Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hasenhuttl - New signings should be BANNED from re-arranged games

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...signings-from-rearranged-games-premier-league

Obviously triggered by the fact that Newcastle successfully got their fixture at Southampton binned off because Callum Wilson and Saint-Maximin got crocked in their last game (SORRY - I meant "new covid cases in the squad"). Now in the re-arranged game, they'll be facing Newcastle + Trippier and whoever else they splurge on this month.

I don't normally have much sympathy for the bloke who collapsed to the turf in floods of tears and snot after his team had just scraped a lucky win over a manky injury-hit Liverpool in a ho-hum run of the mill mid-season fixture. But I think he has a very fair point here. Why should clubs who get a game postponed have the benefit of new January signings bolstering the team for the re-arranged fixture, when it should've been played last month ? For the integrity of the competition, the EPL should be taking heed and applying this rule tootsweet IMO.

But they won't.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It is a stupid point. What if Newcastle sell 5 players? Do they need to go back to Newcastle and play the game to ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is a stupid point. What if Newcastle sell 5 players? Do they need to go back to Newcastle and play the game to ?

Not really. If Newcastle flog 5 players then that was their choice wunnit.

(might actually happen literally)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
As a principle I get what he is saying but how are you going to apply something as fluid as team selection during a 9 month season.

What if Newcastle sell several players and buy several in ? If the ones that are brought in can’t be played will be in the same situation where they don’t have enough players to fufill the fixture.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As a principle I get what he is saying but how are you going to apply something as fluid as team selection during a 9 month season.

What if Newcastle sell several players and buy several in ? If the ones that are brought in can’t be played will be in the same situation where they don’t have enough players to fufill the fixture.

Its quite simple. Any player a club signs during January is not eligible to play in a fixture that was re-arranged from a date prior to the purchase being made. They should not have the benefit of that. If it means drafting in U23's then so be it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He does have a point - a very good one, but just about impossible to implement without further injustices/claims of injustice/potential law suits. It might have been more practical if the PL had had the sense to lay down clear criteria for the postponement and replaying of games due to this bloody Covid virus, but ..............................

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Don't these EPL managers just LOVE to bitch and moan about every damn thing. That guy in particular is living on borrowed time and running ln fumes. Jeez! :rolleyes:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its not a stupid point.

You may not agree with it - but it is an extremely valid one.

Why though? What if different players are injured, what if the weather is worse etc... What if players are now at AFCON?

This has only come up now - because it is Newcastle. I don't recall this ever coming up before.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Its quite simple. Any player a club signs during January is not eligible to play in a fixture that was re-arranged from a date prior to the purchase being made. They should not have the benefit of that. If it means drafting in U23's then so be it.

Simple ? Maybe

Stupid ? Absolutely

Too much moaning about unfair advantages etc etc yet these teams refuse to back a salary cap or anything to make things in the league more even, while some clubs spaff £100m on players to sit on the bench at clubs while others can’t afford to spend at all.

Teams (including Southampton) benefitted massively from project restart and players who were out for the season becoming available… I didn’t see them complaining then ?

And of course changing the rules of a competition half way through … seems fair as well doesn’t it

North East Seagull

Jul 6, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I agree with him, I would not be surprised if some teams that requested postponements due to Covid-related absentees, were trying to buy some time (to the January window). But I would only stop the teams requesting (and being granted) the postponement from playing their new signings in the affected games. If they let players leave before the game is played that's their look out.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its not a stupid point.

You may not agree with it - but it is an extremely valid one.

And Ralph knows full well how the PL works and changing rules etc. He even said it came up at a managers meeting and presumably didn't have enough support to go to a proper vote or whatever so he's run to the press. You can't just keep making big rule changes like this as and when.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Newcastle refuse to play their U23s in any first-team competition - literally prefer to have an empty place on the bench.

Can only imagine how GASH they must be.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But why should a player who was injured on the original date be allowed to play on the new date. Same situation as Ralph is making on transferred players

That is not even remotely the 'same situation', as playing a player who was ineligible (unregistered) at the time of the original fixture.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Simple ? Maybe

Stupid ? Absolutely

Too much moaning about unfair advantages etc etc yet these teams refuse to back a salary cap or anything to make things in the league more even, while some clubs spaff £100m on players to sit on the bench at clubs while others can’t afford to spend at all.

Teams (including Southampton) benefitted massively from project restart and players who were out for the season becoming available… I didn’t see them complaining then ?

And of course changing the rules of a competition half way through … seems fair as well doesn’t it

A fair amount of whataboutery there.

But on the actual case being discussed, I think its a valid point to make. I wouldn't be at all surprised if clubs have stalled on playing fixtures in order to get to January and have a chance of patching up their squad before they play these re-arranged games. Project Restart was imposed on all clubs, nobody had a choice when the season stopped and then re-started. Its entirely different to the situation we have now where some clubs (like us ) have played on through despite having covid cases with key players, whilst others have grizzled and got their games postponed.

This rule wouldn't solve all ills, but it would at least partially address the issue of SOME clubs gaining an unfair advantage this month by bolstering their depleted squads in time for their re-arranged game(s) that they themselves had called off.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Said at the time it was very fishy that Newcastle needed to postpone a game against one of the league's shittier teams (ie a game they could win) when they were just days away from being able to splurge some cash and had injuries to key players. Ralph's a bit of a knob but he's got a point here IMO.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
And Ralph knows full well how the PL works and changing rules etc. He even said it came up at a managers meeting and presumably didn't have enough support to go to a proper vote or whatever so he's run to the press. You can't just keep making big rule changes like this as and when.

We all have our views. There is a clear counter argument to yours.

I was merely pointing out that just because you don't agree with something, it doesn't make it stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here