per day and sees her son once a year because she can’t afford the airfare whilst her employer has just spent £80k on a private jet flight for him and his family .

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The beaches are nice. The rest of it is a rather desperate place. I did not enjoy my time there.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not what I saw . Hardworking maid paid £20 per day and sees her son once a year because she can’t afford the airfare whilst her employer has just spent £80k on a private jet flight for him and his family .

If it’s the episode I saw with the lady from Jersey, then the all the housekeeping staff seemed very happy, best family they worked for and what it meant for their families back in the Philippines.

Plus they all had their accommodation, food etc included …

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I can’t put my finger on it but something about the whole place seems dodgy as ****

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Never seen the appeal. Changing planes there was enough.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Missed this one, but inside Jordan is worth a watch.

Before or after reconstructive cosmetic surgery? ???

Edit I see [MENTION=19800]lawros left foot[/MENTION] beat me to it. Although I think my take was slinkier :shrug:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I spent a month working there several years ago and enjoyed it. Why? Among other things:

1. Lots of great eating, especially Asian - Indian (many regional varieties), Iranian, Lebanese and much more and not at all expensive.
2. Good metro system for getting around.
3. Good beaches.
4. Great weather (October/November).
5. I found the main city and waterfront interesting and enjoyable to spend time in and around.

I got to know a few from the Philippines and India in particular, and they seemed happy with their lot, but they could of course be telling me what they wanted me to hear. They were well paid compared to what they would have been in their home countries but at a cost as others have said.

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
I spent 3 days there for work a couple of years ago and went a bit reluctant and being totally convinced I'd hate it, but for reasons I don't even know myself really liked it. Through working with a number of different big companies there I've seen how many aren't that far behind here in looking after employees and their rights whether legally obligated or not. Of course that may not extend to smaller companies and private employment. UAE has also just reduced it's working week to 4.5 days which is quite a progressive policy (I think a lot of companies here will be doing 4 day weeks in the next 10 years).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems like a dusty building site full of Premier League footballers and YouTube Influencers. Not for me.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I turned over briefly to see a wealthy British estate agent showing us his bland, tasteless house on the beach of the sterile Palm Island, saying a heartless goodbye to his indifferent wife and then as a complete afterthought another dismissive goodbye to his maid then jumping into his typical Porsche which probably only briefly distracts him from his soulless life.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If it’s the episode I saw with the lady from Jersey, then the all the housekeeping staff seemed very happy, best family they worked for and what it meant for their families back in the Philippines.

Plus they all had their accommodation, food etc included …

Did you miss the references to being deported or arrested if you say the wrong thing? That was the lady "from Jersey" (tax haven) who had three unread books written by the king, all of which she loved and recommended and shared with the camera, none of which she'd read.

Not sure those Philippino staff would say anything other than they love working there.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Never seen the appeal. Changing planes there was enough.

I few years ago I flew to Sri Lanka and opted for overnighter on route.

Really wished I hadn't bothered. If you just want a dull beach holiday devoid of any culture its OK, but thats about it. And yes certain migrants they treat like shit...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here